ESPN - Rams cutting scouting combine attendance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive

In what could portend the wave of the future, the Broncos are not sending their assistant coaches to the scouting combine in Indianapolis this year because they believe they'll make better use of their time by watching film back in Denver, league sources told ESPN on Friday.

Additionally, the Rams are not sending their offensive and defensive coordinators, Kevin O'Connell and Brandon Staley, to the combine because they would rather have them in Los Angeles implementing the team's new offensive and defensive schemes, sources said.

In a copycat league, the Broncos and Rams could be establishing a trend that other teams will follow, leaving coaches behind to watch the combine on TV and do their own scouting work in the office.

Broncos head coach Vic Fangio, who will attend this year's combine in person, told ESPN he thought the assistant coaches' time would be better spent study prospects on tape rather than in person.

The Broncos' assistant coaches also will have access to the combine private interviews led by the personnel staff and Fangio in Indianapolis.

Rams head coach Sean McVay will attend the opening days of the combine, fulfilling his obligation to speak with the media, before returning to Los Angeles to continue implementing his systems with his two new coordinators, sources told ESPN. The rest of the Rams' coaching staff will attend the combine.

Both organizations believed there was better use of their time than to attend the combine en masse, sources told ESPN. Though it did not drive either team's decision, there also is a hefty financial savings for each organization by not having everyone travel to Indianapolis.

Interesting approach. If nothing else, I'm glad McVay is open to different ways of using his resources. We'll see if it becomes permanent.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see no problem with this. They'll send position coaches to interview players and they can set up private workouts as well as attend pro days for more interviews.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I wonder if they might have taken a different route if we still had a first rounder? Anyway, fwiw I totally agree that getting the new coordinators integrated is a better use of time. These college guys are so over-scouted these days. Watch some damn film and trust your gut instead of measuring how many eights of an inch a prospects dick is.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I presume they record the interviews with a script of some sort so no big deal there. Also I would think they get full video of all the workouts and events.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Good

Rather they spend the time finding intelligent football players and perform some due diligence to ensure they have a decent character vs watching workout wonders who have been endlessly coached and taught how to perform at the Combine.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Other coaches enjoying all that the combine has to offer, meanwhile back at Rams' Park...

RespectfulViciousArmadillo-size_restricted.gif

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Just saw this on BSPN. Says they will stay in LA to work on new schemes. Broncos staff not attending either.

I guess since they don't have a first round pick (for another decade), they don't feel it is worth it?? But not sending anyone? Weird.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I’m guessing they may have their eyes on certain skill players who may not get invited to the combine. With our first pick being at 52, that kind of makes sense. I’m sure we’ll have a presence at plenty of pro days.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just saw this on BSPN. Says they will stay in LA to work on new schemes. Broncos staff not attending either.

I guess since they don't have a first round pick (for another decade), they don't feel it is worth it?? But not sending anyone? Weird.
All video from the underwear olympics are available to each club. So I'd wager position coaches will travel to do interviews with targets and they'll set up private workouts or attend pro days as well.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Until they run the 40 in full pads and helmet, do actual contact drills and run scrimmages, the combine is a waste of time. Looks like they think taking a week off of implementing strategy at home for the combine isn't worth the time.

Good to know they value what time they have to get ready for the next season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if they might have taken a different route if we still had a first rounder? Anyway, fwiw I totally agree that getting the new coordinators integrated is a better use of time. These college guys are so over-scouted these days. Watch some damn film and trust your gut instead of measuring how many eights of an inch a prospects dick is.
This might be an indicator of more trust being put in the Rams' internal scouting reports too. Coaches are human, and of course they'll have opinions on guys that differ from the scouts and maybe that caused some drama behind the scenes prior to the 2019 draft.

2020 seems like a "get everyone on the same page" type of alignment offseason thus far with the staff. Wouldn't surprise me if it also spills into the scouting side and how they interface with the coaches.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Maybe they can send someone to scout for Kromer.

Yeah maybe they should trade up & draft the next Jason Smith & Greg Robinson.

It’s not like Kromer hasn’t helped take The Rams to the Super Bowl &!have them set on the O@Line for the future.

Then again The Rams won’t be drafting an O@Lineman anyway.

oldnotdead

Legend
I have absolutely no problem with this. As I've said, this team is built. They will be drafting for the future and depth. The Rams have their starters at every position already on the team. This is a young team that is going to get better as they grow and develop.

QB Goff
RB Gurley
WR's Woods, Cooks, Kupp, Reynolds
TE's Higbee & Everett
LT Noteboom
LG Corbett
C Allen
RG Evans
RT Edwards

DE Okoronkwo
NT Gaines
DT Donald
WIL Fowler
SAM Ebukam
MIKE Littleton
MO Young
CBs Ramsey & Long
Safeties Johnson & Rapp

K Zuerlein?
P Hekker
LS McQuaide
KR Webster

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Yeah maybe they should trade up & draft the next Jason Smith & Greg Robinson.

It’s not like Kromer hasn’t helped take The Rams to the Super Bowl &!have them set on the O@Line for the future.

Then again The Rams won’t be drafting an O@Lineman anyway.
I will bet you real money that the Rams do draft at least one offensive lineman in the 2020 draft. How about $20?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I will bet you real money that the Rams do draft at least one offensive lineman in the 2020 draft. How about $20?

That would be perfect, but ROD coins is best around here. When the draft comes around though, we can venture back to this.

—Just to add. Who do you like & at what round do you think this will happen ??

Kevin

Pro Bowler
That would be perfect, but ROD coins is best around here. When the draft comes around though, we can venture back to this.

—Just to add. Who do you like & at what round do you think this will happen ??
Rod coins are fake money. I don’t care about that. $20 real money.

I'm not a scout. At best I could guess based on who they visit And that list comes out much closer to the draft.