Eric Winston rips Chiefs fans for cheering Cassel injury

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Posted by Darin Gantt

Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel may not be very popular in the stands, but he still has support in the locker room.

Chiefs right tackle Eric Winston took fans to task for cheering when Cassel left the game with a head injury.

The veteran blocker called a group of reporters over, and said the following words, via Arrowhead Pride:

“We are athletes, OK? We are athletes. We are not gladiators. This is not the Roman Coliseum. People pay their hard-earned money when they come in here and I believe they can boo, they can cheer and they can do whatever they want, I believe that. We are lucky to play this game. People, it’s hard to economic times, and they still pay the money to do this.

“But when somebody gets hurt, there are long lasting ramifications to the game we play, long lasting ramifications to the game we play. I’ve already kinda come to the understanding that I won’t live as long because I play this game and that’s OK, that’s a choice I’ve made and a choice all of us have made.

“But when you cheer, when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don’t care who it is, and it just so happened to be Matt Cassel — it’s sickening. It’s 100 percent sickening. I’ve been in some rough times on some rough teams, I’ve never been more embarrassed in my life to play football than in that moment right there.

“I get emotional about it because these guys, they work their butts off. Matt Cassel hasn’t done anything to you people, hasn’t done anything to you people. Hasn’t done anything to the media writers that kill him, hasn’t done anything wrong to the people that come out here and cheer him. Hey, if he’s not the best quarterback then he’s not the best quarterback and that’s OK. But he’s a person. And he got knocked out in a game and we have 70,000 people cheering that he got knocked out?

“Boo him all you want. Boo me all you want. Throw me under the bus. Tell me I’m doing a bad job. Say I gotta protect him more. Do whatever you want. Say whatever you want. But if you are one of those people, one of those people that were out there cheering or even smiled when he got knocked out, I just want to let you know, and I want everybody to know that I think it’s sickening and disgusting. We are not gladiators and this is not the Roman Coliseum. This is a game.

“I’ll sit here and I’ll answer all your questions for the next 30 minutes if you want to ask them and I’ll take all the responsibility I can take because I deserve it but don’t blame a guy, and don’t cheer for a guy who has done everything in his power to play as good as he can for the fans.

“It’s sickening. And I was embarrassed. I want every single one of you people to put this on your station and in your newspapers because I want every fan to know that. This is a game that’s going to cost us a lot down the road. That’s OK. We picked it, we deserve it and I don’t want your pity. But we have a lot of problems as a society if people think that’s OK.

“I’ll get off my soap box and you guys can ask any football question you want.”

No, Eric, that pretty much covers it.

The Chiefs have played poorly. Frankly, they are a disaster. Cassel leads the parade.

But for too many fans, their passion for the team leads them to forget that the laundry they’re cheering for has a human being inside it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... el-injury/

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This was pretty sad. I watched this game, could already hear chants for Quinn earlier in the game, so I think that can explain a little bit of the cheering because people wanted to see him get a shot. There was a build-up of frustration throughout the game. They were barely throwing the ball, and on most 3rd & long plays they would run the ball. They clearly showed no faith in Cassel, and when he did get few opportunities to pass, it ended badly with turnovers. There had to be some people thinking "ok, now we have a shot to win this game" the moment Cassel was injured because of all the things that happened throughout the game and they have had a disappointing season so far. That just shows how much people care about winning, and can easily forget that its just a game.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Pretty low rent if you ask me. Sure, I want the Rams to win and if they had a back up QB that I thought gave them a better chance to win, I'd cheer for him to be in the game but to cheer when someone goes down so your guy can get in the game is sick.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah. That's just dirt bag low class action. Glad he called them out. You cheer when ANY player gets up from an injury (Giants players flopping aside) whether you like the player or not - if it's your player or not. You don't cheer FOR an injury. Pretty disgusting.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nobody's ever done that?

Ever?

Not even from the comfort of your own living room?

What if Justin King got waxed on special teams or something last year?

Nothing?

C'mon.....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Nobody's ever done that?

Ever?

Nothing?

C'mon.....

Nope. Sorry - can't help yuh. I've certainly ooh'd and awed at bone crushing hits and lately a little blood trickling from Kolb's grill made me grin. So to answer your question Paulie - I think that's way different than what the KC fans did. I've never cheered a player having to be taken to the locker room. Personally, I am always glad when a player gets up in football. It's already a brutal sport. I love seeing an opposing player get whacked hard. I just don't wish ill on him beyond that. Now if you would have used Tom Brady in your example... :cheese:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
Nobody's ever done that?

Ever?

Nothing?

C'mon.....

No. I didn't even cheer when Adam Carriker went down this year. I may not like the guy, but I'd never cheer for him to be hurt. Unless the player happens to be a real piece of shit off the field (i.e., Lawrence Phillips and Claude Terrell), I don't think I could ever bring myself to cheer when anyone goes down with a serious injury.

Winston's right. This is not a fucking colosseum in ancient Rome, and these players are not fucking gladiators. They're human beings with their own lives, and I hope that the people who cheered when Cassel was lying on the ground with a fucking head injury feel completely ashamed of themselves for the horseshit actions they pulled. If they aren't, then they need to pull their fucking heads out of their fucking asses and get a fucking grip on reality.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well that's good. I was parroting what I heard on Mike & Mike this morning, and everyone answers it the same way. I couldn't think of a player on the Rams that anyone would have wanted to see hurt, so I just picked the guy that played the worst. Of course it's classless. Of course it's insensitive. A lot of the KC fans were playing it off as if they were cheering for Brady Quinn as opposed to Cassell laying the ground, but I don't buy it. That went on for too long after he was hit.

I've never cheered another player getting hurt on any team. Let alone my own. Never hated a player on my own team enough to even think about that. But aside from that, I know what it's like to get injured and lose the ability to keep playing football. That's worse than the injury itself. Like 10X worse.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Winston is one of my favourite NFL players after that. Top class ranting, and he's right of course.

I didn't cheer RG3s injury, but I'd be lying if i said i didn't think about the potential benefits for our team...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
ScotsRam said:
Winston is one of my favourite NFL players after that. Top class ranting, and he's right of course.

I didn't cheer RG3s injury, but I'd be lying if i said i didn't think about the potential benefits for our team...

Right, it's only natural after the fact to think of the RAMifications. (see what I did there?)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
Nobody's ever done that?

Ever?

Nothing?

C'mon.....

I did it in a bar. I've told this story a few times. My older brother and I used to get together and go to a sports bar to watch the game on Monday nights and enjoy their great wings. Keyshawn Johnson was playing and I disliked him because of his attitude, the book he had just written and the mouth on him (though I like him as a commentator) and I said out loud "I hope he gets knocked the eff out". Sure enough.....he got crushed and was laying on the field on his back with his arm frozen upwards. He came out of it after a few moments and was fine but man I have to tell you I felt awful.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LesBaker said:
X said:
Nobody's ever done that?

Ever?

Nothing?

C'mon.....

I did it in a bar. I've told this story a few times. My older brother and I used to get together and go to a sports bar to watch the game on Monday nights and enjoy their great wings. Keyshawn Johnson was playing and I disliked him because of his attitude, the book he had just written and the mouth on him (though I like him as a commentator) and I said out loud "I hope he gets knocked the eff out". Sure enough.....he got crushed and was laying on the field on his back with his arm frozen upwards. He came out of it after a few moments and was fine but man I have to tell you I felt awful.
Yeah, good point about the reaction. It was funny as hell to them for some reason, whereas most people would be in shock seeing a woman get her teeth rattled by a grown man.