Entering year two, Joe Noteboom feels prepared for larger role thanks to a season alongside his idol

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/noteboom-feels-prepared-for-larger-role

Entering year two, Joe Noteboom feels prepared for larger role thanks to a season alongside his idols
by Clarence Dennis

Rams offense was reluctant to roll out its rookies in 2018. From a play-making perspective, head coach Sean McVay’s unit relied heavily on its shortlist of high-flying wide receivers and the NFL’s leader in touchdowns out of the backfield. In the trenches, the second-year head coach relied even more heavily on his heaviest players — members of the mostly-veteran Built Ford Tough Offensive Line of the Year.

jv0dp6r9pcabtzmpcdr6.jpg

Each member of the Rams starting offensive line played at least 94-percent of offensive snaps in the Super Bowl season. The right side of the line — guard Austin Blythe and tackle Rob Havenstein — played every single snap.

If anyone felt the consequences of the L.A.’s enduring O-line, outside of the pass rushers who came up short of sacking quarterback Jared Goff and the defenses that watched running back Todd Gurley burst out of the backfield, it was rookie offensive lineman Joseph Noteboom.

Noteboom — the Rams top draft pick in 2018 (Round 3, No. 89) — appeared in all 16 games in of his rookie season, but played just seven percent of all snaps, making him the second-most called upon rook in McVay’s offense, but just by a smidge. He finished the year trailing undrafted wideout KhaDarel Hodge in snaps by fewer than one percentage point.

Following his first season as a pro, mostly spent a few feet from football’s top playing field, Noteboom is not complaining — in fact he doesn’t say much at all. The 6-foot-5, 321-pound 23-year-old is often teased for being the quiet guy around the Rams facility.

“Coming in being a rookie, you never want to be the loud and annoy the veterans, so just coming in, this is all still kind of star-striking for me,” Noteboom explained. “Just seeing guys like [LT] Andrew Whitworth, [former LG] Rodger Saffold, guys that I’ve been watching for 10 years now, idolizing those guys and then coming in here — it’s hard not to stay back and watch them, observe how they do things.”

“I don’t see any disadvantages to sitting out a year, you’re maybe getting less experience on the field, but getting those practice reps was basically all I needed and that film work,” the rookie added. “I’d say it's more advantageous than disadvantageous.”

Noteboom’s noticed former center John Sullivan’s impressive football knowledge and film study, Saffold’s weight room work ethic, and Whitworth’s leadership on and off the field in year one. He says the combination of those examples of veteran, role-model guidance, along with offensive line coach Aaron Kromer’s focus on developing youth in McVay’s line — specifically when his proven veterans took their weekly rest day — has readied him for the playing field whenever his time comes.

“That’s been one of the best things about being here so far, is just kind of having those veterans to just guide me along the way, having the redshirt year to watch those guys and see how they do things on and off the field,” Noteboom said. “Getting to sit behind those guys, getting to watch for an extra year, letting me sit back and kind of observe how they do things, I kind of modeled my game after that and got a bunch of practice reps for Whitworth and Saffold.”

mrgxqfgyzr7whj9dqm50.jpg

The offensive line apprenticeship could flip to NFL action quick for Noteboom, considering Sullivan’s departure in free agency, Saffold becoming a Tennessee Titan, and Whitworth tossing retirement aside for season 14.

Addressing the media after adding safety Eric Weddle to the defense earlier this month, general manager Les Snead described Noteboom as the hypothetical “heir” to Saffold’s vacated seat at left guard after nine seasons on the offensive line. And although the GM did not rule out drafting a starting lineman, Noteboom, who is listed as a tackle, but cross-trained at guard — a staple of Kromer’s coaching — doesn’t blink when considering a larger role in 2019.

“Just knowing that anything can happen — guys can get hurt, guys can leave — you want to be prepared, you don’t want to be the new guy coming in and slacking, being a weak spot on the O-line, so you just kind of work hard,” Noteboom said, before describing the product of his time so far as the “new guy” in the offensive line room.

“Nothing when you go into the game is going to be unexpected, you just kind of know that and go out there and play 100 percent and it all works out.”

wqmemyvifljohm6yc5yk.jpg

The next-in-line former Horned Frog doesn’t have it all figured out after his first professional season as a soft-spoken observer — but he sure wants to. Noteboom was quick to rattle off how he hopes to improve before the possibility of sliding into the spotlight next season.

“I want to figure out how to study the defense little more, kind of get a bigger picture. I know a lot about the D-line, linebackers, so I just want to work on seeing the whole picture, see what the center sees because they pretty much know everything because they make all the calls,” Noteboom said. “Once you get all the film work done and studying, you kind of just go out there and play.”

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Just re-watched the second Niner game last night. Whit had a knee injury in the 2nd quarter and Boom had to come in cold and finish the game for him.

Boom had an outstanding game, y’all. Not “pretty good”, but outstanding. No visible drop off from Whit that I could see.

IMO, Boom proved himself to the coaches and they became convinced that they had their future starter at LOT.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
This kid is the real deal! Honestly, he worried me with his long looks (was't sure anyone was home upstairs lol), but Noteboom is definitely dialed in.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Just re-watched the second Niner game last night. Whit had a knee injury in the 2nd quarter and Boom had to come in cold and finish the game for him.

Boom had an outstanding game, y’all. Not “pretty good”, but outstanding. No visible drop off from Whit that I could see.

IMO, Boom proved himself to the coaches and they became convinced that they had their future starter at LOT.
I don't remember a flaw in his game at any point in the season.
I don't think he had a penalty.
I don't think he missed an assignment or allowed a sack or missed a blocking assignment.

Now he will be starting with two camps under his belt and a year of experience. Ideal.

If we found our left tackle of the future or even a 8 to 9 year OL starter in the third round?
That would be a serious coup.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Huge fan of Noteboom. He was very impressive in the Niners game when Whit went out, and I trust him to play outstanding at left guard and - eventually - left tackle.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Huge fan of Noteboom. He was very impressive in the Niners game when Whit went out, and I trust him to play outstanding at left guard and - eventually - left tackle.

Starting Left Guard will be a great position for him and us. Can't wait to see him get meaningful playing time.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's not his ability that concerns me, it's his lack of experience. Same with Allen. 2nd year players with no starting experience and very few snaps, playing next to each other is a recipe for disaster. And the OL depth doesn't look any better.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Plug n pkay starter lineman might be BPA at 31. But if not, I am not concerned with the options they will have round 3 on.

Rams know what they're doing now.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It's not his ability that concerns me, it's his lack of experience. Same with Allen. 2nd year players with no starting experience and very few snaps, playing next to each other is a recipe for disaster. And the OL depth doesn't look any better.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Boom, bubba.

He sure didn’t look like a rookie when he got thrown in against the 49ers in game 17.

He looked like a 5 year vet Pro Bowler.

I’m relying on Kromer with regard to Allen. But certain draft decisions might give us a clue as to Kromer’s confidence level in Allen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Starting Left Guard will be a great position for him and us. Can't wait to see him get meaningful playing time.
Agree Noteboom would appear to be the best Ram prospect to take up the mantle of the vacant Rodger Saffold LG post.

This plan is a good one as long as our starting LT Whitworth is not showing signs of degrading. Noteboom role in 2018 was very important. He was the player who took up the LT post in numerous practices in TC / Pre-season & during the entire regular season weekly practices. It was Noteboom playing LT that kept Whitworth able to continue to play effectively last season even though he was the oldest starting LT in the NFL. Whitworth will be 38 yrs old on 12/12/19. So who will replace Noteboom 2018 LT role? McVay does not have another LT reserve @ this Time. So a big question that oozes out is ....who would be the 2nd team LT in OTA's & Training Cap practice:thinking:. Some legit LT must be available has to take up this crucial #2 position in practice.:bueller:

Does Kromer go with former WWC & former 6th rd selection of the Packers in 2016 a 6-6-305lb OT Kyle Murphy? KM was a starting RT/LT for Stanford during Jr & Sr seasons. Murphy slid to left tackle at the beginning of his Sr. yr. Murphy is entering his 4th NFL season. KM has 6 NFL games of experience with 3 starts @ both OT posts for the Packers.

Or does Kromer utilized (small school) & was considered a project... Jamil Demby @ LT, who Snead drafted in the 6th round last season? Demby started all four years in college @ LT /40 games. Played outstanding as a starting emergency fill-in starting LT in the 2018 Senior Bowl game that caught Snead's eye. However in February of 2018 Demby came in very heavy & failed to show NFL-caliber athleticism at the Combine, but his game tape shows he was effective playing LT during actual games. Thus the Analysis by all sports people was IF Jamil was to make it in the NFL it would be @ Left Guard.

During Rams preseason Jamil appeared heavy-footed & marginally athletic when lined up @ OT. But it should be pointed out he came into TC close to 340 lbs. By the end of the Rams 2018 season, he had worked himself back down to 319 lbs. I would expect that we will see a totally different Jamil in 2019 TC. One skill that Jamil has & this should be remembered is he has an outstanding natural feel in the zone blocking or stretch zone runs. Lateral quickness is excellent for an OL'er for someone of this size. I would not write off Jamil Demby from the starting left OG post in 2019.;)

Ram65

Legend
Those practice reps make me feel good about Boom being ready to come right in and play well. He got some PT during the season too. He's not Rodger Saffold but, I think we get a very capable OG in his first year as a starter. Could be close to RS by the end of the season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Those practice reps make me feel good about Boom being ready to come right in and play well. He got some PT during the season too. He's not Rodger Saffold but, I think we get a very capable OG in his first year as a starter. Could be close to RS by the end of the season.

True but were they not ongoing reps directed toward the Left T A C K L E position NOT the OG post?

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
I wouldn’t worry too much about Boom, bubba.

He sure didn’t look like a rookie when he got thrown in against the 49ers in game 17.

He looked like a 5 year vet Pro Bowler.

I’m relying on Kromer with regard to Allen. But certain draft decisions might give us a clue as to Kromer’s confidence level in Allen.

They both got a series in against a tough Bears defense & held up.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Agree Noteboom would appear to be the best Ram prospect to take up the mantle of the vacant Rodger Saffold LG post.

This plan is a good one as long as our starting LT Whitworth is not showing signs of degrading. Noteboom role in 2018 was very important. He was the player who took up the LT post in numerous practices in TC / Pre-season & during the entire regular season weekly practices. It was Noteboom playing LT that kept Whitworth able to continue to play effectively last season even though he was the oldest starting LT in the NFL. Whitworth will be 38 yrs old on 12/12/19. So who will replace Noteboom 2018 LT role? McVay does not have another LT reserve @ this Time. So a big question that oozes out is ....who would be the 2nd team LT in OTA's & Training Cap practice:thinking:. Some legit LT must be available has to take up this crucial #2 position in practice.:bueller:

Does Kromer go with former WWC & former 6th rd selection of the Packers in 2016 a 6-6-305lb OT Kyle Murphy? KM was a starting RT/LT for Stanford during Jr & Sr seasons. Murphy slid to left tackle at the beginning of his Sr. yr. Murphy is entering his 4th NFL season. KM has 6 NFL games of experience with 3 starts @ both OT posts for the Packers.

Or does Kromer utilized (small school) & was considered a project... Jamil Demby @ LT, who Snead drafted in the 6th round last season? Demby started all four years in college @ LT /40 games. Played outstanding as a starting emergency fill-in starting LT in the 2018 Senior Bowl game that caught Snead's eye. However in February of 2018 Demby came in very heavy & failed to show NFL-caliber athleticism at the Combine, but his game tape shows he was effective playing LT during actual games. Thus the Analysis by all sports people was IF Jamil was to make it in the NFL it would be @ Left Guard.

During Rams preseason Jamil appeared heavy-footed & marginally athletic when lined up @ OT. But it should be pointed out he came into TC close to 340 lbs. By the end of the Rams 2018 season, he had worked himself back down to 319 lbs. I would expect that we will see a totally different Jamil in 2019 TC. One skill that Jamil has & this should be remembered is he has an outstanding natural feel in the zone blocking or stretch zone runs. Lateral quickness is excellent for an OL'er for someone of this size. I would not write off Jamil Demby from the starting left OG post in 2019.;)

Over Noteboom??

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
True but were they not ongoing reps directed toward the Left T A C K L E position NOT the OG post?

He came in for Saffold against the Bears last season. Allen for Sullivan,but not at the same time. Demby got cut out of camp !!

Williams took the LT snaps Kromers first year & got beat out by Noteboom,Allen & Brown.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Over Noteboom??
My comments contained in the first paragraph was asking a question. If Joe Noteboom was tied up @ starting LT or involved heavily in playing the LT position in parts for the aging Whitworth who might get considerations as the next possible starting LG prospect from our current OL cadre.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I hope Boom's the next Jackie Slater, but I'm not yet as optimistic as you guys; Saff/Whit are huge shoes to fill. Goff seems to like a calm pocket, and TG seems to like running lanes. I hope Kromer is as advertised....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/kromer-on-joseph-noteboom
Kromer: "Joe showed that ability that we feel like he can go in at left guard and hold his own"
yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg

Myles Simmons/ Wednesday, Apr 03, 2019

When Los Angeles selected offensive lineman Joseph Noteboom at No. 89 in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft, the thought was that eventually Noteboom would take over at left tackle.

At this point, that’s still likely to be the case. But after a year of backing up an offensive line that kept its same starting group from Week 1 to Super Bowl LIII, Noteboom is penciled in to ascend into a first-team role — at left guard.

jv0dp6r9pcabtzmpcdr6.jpg

As run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer said in an interview with therams.com for Season 2 of Behind the Grind, Noteboom showed enough skill and versatility early on that L.A. was confident enough to have him be the backup for every position but center as a rookie.

“Noteboom played left tackle at TCU, was drafted as a tackle prospect, but what we prefer to do in our offense at this organization is move our offensive linemen around if they’re not a starter because you dress seven guys on gameday. So you need somebody who can backup both tackles,” Kromer said. “We felt last year, the best situation was no matter what position other than center, if we needed him, would be Joe. And so Joe got the opportunity to practice at four different spots the entire year. So he was ready to play left tackle, right tackle, right guard, left guard.”

Noteboom did not have many opportunities to get in games, but when he did he excelled. He was in for a few snaps here and there for most of the season, but received the most playing time against the 49ers in Week 17 when left tackle Andrew Whitworth knocked knees with another player and ended up missing about two thirds of the game.

But on the drive where Noteboom entered in the second quarter, the Rams executed a wide receiver screen to Brandin Cooks on the left side for an 18-yard touchdown. Noteboom got off the line perfectly to execute his block on the cornerback to help free up Cooks for what was his second TD of the game.That series — and, really, Noteboom’s performance in that game as a whole — was emblematic of the way he seemed to always know what to do, despite being a particularly quiet presence in the OL room.

“There’s a lot of conversation during the meetings in our meeting room amongst the players — player to player, coach to player, and so on. So making sure we all agree that this is the way it’s going to happen. And with Joe not playing, he wasn’t in that five-man conversation,” Kromer said. “But at the same time, if Joe Noteboom called me right now, didn’t tell me who it was, I might not recognize his voice. That’s how little he talks. But any time that anyone asked him a question in those meetings, he knew the answer. He knew how to do it, what to do. And as a rookie to have that much attention to detail, that says a lot about Joe.”

Noteboom told therams.com that he saw only advantages to sitting behind high-level veterans like Whitworth and left guard Rodger Saffold in his rookie season because he was able to learn so much."That’s been one of the best things about being here so far, is just kind of having those veterans to just guide me along the way, having the redshirt year to watch those guys and see how they do things on and off the field,” Noteboom said. “Getting to sit behind those guys, getting to watch for an extra year, letting me sit back and kind of observe how they do things, I kind of modeled my game after that and got a bunch of practice reps for Whitworth and Saffold.”

So as the Rams get ready to begin their offseason program, Kromer feels Noteboom is prepared to take the next step to become a starter on Los Angeles’ offensive line — largely because of the experience the young OL gained in 2018 to be prepared to play anywhere.“That’s what these guys want coming out of college — just put me on the field. I don’t care what position, I’ll go play,” Kromer said. “And Joe showed that ability that we feel like he can go in at left guard and hold his own.”