Empty shotgun sets and McVay celebrating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

sacram

UDFA
Long time lurker here.

Let me preface this with my overall support of McVay, and what he has done to get this organization turned around....BUT:

On the infamous 3rd and very short shotgun-empty set, that seemed to turn the game around, has been happening all season long. I've noticed that McVay goes to this set in (or near) the red zone, in many cases on 2nd/3rd and short. Overall, McVay is a brilliant offensive mind, but he definitely makes some careless play calls, that in some cases seem like only he would make on the planet earth.

Also, not a major issue, but is anyone else bothered by McVay running down to the end zone and hopping around with the players to celebrate TDs? I just think this a bad look and just looks plain goofy. I have no problem with him showing some emotion, but it seems like a HC should act like they've been there to a certain extent.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Also, not a major issue, but is anyone else bothered by McVay running down to the end zone and hopping around with the players to celebrate TDs? I just think this a bad look and just looks plain goofy. I have no problem with him showing some emotion, but it seems like a HC should act like they've been there to a certain extent.
That's one of those things that would be fine if we'd won.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
I'm not gonna waste time worrying about how our coach celebrates with his guys lol

the empty sets annoy me tho lol

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
If the Rams had won it would be fun to smear that shit on all those whiner fans faces. Dance on all their fucking graves for all I care.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yes, the conversion rate on the empty sets certainly seems below standard.
I don't know how I feel about the celebrating with the players, Never thought about from the act like you have been there perspective

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
1) Couldn't possibly care less about McVay's celebrations. But if I did, I'd encourage more of them.

2) I have come to fucking HATE empty sets over the past two years. Fucking HATE them.

dang

Legend
First off I love McVay but:

1) telegraphing a pass on 3rd and 1 was obviously not a smart move. First it shows lack of confidence on run game that helped get u the 17-0 lead. Secondly it didn’t keep the defense honest.
2) I go by the “act like you’ve been here before” motto so the exuberant celebration was a little premature. I think it poked the bear as well. I would save that for the 4th quarter when u go up by 17. But he is still young and we love his energy.
3). He’s got to be PISSED I mean fukin PISSED!!! about the D. They looked like a #32 defense in the second half snd that will get you fired if you don’t fix it. Please talk with Mr DC and ensure that doesn’t happen in the playoffs or it’s over early and it will be a very long painful off season.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
It's not the empty sets I mind, it's when we can't block 4 rushers with 5 guys that creates the problem. U can't get away with that against San Francisco and Tennessee. Yet OC and McV think they can.

The coaches are supposed to stay between the 20s behind the white line. The ref came down to warn him it's going to cost him 15 next time.

John R

Rookie
Name
John R
Over the past few seasons the Rams have been fairly successful running quarterback sneaks on third and even fourth and short,. I don’t know if Stafford is incapable of doing it, they can’t block anymore or what, but at least line up behind center and make the defense think about it.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here’s a question….Why does the Niner DL…Always…and I mean ALWAYS dominate our OL? The easy answer is draft position, but that’s too easy. There is something else they have solved about our blocking schemes that throws us off….way off. Most of the pressures apparently came through our 2 guards, which I thought were a strength for us. Just plain weird.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Mc Vay has not won anything significant. Until he wins the Super Bowl and brings home the trophy, that is what really counts. Celebrating as though the game was in hand was the fuel for Shanahan, Deebo and Jimmy G String to really shove it in the Rams’ ass. In the end, Mc Vay is still Shanahan’s bitch.
I am still fuming from this loss.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Here’s a question….Why does the Niner DL…Always…and I mean ALWAYS dominate our OL? The easy answer is draft position, but that’s too easy. There is something else they have solved about our blocking schemes that throws us off….way off. Most of the pressures apparently came through our 2 guards, which I thought were a strength for us. Just plain weird.
It’s not draft position, whatever position you draft in you still have to hit on your pics.
They are just acquiring a much more physical D line than most teams have and the Rams are trying to get O lineman on the Cheap. And that combination shows every time they play.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
F 69er fans. High quantity. Low quality. I’m sure there are some decent ones but I’ve yet to meet one. They dont admit when they suck or fail. And They don’t pay up when they lose a bet. Lowest of the low in my book.
I met one. A cool guy I used to work with back in the early 90s. Didn't brag, gloat, or whine like the others do. Told me a story that he was on MNF as a kid for the PPK halftime. Several years later I ended up seeing him do that throw in his 9er gear on youtube, name on the screen, etc and so I sent the edited vid to him. Despite my hatred for 99.9% of whiner fans this guy stood out as the most humble. Plus he was there with them during the pre-80s losing. Not like the ignorant bandwagoners who came out in the 80s who think trophies started then. For me he's the exception.