Emotion is one thing that has me bugged

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
We are all smarting from that loss and the slow start on this season. Players are human too. I'm thinking of the emotional timeline here, as a human. I know I'm finding it hard myself to be able to go through the process of assimilating what has transpired up to this point and then be able to emotionally get "up" for the bitch match. And, I know we need to be totally pumped for this one. I hope that the players and coaches are able to move on quickly, emotionally, and prepare, prepare, prepare for this game. This is now, as circumstances at hand dictates, our biggest game of the year. We can't lose this one. I hope the team can get over that loss and get "up" for this game like they need to be.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
If I was getting paid 6 figures or more per year , I would be able to move on and focus on the next game REAL QUICK.

CodeMonkey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I was getting paid 6 figures or more per year , I would be able to move on and focus on the next game REAL QUICK.
I don't think its that simple. Each of us deals with adversity in a different way and at a different pace. I'm just now beginning to come around and it's already Thursday. It's been a disappointing trip thus far. I don't think any competitor is so completely devoid of emotional attachment regardless of how much they're paid. If they are, I'm worried. I hope the Ram players and coaches quickly compartmentalized the past, which can't be changed, and channel the pain into anger and a resolve work extra hard to beat the living crap out of the seabitches. As a human being, a week is precious little time to work through all of these emotions productively in the face of growing hardship. Go RAMS!!!!!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Sporadic emotion at best so far this season. The best was Davis' fist pumping emotion after we took the lead late in the game against Tampa. Now think back to the first game of the 2012 season. We played Detroit and when Finnegan had the pic-six Fisher was jumping, fist pumping to the point he almost couldn't contain himself. Fast-forward to this season and we see a stoic, un-emotional head coach. I've always believed you are a mirror-image of your coaches, and all I've seen is an almost "business-like" un-emotional team with the occasional show of emotion. Players feed off emotion from the coaches, other teammates and the fans. I believe if the player's see the coaches showing emotion they will respond too. Once players show emotion fans get charged and into the game. It has to start somewhere and it needs to start from the coaches to help get these guys going. During my year's as both a player and a coach emotion played a big part of it.

CodeMonkey

Sporadic emotion at best so far this season. The best was Davis' fist pumping emotion after we took the lead late in the game against Tampa. Now think back to the first game of the 2012 season. We played Detroit and when Finnegan had the pic-six Fisher was jumping, fist pumping to the point he almost couldn't contain himself. Fast-forward to this season and we see a stoic, un-emotional head coach. I've always believed you are a mirror-image of your coaches, and all I've seen is an almost "business-like" un-emotional team with the occasional show of emotion. Players feed off emotion from the coaches, other teammates and the fans. I believe if the player's see the coaches showing emotion they will respond too. Once players show emotion fans get charged and into the game. It has to start somewhere and it needs to start from the coaches to help get these guys going. During my year's as both a player and a coach emotion played a big part of it.
Tangential to the OP but you make good points and I agree with you. In fact, I've said on more than one occasion that I want to see someone getting pissed when things have gone fubar. This team has suffered from lackadaisical attitude for quite some time. It starts with leadership as you said, the coaching, but as well as player leadership. I agree that an organization tends to emulate the leadership. There are all kinds of ways to be a great leader, yelling and spitting like Bill Cowher isn't the only way, but tapping into and getting the most out of people emotionally is an important aspect of leadership. Lombardi used to say that winning is a habit and so is losing. My biggest fear is the internalization that it’s OK not to be the best. It certainly isn't OK with me in my personal life and I don't expect it to be OK with the team I identify with. It’s true that there is a synergy to enthusiasm…It’s infectious. Torry Holt said as much at the game on Monday. Let's hope this team can pick themselves up, find something inside, and kick the everloving stuffing out of the seabitches on Sunday and give us something to build on. GO RAMS!!!!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I taught Kenpo karate when I was a younger man. This included men, women, and children. The one thing that we tried to teach them above technique and power is how to handle their emotions when trouble came. Emotions not kept under control can get someone injured or killed.

After a loss I wouldn't mind the coaches and players throwing furniture around and screaming and ranting but during the game I would prefer that they keep a cool head and stick to the game plan and their assignments. There are those like Ray Ray that still haven't learned that lesson. This is one reason we have so many stupid, unnecessary penalties.

CodeMonkey

ebcd120e92b7ab05db674eb8390f038c.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Here's an example of an emotional coach and yet his team is still 1-6.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-was-so-frustrated-he-was-punching-the-walls/

Rex Ryan was so frustrated he was punching the walls
Posted by Darin Gantt on October 17, 2014

c993d4e6134bf6a940dcae3edbdeeb16-e1413558898701.jpeg
Getty Images

The frustration of a 1-6 season is beginning to show.

According to Kimberley Martin of Newsday, Jets coach Rex Ryan was so agitated he cursed and punched the wall of the hallway, before taking a moment to compose himself and go in to talk to reporters.

“To say it’s a disappointing loss is a fair assessment,” Ryan said. “We’ve been snake-bitten. I don’t know how many touchdowns we’ve given up on third down this year when we’ve got ‘em where we want them, but we’ve given up a bunch of them. And most of the time it’s our own fault. So that’s tough to handle.”

You can’t argue that the Jets aren’t fighting — for Ryan or otherwise — because they played a clean game and did most of the things you’d want them to. Even quarterback Geno Smith got through the game without an interception, which should have been an omen.

“It’s ridiculous to stand here after a loss and think where our team’s at — it’s not where this team should be,” Ryan said. “There’s way too much fight, way too much heart.”

And as you’d imagine with a coach who’s willing to keep it fun and real like Ryan, the players have his back, even the new ones.

“He’s such a good coach to play for,” said former Seahawks right tackle Breno Giacomini, who joined the Jets this offseason. “I just got here, I’m new and it’s been great to play for Rex and it still is. He’s not going anywhere. We’re going to fight for him. And we’re going to keep getting better.”

Likewise, linebacker Calvin Pace said the players feel an obligation to Ryan because he takes so much heat for them.

They need to start repaying that loyalty, or they won’t have him around to take all those bullets.

CodeMonkey

Your point? Rex Ryan is behaving as I think most normal competetive people would be expected to. He's angry. Rightly. He's fun when it's appropriate and pissed off when that is. If he was emotionless, or worse, "having fun" in the face of his teams current situation, I'd begin to question his character and/or motivations, honestly.

In light of a recent discussion on coaches calling players out in pressers, that last part of that story is what is most striking to me... "the players feel an obligation to Ryan because he takes so much heat for them.
They need to start repaying that loyalty, or they won’t have him around to take all those bullets." That's what I'm talking about right there.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Your point? Rex Ryan is behaving as I think most normal competetive people would be expected to. He's angry. Rightly. He's fun when it's appropriate and pissed off when that is. If he was emotionless, or worse, "having fun" in the face of his teams current situation, I'd begin to question his character and/or motivations, honestly.

In light of a recent discussion on coaches calling players out in pressers, that last part of that story is what is most striking to me... "the players feel an obligation to Ryan because he takes so much heat for them.
They need to start repaying that loyalty, or they won’t have him around to take all those bullets." That's what I'm talking about right there.
Yeah - but not many coaches throw their players under the bus in pressers. It happens occasionally. But when your leader is losing it - be it on the sidelines or in the locker room or in the warehouse - I haven't seen too many employees respond better because of it. Not saying he should be all smiles but grown men often respond poorly to someone losing it.

CodeMonkey

Yeah - but not many coaches throw their players under the bus in pressers. It happens occasionally. But when your leader is losing it - be it on the sidelines or in the locker room or in the warehouse - I haven't seen too many employees respond better because of it. Not saying he should be all smiles but grown men often respond poorly to someone losing it.
Disagree. When my boss gets pissed, people hup to. Especially effective when you are normally a fun/easy going guy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Disagree. When my boss gets pissed, people hup to. Especially effective when you are normally a fun/easy going guy.
How does he display getting pissed? My employees know damn good and well when I'm pissed and it doesn't take yelling or punching walls, etc. Most times, a few words and a look is all it takes for them to know and get with the program.

CodeMonkey

How does he display getting pissed? My employees know damn good and well when I'm pissed and it doesn't take yelling or punching walls, etc. Most times, a few words and a look is all it takes for them to know and get with the program.
Most times, yes. When its a rare occurance it's most effective. It sounds like you have a great management style and are easy to work for.

CodeMonkey

We got a little sidetracked but my main point with the OP was that the anger in this situation is to be expected. The hard part, as a human, is to be able to productively channel that into something positive over the course of just a few days. A week is a short time to have to ride the roller-coaster of emotions and prepare one's self mentally for the next match. And, as the adversity mounts it gets harder and harder. Winning is just more fun.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Your point?

My point is that Rex Ryan is and always has been a coach who openly showed his emotions and it hasn't done his team any good. I think this is a matter of what type of style we prefer in a coach. My wife and son look to me for leadership because I'm the husband and the father. When we are going through bad times, if I become unhinged, irrational, or overly emotional it doesn't instill confidence in them, quite the opposite. I look for a cool head from those who are in leadership over me. I prefer to lead and to be led by calm inner strength not by emotion. Good discussion.

CodeMonkey

I just think the man is entitled to throw a shit fit at this point. I'm ok with it. It's true though that there are all kinds of ways to be a great leader. Very much agree. I did see a sport science show once where they tested "mean coach" verse "nice coach" using free throws. One coach yelled and the other coach coaxed. Mean coach got better results.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I did see a sport science show once where they tested "mean coach" verse "nice coach" using free throws. One coach yelled and the other coach coaxed. Mean coach got better results.

Fear is a good motivator in the short term. I have a neighbor next door who screams at her two little children non-stop. I'm sure her kids do what they're told but when they get to be teenagers I would bet all my ROD money that they will turn on her and become more rebellious than their peers.

People, not all but most, are best motivated by example and by encouragement. That works best for the long-term.

One of the things I've learned over the years from being a mod is to control my emotions, especially during the fall-out after a Rams loss. You can't be a bully or a pushover but have to moderate by fairness. Aren't you glad I'm not a "mean coach?" :)