Edge who might drop to the 3rd round

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Arnold Ebiketie could drop because he's viewed as undersized as an edge rusher. That said he possesses qualities that I like in pass rushers. He's got speed, explosiveness, good lateral agility, and good hand play. AD is considered undersized but his quickness and strong hand play allows him to penetrate quickly. I don't know if he will last to the bottom of the third round, but if he's in the 3rd round like he might be he's the kind of player the Rams should trade up for. He plays with leverage just like AD. He could learn a lot from Donald.

Basically, all I'm saying is that there are players to be had that can get the job done and Snead is excellent at finding them. We shouldn't sleep on Lewis or Hollins while we wait and see.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Arnold Ebiketie could drop because he's viewed as undersized as an edge rusher. That said he possesses qualities that I like in pass rushers. He's got speed, explosiveness, good lateral agility, and good hand play. AD is considered undersized but his quickness and strong hand play allows him to penetrate quickly. I don't know if he will last to the bottom of the third round, but if he's in the 3rd round like he might be he's the kind of player the Rams should trade up for. He plays with leverage just like AD. He could learn a lot from Donald.

Basically, all I'm saying is that there are players to be had that can get the job done and Snead is excellent at finding them. We shouldn't sleep on Lewis or Hollins while we wait and see.
I’d love Ebiketie on the Rams but I don’t see him dropping to round 3

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh great another name that will be butchered by the media.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I'm not gonna lie. I may be available for a hometown discount in the 3rd. SSHHHHHH

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd like to see a round 3 miracle of either an edge or corner added who can make an impact this year. Lot of teams gonna beef up their defensive fronts in this draft, so maybe it ends up being a sticky cover option.

There's more than one way to field a top defense. We did it last year down the stretch with the rush. But if they find a corner and then get some good dev in year two for Rochell they could really have something.

So gonna wait and see what the roster depth looks like after the draft. But yeah I am hopeful the Rams go after a slider who gets overlooked rather than chasing another wideout. Because wideouts are loaded too.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are a lot of edge players in this draft. Ebiketie is considered undersized at 6'2", 250 lbs and it doesn't take much to drop a player. Also, he really is only a situational player right now. It will take a year or two for him to develop and be coached up.

It is not uncommon for players to drop or be over-drafted. He's probably the 10th best edge on a lot of boards. But he's got a lot of traits the Rams covet. He's got first-round talent but it doesn't mean he will go in the first or even second round. Look at guys like Noteboom who was rated between the 8th and 12th best OT in his draft dropped deep into the third round at 89. He was the 10th OT taken. The irony is that in 2018 when Noteboom was drafted the Rams traded the 23rd pick to the Patriots who took Isaiah Wynn OT. Wynn IMO isn't as good as Noteboom and he struggled a bit last year.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
if we don't already have a starting edge and have to look to the 3rd round for a lightning strike, then we really fucked up in FA or trading for a proven player.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
if we don't already have a starting edge and have to look to the 3rd round for a lightning strike, then we really fucked up in FA or trading for a proven player.

I agree, and more than that, Aaron Donald isn't likely to be happy with it playing out this way without a fairly proven veteran who can take some pressure off of him. We aren't going to find another Von Miller, but we can still make a poor situation better.
If the Rams can't necessarily find a quality full-time starter, perhaps a stronger veteran rotational player might be found to work in tandem with Hollins, etc.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Nik Bonitto and Boye Mafe were my guys, but I doubt they fall to us.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There are a lot of edge players in this draft. Ebiketie is considered undersized at 6'2", 250 lbs and it doesn't take much to drop a player. Also, he really is only a situational player right now. It will take a year or two for him to develop and be coached up.

It is not uncommon for players to drop or be over-drafted. He's probably the 10th best edge on a lot of boards. But he's got a lot of traits the Rams covet. He's got first-round talent but it doesn't mean he will go in the first or even second round. Look at guys like Noteboom who was rated between the 8th and 12th best OT in his draft dropped deep into the third round at 89. He was the 10th OT taken. The irony is that in 2018 when Noteboom was drafted the Rams traded the 23rd pick to the Patriots who took Isaiah Wynn OT. Wynn IMO isn't as good as Noteboom and he struggled a bit last year.

Appears like Arnold Ebiketie is a 34 D typical tweener much like Og Okoronkwo but Og was even smaller. Since more than half of the NFL runs 43 D there might not be much of a heated demand early for 34 D tweeners. This is something that I will be watching in this yrs draft to see which of the ER's will drop into our range in the very late 3rd rd area.

I was a little surprised that Og only got 3.5 million a yr if the Rams really were in need of an ER sure would seem to me that they could have got that deal done but Og had a serious dependability issue for 4 seasons If I were his DC I would prefer Og gone too.

Rams look like they will need to extend ER Chris Garrett's grooming & development due to the history of Garrett's 2021 season. CG only saw the field for 1 gm with the defense regular/postseasons.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I doubt it's super far but wonder how far David Ojabu may fall deep into the 2nd now. Maybe a trade up project?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Appears like Arnold Ebiketie is a 34 D typical tweener much like Og Okoronkwo but Og was even smaller. Since more than half of the NFL runs 43 D there might not be much of a heated demand early for 34 D tweeners. This is something that I will be watching in this yrs draft to see which of the ER's will drop into our range in the very late 3rd rd area.

I was a little surprised that Og only got 3.5 million a yr if the Rams really were in need of an ER sure would seem to me that they could have got that deal done but Og had a serious dependability issue for 4 seasons If I were his DC I would prefer Og gone too.

Rams look like they will need to extend ER Chris Garrett's grooming & development due to the history of Garrett's 2021 season. CG only saw the field for 1 gm with the defense regular/postseasons.
Ebiketie looks stronger than Obo. Ebiketie plays the run better too. I’d be happy if the Rams could land him. He would fit the culture well.

I think part of the reason the Rams didn’t want to pay Obo is that Garrett is a speed rusher also and Obo gets them a comp pick. Jourdan said Obo was a very popular guy on the Rams and if they could get him cheap they’d like him back but wouldn’t compete with other teams.

I’ll be interested to see if Garrett comes in bigger and stronger next summer.