Ed Reed to be released by Houston Texans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer

Less than 48 hours after declaring that the Houston Texans were "outplayed and outcoached" in their 27-24 loss to the Arizona Cardinals, safety Ed Reed might be facing the end of his football career.

The Texans are releasing Reed, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday, per a source informed of the pending deal. Reed will go on waivers after he earned $6 million guaranteed for just seven games. John McClain of the Houston Chronicle had the first report..

Reed's criticism of the coaching staff's schemes, assignments and situational football came just days after he was demoted from the starting lineup in favor of Shiloh Keo.

The Texans surely realized a disgruntled veteran of Reed's declining skill level and decorated resume would be a distraction on a team trying to pull itself out of the tailspin of a seven-game losing skid.

The future Hall of Famer is free to latch on to a contender for the stretch run. The question is whether any team in need of a safety has a spot open for a player who has become a competitive disadvantage at the tail-end of his career.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Is there much difference playing safety in a 3/4 from a 4/3? I would bring him in. Probably better than Giordano.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
No thank you! IMO, the last thing a young team needs is an over the hill vet questioning coaches and the teams direction.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He's done in terms of ability from what i'm hearing. No thanks.

V3

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't bring him in to play but this team needs veterans to help teach the young players. It's probably not possible with the cap anyway.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Should have retired at the top along with Ray.
Was just coming to post this, dude was clunking along with Ray in that last Super Bowl, Ray was smart enough to leave on top.

We don't need an over the hill safety that'll be no faster or stronger than Giordano, with the added bonus of being a drama llama.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well; at $6M no question he clears waivers.

So to sign him... it's a new deal. I wouldn't be against it. It's our weakest spot on the defense.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well; at $6M no question he clears waivers.

So to sign him... it's a new deal. I wouldn't be against it. It's our weakest spot on the defense.

He would make it weaker.

The Texans paid for his past performances and that's never a good idea. He got a big contract and got demoted.......that says all I need to hear.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I wouldn't mind bringing him in here to teach our young CB how to be a professional. Let's face it, he's one of the best FS in the past twenty years and likely a hall of famer. If he can teach these guys how to watch film, how to play the position then it's totally a positive.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I still wish we signed Bernard "patriot killer" Pollard this last off season.

yea, I know. Off topic but fuck it.:cheese:

Ed Reed I'd take a pass, I'd hate to see the same thing happen to us that happened to Houston. Even if we signed him and he does amazing I'm like 80% sure hes done after this year so it doesn't help us in the long run.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I wouldn't mind bringing him in here to teach our young CB how to be a professional. Let's face it, he's one of the best FS in the past twenty years and likely a hall of famer. If he can teach these guys how to watch film, how to play the position then it's totally a positive.
Yeah, but do you want Ed Reed teaching your young guys the other ways he acts?

…..

Legend
Ed stole 6M from Houston....and Houston eagerly gave it away.

Better them than us!