Early take on the Cards game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Early morning rumor that Amendola does not have a broken collar bone. I cannot confirm it yet no matter how much I try. It is almost surely not a season ending injury. Just a reminder that the half season IR tag has already been used and there isn't another one during the course of a year.

Lots of random stuff out of the game.

I thought Schotty abandoned the running game mid way in the game and it really hurt after Amendola went out. There was a sequence at the start of the second half where I think they went two three and outs without a run. Then they came out in a two tight end set and rammed the ball down the throats of the Cardinals only to inexplicably try a pass and get sacked. Then Sam threw his worst pass of the game that Peterson picked off. The rest of the way there was much better balance.

I was yelling and tweeting for them to pull Givens right before his long TD.....shows much I know. But he had a brutal sequence leading up to that falling and down and dropping two.

I think I am safe in saying the Rams Oline is making better plays with less talent than the Cardinals are with more. So many things I thought were wrong with how the Cardinals offense went about its business. Running game was getting stuffed but they made no pretense of even trying when the game was still close. They didn't keep anyone into help block for most of their plays. Early on it was obvious that Kolb was counting to two and the ball was out-and it worked to keep them off of him. And then for whatever reason they stopped doing that and he was holding the ball and taking longer drops.

Good for the Rams.

I also think the Cardinals need to realize that there are about 16 or so game films with all those A gap blitzes by now and Kendricks was playing HBack almost all night going into motion and turning into the line right between the center and guard and picking them off. They came free on a couple but they are going to change it up and come off the edge more or every team is going to do that.

Skipping the obvious work by Long and Quinn Hayes played a great game both inside and outside. When Sims comes back they have a really good pair with a lot of versatility.

On defense I watched Laurinaitis and the corners the most. Laurinaitis is still lining up very deep in the base defense and peeling back for a deep middle zone for passing downs. It seems to be a trade off the team is making on base downs to protect the big play versus getting him up closer to the gaps against run plays. He does move up in short yardage. The outside linebackers are up the box on base downs stacked into the wide 9 gaps for the most part. They are also rotating in Hull and Haggan (who was dinged up and left at one point) almost as often as they do linemen.

Its taken me this long to really start getting some kind of handle on how they deploy the backfield. For the most part (although they will change it in the early downs some) it a two or three deep zone and the corners are also staying in zone. In short yardage, some third downs and mainly Finnegan they will switch to man on the corners. Once teams hit the red zone they man up and play bump and run and will walk up a safety into the box and play one on top. Most of the time it looks to me as if the corners are playing the inside shoulder and trying to take the slant away.

Hekker scared the crap out of me by not punting everything into the third row.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have to go back and look at that interception. It looked like Bradford had a free rusher in his face and he was trying to heave it out of the back of the endzone, and off his back foot. Either that, or he was putting it up for Quick against Peterson. Bad throw, sure. But Bradford didn't exactly have a clear passing lane.

Abandoning the run on that same drive was inexplicable to me. Jackson and Richardson were picking up chunks of yards almost without any opposing force. Why not ride that train until it leaves the track? I'm sure there's a good explanation (or not), but I still don't get it. Maybe they saw something on that drive that they thought they could exploit? Looking forward to the coaches tape on this one.

While you were yelling for Givens to get yanked, I was saying (in the chat room) to go to him again. And again. And again. You have to play the odds with that kid and not let him slump himself out of the game. Obviously, I'm glad they did. Once those two get on the same page, I think we'll see more post patterns or deep outs.

I heard the same rumor about Amendola, but it doesn't look good. That was an incredible wince he gave on the sidelines, but hopefully it's not as bad as it looked. Dude is really coming into his own and just can't seem to catch a freaking break. As unfortunate as it is, it will give someone else the opportunity to step up. I'm kinda torn between Pettis and Smith as a fill-in. Where do you stand on that one?

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
I have to go back and look at that interception. It looked like Bradford had a free rusher in his face and he was trying to heave it out of the back of the endzone, and off his back foot. Either that, or he was putting it up for Quick against Peterson. Bad throw, sure. But Bradford didn't exactly have a clear passing lane.

Abandoning the run on that same drive was inexplicable to me. Jackson and Richardson were picking up chunks of yards almost without any opposing force. Why not ride that train until it leaves the track? I'm sure there's a good explanation (or not), but I still don't get it. Maybe they saw something on that drive that they thought they could exploit? Looking forward to the coaches tape on this one.

While you were yelling for Givens to get yanked, I was saying (in the chat room) to go to him again. And again. And again. You have to play the odds with that kid and not let him slump himself out of the game. Obviously, I'm glad they did. Once those two get on the same page, I think we'll see more post patterns or deep outs.

I heard the same rumor about Amendola, but it doesn't look good. That was an incredible wince he gave on the sidelines, but hopefully it's not as bad as it looked. Dude is really coming into his own and just can't seem to catch a freaking break. As unfortunate as it is, it will give someone else the opportunity to step up. I'm kinda torn between Pettis and Smith as a fill-in. Where do you stand on that one?

Of course right after the Givens' TD I sat my ass down and tried to melt into the surroundings.

On that drive where Sam threw the pick the first pass play was a sack off of yet another A gap blitz. If they had stuck with the run and picked off the blitzer there would have been no one back there.

I am assuming that the rumor on Amendola isn't true at this point. But still have hope.

Despite Pettis' size it seems the Rams see him only as a slot receiver. I would like to see him get some time as the starter for Amendola but I think its going to be Givens instead with Smith and Pettis in as the third and fourth.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
@nfldraftupdate: Contrary to PFT report, #Rams GM Les Snead said, via ESPN, WR Danny Amendola's clavicle doesn't appear broken; expects him to return this yr

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jimitroutboy said:
@nfldraftupdate: Contrary to PFT report, #Rams GM Les Snead said, via ESPN, WR Danny Amendola's clavicle doesn't appear broken; expects him to return this yr
What's that mean? Hair-line fracture? Or not even the collar bone at all?

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Danny Amendola to have more tests
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84649 ... onal-tests

[espn]8465093[/espn]

St. Louis Rams wide receiver Danny Amendola is scheduled to undergo additional testing on his injured right shoulder Friday.

Tests to determine if Amendola suffered a broken collarbone in Thursday's game against the Arizona Cardinals were inconclusive, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Amendola injured his shoulder on a diving attempt at a catch in the second quarter of Thursday night's 17-3 win.

A TV camera caught Amendola flinging his helmet into a wall with his left hand while walking in a tunnel to get X-rays. He had the arm in a sling after the game, but the Rams did not make him available to reporters.

Rams general manager Les Snead told ESPN.com's Jeffri Chadiha that the team won't know Amendola's diagnosis until Friday. Snead said Amendola's clavicle doesn't appear to be broken, and he expects him to be able to play again this season.

Amendola had a 44-yard reception on the Rams' first drive, setting up a TD pass from Sam Bradford to Lance Kendricks. Amendola entered the game with 31 receptions, second in the NFL, with two TDs and an 11.3-yard average.

Amendola missed virtually all of last season after dislocating his left elbow in the opener.

PhxRam

I tell you what. When I broke my collarbone I was out of commision for a few months. Range of motion is extremely limited, barely able to lift your arm up but a few inches from the side of your body.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
X said:
jimitroutboy said:

Oh, it's got to be the collarbone. But yeah, if not broken, what? Can you have a bruised collarbone like bruised ribs? Never heard of it but who knows? Either way, we are probably looking at least 6 weeks. Who did we use the "returnable" IR on? Watkins?

PhxRam

Ramhusker said:
X said:
jimitroutboy said:

Oh, it's got to be the collarbone. But yeah, if not broken, what? Can you have a bruised collarbone like bruised ribs? Never heard of it but who knows? Either way, we are probably looking at least 6 weeks. Who did we use the "returnable" IR on? Watkins?

Wells.Which in my opinion was a mistake.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramhusker said:
X said:
jimitroutboy said:

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm no doctor, but aren't there tendons and muscles attached to the clavicle, and maybe one of those could be torn? I should probably stop trying to figure out and wait for the official word, eh?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
Ramhusker said:
X said:
jimitroutboy said:

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm no doctor, but aren't there tendons and muscles attached to the clavicle, and maybe one of those could be torn? I should probably stop trying to figure out and wait for the official word, eh?
Yes there are, and it's possible that there was a partial tear/strain. If it was a complete tear there is no way he'd be able to come back this year, despite how tough he is. Hopefully, we dodged a bullet there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
X said:
Ramhusker said:
X said:
jimitroutboy said:

Yes there are, and it's possible that there was a partial tear/strain. If it was a complete tear there is no way he'd be able to come back this year, despite how tough he is. Hopefully, we dodged a bullet there.
I was hoping you'd weigh in on that one, Doc.

Thanks.