Earl Campbell doesn't believe new RB rule will last.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Brad Biggs
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Earl-Campbell-doesnt-believe-new-running-back-rule-will-last.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ear ... witterfeed</a>

The hit delivered by Earl Campbell is an iconic part of NFL highlight films.

Campbell runs over the left side of the Houston Oilers line where Los Angeles Rams linebacker Isiah Robertson, at one time one of the highest-paid players at his position in the NFL, arrived to meet the ball carrier. Campbell lowered his head and put his helmet between Robertson’s No. 58, bowling him over. Later on the play, of course, Rams defenders ripped Campbell’s jersey off.

Campbell would be penalized by officials for that move today after the new rule outlawing running backs from delivering blows with the crown of their helmet was adopted earlier this week. Then, he would be fined.

CSN Houston caught up with Campbell and asked him about the new rule that has running backs fuming.

“I do not think (the new rule) is going to last,” the Hall of Famer said. “I think people want to see the running back running the football. I thought we were getting back to that, but pretty obviously we're not; we're getting farther away from football.

“I know there's going to be some things changed, but I never thought I agreed with Jack Lambert Twenty years or 10 years ago, he said the quarterback is going to end up wearing a dress. I did not think that I would live long enough to see that happen, but he's right. I think what they ought to do, if they really want to change it all up, give guys like we started football in elementary, flag football, and everybody will know not to bump into nobody.”

We’re not convinced the rule will be going anywhere anytime soon. The NFL wants to make the game safer and it certainly wants to project the image that everything possible is be doing in terms of player safety. Maybe we’ll just have to enjoy old highlights of players like Campbell.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I watched that game live on TV.

Campbell was like a runaway freight train. Unbelievable power runner.

He used to wear those tear-away jerseys ,,, but I bet defenders would tear his even if they weren't tear-away. He was always having to put on a untorn new jersey during games.

Dude had thighs that were the thickness of barrels.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Selassie I said:

He used to wear those tear-away jerseys ,,, but I bet defenders would tear his even if they weren't tear-away. He was always having to put on a untorn new jersey during games.

Live do you have a time machine and your not sharing

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Selassie I said:

38 inches .........each
That dear boy from Tyler as Bum called him.

BUT he's wrong ,I do think they are going to HAVE to rethink how they apply it,but IMO the legal environment is why it was enacted to begin with and that will ONLY get worse.

BTW CO was great "Cabin In the Woods" , we rented it, I declare it a budding cult classic.
I've got friends whose daughter is making CO gift baskets for wedding guests this summer with state things, Ski Maps and such, I suggested they put a doob in each basket :tooth:

duckhunter

Starter
Thordaddy said:
Selassie I said:

38 inches .........each

BUT he's wrong ,I do think they are going to HAVE to rethink how they apply it,but IMO the legal environment is why it was enacted to begin with and that will ONLY get worse.

BTW CO was great "Cabin In the Woods" , we rented it, I declare it a budding cult classic.
I've got friends whose daughter is making CO gift baskets for wedding guests this summer with state things, Ski Maps and such, I suggested they put a doob in each basket :tooth:

Bum was pure pleasure. I wonder what Bum would say if someone referred to him as "You're an icon or iconic." He was so quotable.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
duckhunter said:
Thordaddy said:
Selassie I said:

38 inches .........each

Bum was pure pleasure. I wonder what Bum would say if someone referred to him as "You're an icon or iconic." He was so quotable.
He'd say,"I'm not in a class of my own, but it don't take long ta call the roll".

duckhunter

Starter
Thordaddy said:
duckhunter said:
Thordaddy said:
Selassie I said:

38 inches .........each

He'd say,"I'm not in a class of my own, but it don't take long ta call the roll".
That's good. You got him down to a tee. We need more like him in today's game. Didn't he occasionally talk about his wife.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
duckhunter said:
Thordaddy said:
duckhunter said:
Thordaddy said:
Selassie I said:

38 inches .........each

That's good. You got him down to a tee. We need more like him in today's game. Didn't he occasionally talk about his wife.

Not to me.
My favorite Bum moment was when he was celebrating a pre-season win over the Cowbys, a reporter asked, "why are you so happy,I thought you said it was pre season and din't matter" he said "I lied" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

duckhunter

Starter
Thordaddy said:
duckhunter said:
Thordaddy said:
duckhunter said:
Thordaddy said:
Selassie I said:

38 inches .........each

That's classic Bum. I got the belly shakes on that one.

Not to me.
My favorite Bum moment was when he was celebrating a pre-season win over the Cowbys, a reporter asked, "why are you so happy,I thought you said it was pre season and din't matter" he said "I lied" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's classic Bum. I got the belly shakes on that one. If you notice I typed my original response up in a previous response. Part of my new image to keep everyone confused.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Good stuff Thor. Bum was definitely a character in a 10 gallon hat.

Glad to hear your trip went well. Excellent idea on the baskets too I must say. lol

Not to derail this Campbell thread ... but I see CO is having an emergency legislation today on the horrors of "pot tourism" today. Oh the horror. Those guys sound like your homeowners association.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Rabid Ram said:
Selassie I said:

Live do you have a time machine and your not sharing

Nah. Some of us are just THAT old. :sly:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hey,,, I didn't want to tell him that Stu.

Now my cover is blown. :tooth:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
Hey,,, I didn't want to tell him that Stu.

Now my cover is blown. :tooth:

Oop. My bad. Don't worry man. I won't tell 'em just HOW old you are. :bign:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Selassie I said:
Good stuff Thor. Bum was definitely a character in a 10 gallon hat.

Glad to hear your trip went well. Excellent idea on the baskets too I must say. lol

Not to derail this Campbell thread ... but I see CO is having an emergency legislation today on the horrors of "pot tourism" today. Oh the horror. Those guys sound like your homeowners association.
Didn't he only wear the hat on the road because his momma wouldn't let him wear a hat indoors? They played in a dome.
What a contrast between him and his son Wade who wouldn't say shit if he had a mouthfull.
Yeah CO is gonna fuck up what they did right. My first wifes brother was a med. grower in the beginning of that phase of their pot evolution, he did it for maybe three years THEN they came up with this new requirement that you had to pay over $30K ...yup $30,000 for a background check that IF you failed,you would be DQ'd and you didn't get the 30K back. He said fuck it and let his license go and moved out of the state cuz he KNEW a bust was coming if he stayed.
Gubmint :boing: at it's finest.

Back to the subject,the legal issues the NFL faces are IMO a truck rolling down hill without brakes and the only limit is the human imagination .
Some used to think slavery would never end, I'm not saying the two have anything in common except that IF you can show victimization in any way the lawyers will feed off it till there is nothing but bones.
I think this league needs a re-organization and eventually will reach an omnibus setlement MUCH like the tobacco settlement ,there will be new contracts with explicit exculpatory language ,all these new rules have no end ,because every proposed one that they vote down....indemnifies them if they didn't act ONCE it was KNOWN they COULD.
Our game is in trouble ,our lives are short blips in the grand scheme,I'm old ,I'll have it for all my life, but without some people who aren't just running out the clock stepping up and confronting the whole thing ,these piecemeal distractions are just going to keep coming up and eventually the game won't be worth watching.

WHOA that was a downer man ,sorry for binding you with ancient logic :tooth: