Eagles want to hire Spags as DC but he stays with Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Why? :mrburns:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ire-steve-spagnuolo-as-defensive-coordinator/

Report: Eagles want to hire Steve Spagnuolo as defensive coordinator
Posted by Josh Alper on January 17, 2016

The Eagles were reportedly hot on the trail of Ben McAdoo before the Giants hired him as their new head coach and they spoke to McAdoo’s predecessor Tom Coughlin before ultimately deciding to hire Doug Pederson.

Their interest in all things 2015 Giants may not be over, however. Les Bowen and Marcus Hayes of the Philadelphia Daily News report that the Eagles are interested in hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their defensive coordinator.

Spagnuolo and Pederson were both assistants under Andy Reid with the Eagles, although they didn’t work for the team at the same time. Spagnuolo moved on to his first stint with as the Giants defensive coordinator in 2007 and promptly won a Super Bowl ring that helped propel him to a three-year run as the head coach of the Rams.

His return to the Giants in 2015 didn’t go nearly as well, although the Giants reportedly want to bring him back and can block Spagnuolo from moving to any other team for a coordinator job.
-----------
Why is everybody fighting over this bum?

His defenses are consistently in the bottom 10 in the NFL.
---------
The Eagles have Weapons on the D-Line and the LBs but problem is there a 3-4 Team. Spaggs is a 4-3 coach
--------
Wrong. The Eagles have 4-3 personnel but have pretended to be a 3-4 team the last couple of years. The front 7 is ready to go right now in a 4-3.
-----------
Yeah, I think I quit being an Eagles fan. I refuse to believe that a combo of Pederson and Spagnuolo is going to produce a playoff team.
-------
His defenses in New Orleans (2012) and New York (2015) have been horrible, not just bad but historically bad. Why anyone would want to hire him for this position is crazy.
-------
If I’m the Giants I’m definitely giving him the opportunity to take a job with one of our rivals. I might toss in a late draft pick to go with him. He might be the worst DC in football right now.
-------
Spagnuolo is the Matt Flynn of defensive coordinators.

Dude is still getting hired based on his 07 defense that happened to have 3-4 elite pass rushers.
--------
What else can Philly do to rekindle that mid-2000s nostalgia? I hear Jeff Garcia is still available.
--------
The Eagles can gladly take the Giants linebackers and defensive backfield. I’ll throw in the Defensive line for free!

Why would any team want to emulate the worst defense in the NFL?
---------
Why? Koko the monkey could out coach this guy.
--------
Please let him go!!!!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Chip Kelly hiring him would be the icing on the cake!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would anyone want him? He hasn't had a single good defense since he left the Giants to come to the Rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It seems that the Eagles want to return to all things, Andy Reid. They now see the error in their ways and feel they should not have jettisioned their old flame, especially in his time of need (seriously) with the death of his son and all.

My opinion. Reid is a good coach and he always seems to field good teams. But he really needed a change of scenery. Those Philly fans are brutal. I don't know much about Pederson, other than him being Favre's backup for years. He seems like a laid back guy. But this whole 'recreate the Andy Reid years' thing does not sound like a thorough coaching search that has left no stone unturned. They cannot get Macadoo, so they need to resimulate the Ried years to the extent that they want Spagnoulo too? ehhh.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's under contract with the Giants. Unless they release him he can't take a lateral move.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good news for Eagles fans. Notice this comment at the end of the article..."Frank Cignetti is a possibility at quarterbacks coach."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-to-stay-with-giants-despite-eagles-interest/

Report: Steve Spagnuolo to stay with Giants despite Eagles interest
Posted by Josh Alper on January 18, 2016

350x-318-e1349444178771.jpg
AP

A report over the weekend had the Eagles targeting Steve Spagnuolo as the defensive coordinator on Doug Pederson’s staff, but hiring him was far from a slam dunk because Spagnuolo still has a contract to do that job for the Giants.

Word from Jersey was that the Giants wanted to keep Spagnuolo, who would need permission from the Giants to pursue the Philly opening, and it appears they’ll be doing that. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Spagnuolo is expected to remain in place for Ben McAdoo’s first season as head coach.

While McAdoo and Spagnuolo will return and Mike Sullivan is expected to move from offensive coordinator to quarterbacks coach, it looks like there will be a lot of turnover elsewhere on the staff. According to various reports, defensive line coach Robert Nunn, offensive line coach Pat Flaherty and strength and conditioning coach Jerry Palmeiri will be leaving their jobs and wide receiver coach Sean Ryan, linebackers coach Jim Herrmann and special teams assistant Larry Izzo have already left for other teams.

Alex Marvez of FOX Sports reports that former Rams offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti is a possibility at quarterbacks coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why would anyone want him? He hasn't had a single good defense since he left the Giants to come to the Rams.

Has a history with both teams and he's a good soldier and sometimes that is all that is needed in the NFL to land a good gig....See Brain Schottenheimer.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
How does Spags attract interest? I just don't get it. At least he is staying put in the only place he has ever succeeded in.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
How so?
None of these guys are related

Good question- it's becoming clear that some confuse nepotism with cronyism.

Edit - myself included. Apparently, nepotism includes cronyism. Learn something everyday. (Gonna check and see if the meaning has changed over time).

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
I don't understand the Eagles fascination with collecting coaches from the team to have the worst record in NFL history on the resume while together.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The years he coached us were the worst for me. I'm just so thankful that he has nothing to do with our Rams.