Eagles player criticizes practice regimen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Our upcoming opponent after the bye. Hope they're all extra tired.
----------------------------------------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/22/cary-williams-criticizes-eagles-practice-regimen/

Cary Williams criticizes Eagles’ practice regimen
Posted by Mike Wilkening on September 22, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpty0zwy5ogjlnmyxyzc3zdi2mzq5ytbjnjrmyzvhzjhh-e1406816905152.jpeg
AP

In comments remarkable for their timing (after a win moving Philadelphia to 3-0), their audience (the media) and their directness, Eagles cornerback Cary Williamswas reportedly critical of the team’s practice regimen following the club’s 37-34 victory vs. Washington on Sunday.

According to Andy Schwartz of CSNPhilly.com, Williams said the club’s practices have left him worn down — and Williams indicated other players felt similarly.

“I’m not the only guy that feels burnt out. I’m just a guy that’s man enough to stand up for players and just say that we’re burnt out,” Williams said Sunday, per CSNPhilly.com. “My legs hurt. My legs were done in the fourth quarter. My legs were done in the third quarter. My legs were done before the game started.”

According to CSNPhilly.com, Williams suggested “you can’t continue to run your team into the ground and expect great results.” He also noted the Eagles didn’t get a rest day after the win at Indianapolis on Monday night. Per CSNPhilly.com, the Eagles ran last Tuesday.

Williams’ remarks are an unexpected controversy for coach Chip Kelly as Philadelphia turns its attention to next Sunday’s game at 1-2 San Francisco. However, Williams’ comments come with the Eagles atop the NFC East and having outscored opponents 74-24 in the second half.

Still, it’s possible Williams has made some valid points. Of course, it’s also possible his remarks were made in the heat of the moment after a long, demanding game. But Williams made the comments in the public forum in a robust media market, so there’s no getting away from them, and Kelly will surely be asked about them this week.

Also, with Williams indicating other Eagles have similar feelings about the practices, it’s a given reporters will be asking his teammates what they think of the workouts. And Williams, surely, will be asked if he stands by his remarks. Here is a story that will spawn follow-up stories, for there are other questions to be asked now that wouldn’t have been pondered otherwise.

V3

Hall of Fame
Both sides probably need to adapt in this situation. The players need to get used to practicing more for this type of offense and Kelly probably needs to learn when and how to adequately prepare while preserving his players.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think Williams should keep this up. For the sake of the players.

Alan

Legend
It's funny how the players cold handle TCs and practices in days of yore that were at least twice as long and twice as hard as they are now. Imagine what he'd be saying had he played for Vermeil before he was convinced to tone it down.

Zero sympathy.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Talking to the coach through the press is just dumb, there isn't a coach in the league who is saying this AM ,boy I wish my players would do that:ROFLMAO:

V3

Hall of Fame
It's funny how the players cold handle TCs and practices in days of yore that were at least twice as long and twice as hard as they are now. Imagine what he'd be saying had he played for Vermeil before he was convinced to tone it down.

Zero sympathy.
Do we know if Kelly's practices are equal to or easier than Vermeil's practices, though? I honestly don't know.

Alan

Legend
V3 with doubts:
Do we know if Kelly's practices are equal to or easier than Vermeil's practices, though? I honestly don't know.
The pace of the practices might be tougher but we know for sure that the length, number of practices per day and the total number of practices has been greatly reduced by the new CBA. I gwould guess that if you're going to run an up tempo offense in the games you'd need to practice that way too.

On a side note, I wonder how any actualing training gets done if you don't stop after each (or at least many) play to correct things.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
If you are going to run the sort of high tempo game plan that Kelly does, endurance is key to success. And so, reps and reps and reps... The guy comes off as soft..."my wegs huwt".

Alan

Legend
ZigZagRam with the bottom line:
Well, seeing as they're 3-0 it seems like it's working.
Thus my "zero sympathy" comment. He probably makes millions and he's whining about practices being too hard? :palm:

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
You know all the guys complaining are defensive players. As much as their schemes tire opposing D, their D gets the treatment too!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fucking crybaby.

Apparently we need to target this guy early and often. His widdle legs hurt.
Baaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
You know all the guys complaining are defensive players. As much as their schemes tire opposing D, their D gets the treatment too!
You make a good point, that'll more than likely be ignored in lieu of haha how could they be tired, they're not people. However there's a point in this, the D is being used to keep the up tempo offense running smooth, but that also means that they're also being relied on primarily while the O is scoring in rapid succession. Just look at the time of possession, they're skewed heavily towards the other teams they play. That means they're being ran ragged in practice, ran ragged in the game and then expected to do this with almost zero rest. I can understand why the guy's complaining, Kelly's going to run his defense into the ground by week 6 if that's the case.

WCWarEagle

UDFA
Name
Joshua
You make a good point, that'll more than likely be ignored in lieu of haha how could they be tired, they're not people. However there's a point in this, the D is being used to keep the up tempo offense running smooth, but that also means that they're also being relied on primarily while the O is scoring in rapid succession. Just look at the time of possession, they're skewed heavily towards the other teams they play. That means they're being ran ragged in practice, ran ragged in the game and then expected to do this with almost zero rest. I can understand why the guy's complaining, Kelly's going to run his defense into the ground by week 6 if that's the case.
Hopefully by week 5.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you are going to run the sort of high tempo game plan that Kelly does, endurance is key to success. And so, reps and reps and reps... The guy comes off as soft..."my wegs huwt".

He does play in the NFL on defense...don't think most of us can call him soft.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
It could be a sign that Chip Kelley might be one of those guys that has a lot of initial success, but will eventually wear out his welcome. Easy to bust people's butts when they leave in 3-4 years.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As "the league" noted?

What the hell is the league noting anything for?

We'll see if Cary Williams is right... If the team burns out mid-season,we'll know.

Athos

Legend
Kelly's Oregon teams seemed to have no problem running his style of play, and running it well.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Rams said same thing in 1998 . . . .I don't know if it was the running or hitting . . . the 1999 America's Game with Farr and so on about hte 1999 championship puts Rams, a lot of them, in same light. And in 1997 and 1998 . . .the results were not there . . . in 1999 after it was toned-down, they were . .. oh well, method to Vermiel's and Kelly's madness.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Both sides probably need to adapt in this situation. The players need to get used to practicing more for this type of offense and Kelly probably needs to learn when and how to adequately prepare while preserving his players.
Coach Vermeil learn the hard way on this subject!:D