Eagles owner seems determined to find a "franchise quarterback"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Gee, I thought they already had one in Sam Bradford and a solid backup in Chase Daniel.
**************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-determined-to-find-a-franchise-quarterback/

Lurie seems determined to find a franchise quarterback
Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2016

350x-11.jpg
Reuters

More than two years ago, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie made clear his belief that the team’s No. 1 priority was finding a franchise quarterback. Not long after that, it appeared they’d found one in Nick Foles, who threw for seven touchdown passes and no interceptions in a game at Oakland.

Since then, Foles was abruptly dumped onto the Rams for Sam Bradford, who currently has a two-year deal to be a well-paid Band-Aid. Chase Daniel is getting high-end backup money on a three-year contract, with an incentive package that could pay him a lot more if he becomes the starter.

With more than $24 million tied up this year in the top two spots on the depth chart, the Eagles now seem intent on finding a rookie who will supplant both of them. So intent that Lurie is personally attending private workouts and get-togethers with multiple 2016 draft prospects at the position.

Unless it’s a smokescreen even more elaborate than the shenanigans of Viktor and Giselle St. Clair, the Eagles have decided to go scorched earth in an effort to get the best quarterback they’ve had since Donovan McNabb with the eighth overall selection in the draft.

So at a time when few teams have two quarterbacks about whom they feel confident, the Eagles could have, at least for a year, three of them.

Psycho_X

Legend
Every person in the world made clear their belief that their team’s No. 1 priority was finding a franchise quarterback.

There changed that sentence.... I mean seriously, every single front office man and owner in the world is obsessed with finding a franchise QB. Well, sorry forgot about the Rams. Almost every single front office man and owner.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
What I find strange is, as much as franchise quarterbacks are so valuable, I can only count 6 or 7 teams with unsettled quarterback situations. And I'm not so sure I'd count Philly as one. Everyone else has their guy going into the season. They have a fall back plan there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am impressed by Philly's approach this season. They signed Bradford as a guy to win with now. Backed him up with a quality signing at a hefty $12 million guaranteed. And now they are smart enough to realize they still need a high end talent for the future. Oh and positioned at 8 overall and threatening to fill that long term role puts them in nice real estate to do just that.

Sure hope the Rams swoop in and screw it up for them by using their pick, and take the QB destined to play a Joe Montana role with the 49ers thus screwing them too. Would be one of the sweetest Rams moves of all time IMO.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I am impressed by Philly's approach this season. They signed Bradford as a guy to win with now. Backed him up with a quality signing at a hefty $12 million guaranteed. And now they are smart enough to realize they still need a high end talent for the future. Oh and positioned at 8 overall and threatening to fill that long term role puts them in nice real estate to do just that.

Sure hope the Rams swoop in and screw it up for them by using their pick, and take the QB destined to play a Joe Montana role with the 49ers thus screwing them too. Would be one of the sweetest Rams moves of all time IMO.

I'm not buying the whole triple insurance ploy. They give Bradford short term Franchise QB money then give Chase Daniel longterm bridge QB money just to trade up investing more assets at QB to get a guy who isn't even active on game days. Last time I checked the eagles have other holes outside of QB. I think it makes more sense to get a guy who has high end talent, but needs more refinement to be ready to play like Cardale Jones, Hackenberg, or Driskell where they are still getting a high end talent but not at the expense of top the pick they could use for an impact starter. Lets not forget we own their 2nd round pick, so if they take a QB at 8 or especially if they use assets to move up they will come out of the draft with zero high impact rookies the first 2 days.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cardale Jones, Hackenberg, or Driskell

Your point is valid, although gotta say IMO those three QBs you list are garbage. Jones couldn't keep his job on his collegiate team, is raw, inaccurate, and makes bad decisions. Hackenberg same deal, shaky in the pocket, inaccurate, bad decisions. Driskel is the best prospect of the three but is yet another guy who looks and measures the part but is missing what matters. Out of those three maybe one of them can be a backup in this league.

Difference between them and Goff/Wentz is enormous in my estimation and they still have the ability to move from 8 to the 4-6 range without killing their draft. Rams have to consider them a rival in any move up plan.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I find strange is, as much as franchise quarterbacks are so valuable, I can only count 6 or 7 teams with unsettled quarterback situations. And I'm not so sure I'd count Philly as one. Everyone else has their guy going into the season. They have a fall back plan there.

What they have though is a new head coach who is a QB guy that knows he doesn't have a face of the franchise signal caller. He also knows the best time for a new regime to draft a QB is at the start, and they're sitting at 8. Only way their two median options matter is as placeholders to help them win games. I have zero doubt they take Goff or Wentz if they slide to 8. Also would not rule out a small move up for them.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Your point is valid, although gotta say IMO those three QBs you list are garbage. Jones couldn't keep his job on his collegiate team, is raw, inaccurate, and makes bad decisions. Hackenberg same deal, shaky in the pocket, inaccurate, bad decisions. Driskel is the best prospect of the three but is yet another guy who looks and measures the part but is missing what matters. Out of those three maybe one of them can be a backup in this league.

Difference between them and Goff/Wentz is enormous in my estimation and they still have the ability to move from 8 to the 4-6 range without killing their draft. Rams have to consider them a rival in any move up plan.

If they move up they kill their draft because they don't have a second and may have to give up 1 or both of their third rounders. At best they come out the draft with a third string QB and a 3rd rounder.

Yes all those guys are raw, but having Bradford and Daniels ahead of them gives them at least 2 years develop and for all we know Wentz or Goff could be teetering on becoming a bust anyway.

3rd QBs get very few reps especially once the season starts. They can learn the terminology the play book and things like that, but their meaningful reps even in practice are severely limited. IMO it doesn't make a ton of sense to use one of your few high picks on a guy who gets a few reps in practice for at least 2 years. Then that guy goes into year 4 with limited game experience and you are forced to give him top 10 QB because of his 5th year option, but he has limited experience so you aren't sure he is worth Franchise QB money. There major short and longterm implications of drafting a QB at to be 3rd stringer for 2 years

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they move up they kill their draft because they don't have a second and may have to give up 1 or both of their third rounders. At best they come out the draft with a third string QB and a 3rd rounder.

It's not that black and white. If they elect to move up for a QB they can use future picks, that's pretty common when you move for your QB of the future.

You can't exclude these guys as a threat to take the position or move up for the position in round 1. I wish we could, believe me.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Gee, I thought they already had one in Sam Bradford and a solid backup in Chase Daniel.
**************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/31/lurie-seems-determined-to-find-a-franchise-quarterback/

Lurie seems determined to find a franchise quarterback
Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2016

350x-11.jpg
Reuters

More than two years ago, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie made clear his belief that the team’s No. 1 priority was finding a franchise quarterback. Not long after that, it appeared they’d found one in Nick Foles, who threw for seven touchdown passes and no interceptions in a game at Oakland.

Since then, Foles was abruptly dumped onto the Rams for Sam Bradford, who currently has a two-year deal to be a well-paid Band-Aid. Chase Daniel is getting high-end backup money on a three-year contract, with an incentive package that could pay him a lot more if he becomes the starter.

With more than $24 million tied up this year in the top two spots on the depth chart, the Eagles now seem intent on finding a rookie who will supplant both of them. So intent that Lurie is personally attending private workouts and get-togethers with multiple 2016 draft prospects at the position.

Unless it’s a smokescreen even more elaborate than the shenanigans of Viktor and Giselle St. Clair, the Eagles have decided to go scorched earth in an effort to get the best quarterback they’ve had since Donovan McNabb with the eighth overall selection in the draft.

So at a time when few teams have two quarterbacks about whom they feel confident, the Eagles could have, at least for a year, three of them.
With Bradford only inked for two years, Could he be going after Lynch!?! That could work for him, Draft at #8 in the 1st round! But he does have other fish to Fry! RB has to be High on his list too!!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
They should be looking for one and so should every other team that can get in position to get one.
It's where building a winning team starts and ends at.
All they have now is average.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

Just love highlighted sentence above