Eagles gamble Bradford has upside/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Eagles gamble Bradford has upside
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c1fcf070-fd0f-54db-a82a-4255814a5ed0.html

PHOENIX • Philadelphia owner Jeff Lurie said the Eagles were gambling on upside when they traded Nick Foles and a pair of draft picks to the Rams for Sam Bradford and, ”You hate to give up a No. 2 (second-round) pick in a future draft — that’s a tough one to swallow,” Lurie told reporters Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings. “But if you can gain a franchise quarterback out of it that puts you in a position for other things — that’s what you do.”

Besides the QB swap, the Rams get a fourth-round pick this year and a second-round pick in 2016. The Eagles get a fifth-rounder from the Rams this year. If Bradford misses the entire 2015 season or plays fewer than 50 percent of the snaps, Philadelphia gets a conditional pick in 2016 from St. Louis.

In doing homework on the potential trade, Lurie said Eagles coach Chip Kelly watched Bradford “hundreds of times. He talked to every coach he ever had. This is well-researched; it wouldn’t satisfy me if it wasn’t.”

Going back to the 2010 draft when coach Andy Reid’s staff was in place in Philly, Lurie said, “We thought (Bradford) was the best young quarterback we had seen in a long, long time. Probably since Peyton Manning coming out of college.

“Rookie of the year his first year. Pat Shurmur had him as an offensive coordinator. We confirmed everything we had heard about him in the draft process. Extraordinary competitor. Incredibly accurate. And needs to stay healthy.”

Shurmur is now Philadelphia’s OC.

WARNER WEIGHS TRADE

Making an appearance a little later in the day at the owners meetings, former Rams quarterback Kurt Warner called the Foles-Bradford trade “interesting to me from a couple of different standpoints.”

Warner continued: “St. Louis has been behind Sam from Day 1, and Coach (Jeff) Fisher taking over we just heard: ‘He’s our guy. He’s our guy. He’s our guy.’ You kind of thought St. Louis would stay behind Sam.”

That changed on the first day of free agency two weeks ago when the trade went down.

“You also understand the health issues,” Warner said. “It’s tough to play without having that position on the field for 16 games or close to it. And him not being able to do that, I think has been tough. So you see it from that perspective.”

The fact that the Eagles re-signed quarterback Mark Sanchez, who played relatively well for them last season, at least gives Philly a backup plan should Bradford stumble or get injured, Warner said.

And from the Philly perspective?

“Here’s a guy two years ago that went 27-2 — 27 touchdowns and two interceptions,” Warner said, speaking of Foles. “That doesn’t happen very often. And I know it doesn’t happen twice very often. (But) last year was a little bit of a struggle.”

The uncertainty with Foles, as Warner sees it, is which Foles are the Rams getting. The outstanding performer of 2013, or the guy that scuffled last season and then got hurt.

“Who is he? What are we gonna get for the long term?” Warner said. “But we’ve seen that he can be really, really good and I think that’s the thing that excites you. . . You just don’t have a very big sample size on what he’s going to be.”

Warner agreed with Lurie’s notion that acquiring Bradford was an upside gamble.

“I think a lot of people have seen that,” Warner said. “Physically, you know that he’s got all the ability to be a top-notch quarterback. He’s a young kid that has the right attitude. A guy that can lead your franchise. I think all that stuff is in play.”

Warner said one of his concerns about Foles “is just the speed by which he plays. I’ve always believed that you have to be able to see and react very quickly.

“I felt in Philly’s system, he thrived because things transpired a little bit slower. A lot of the stuff was down the field where he could take his time to get through reads. And he was very good in that kind of system. But I also wonder how does that translate to another system; a system that maybe wants you to get it out on time.”

fearsomefour

Legend
Rams=We can't afford to keep paying a guy who isn't on the field, or worse, if he has a big year this year we have to resign him to huge money and he gets hurt again
Eagles=Foles is limited and our coach wants a more complete talent at QB.
Thats it for both teams. Save a lot of words.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I think it is more the case the Eagles are gambling that Bradford can stay healthy!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eagles had 2010 Sam Bradford on par with Peyton

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...r-with-manning?campaign=Twitter_atn_wesseling

Speaking at the NFL Annual Meeting on Wednesday, coach Chip Kelly said he hopes newly acquired Sam Bradford will emerge as a legitimate franchise quarterback with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Kelly didn't have to sell Bradford's franchise-altering potential to owner Jeffrey Lurie in advance of the March 10 trade in which 2014 starter Nick Foles was sent to the Rams.

NFL Now delivers a non-stop video stream highlighting the next generation of NFL talent in preparation for the 2015 NFL Draft. Start using it now!

In the lead-up to the 2010 NFL Draft, Lurie disclosed Tuesday, the Eagles evaluated Bradford as "the best young quarterback we'd seen ... probably since Peyton Manning coming out of college."

It was not the first time this week that an Eagles operative drew comparisons between Bradford and the cream of the NFL's quarterback crop.

"When you look at all the great quarterbacks," Kelly told NFL Media's Steve Wyche, "Peyton Manning has missed a year, Tom Brady has missed a year, Drew Brees has missed a year. Again, we felt like to get a player of Sam's caliber, it wouldn't have happened unless he was injured."

Kelly watched Bradford's film "hundreds" of times while researching the trade, Lurie added. Offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, perhaps the strongest advocate for the trade, was the play-caller during Bradford's Offensive Rookie of the Year campaign back in 2010.

Multiple teams have placed Bradford's value as greater than a first-round draft pick.

The Eagles had reportedly decided by last Halloween that Foles was not the answer under center. As we opined after the trade went down, Kelly will come out on the winning side if Bradford succeeds in reaching his franchise-quarterback potential.

If not, the Eagles are back to square one, joining a dozen other teams in the obsessive hunt for that most elusive NFL asset.

"Until you find your quarterback," Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff once said, "the search for him consumes you."

Kelly can identify with that stark sentiment.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast recaps the inaugural Veteran Combine and discusses which star players were helped (and hurt) by free agency. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"When you look at all the great quarterbacks," Kelly told NFL Media's Steve Wyche, "Peyton Manning has missed a year, Tom Brady has missed a year, Drew Brees has missed a year. Again, we felt like to get a player of Sam's caliber, it wouldn't have happened unless he was injured."

When did Drew Brees miss a year?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When did Drew Brees miss a year?
Forget it. He's rolling.

yy4gw9C.jpg