Eagles CB on Patriots: "They are cheaters"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Cary Williams on Patriots: 'They are cheaters'
By Geoff Mosher

Later this month, the Eagles will head to Foxboro for a series of joint practices against the Patriots leading up to their preseason game. Last year, the Patriots came to Philly for the same purpose.

Eagles cornerback Cary Williams made it clear Friday that he’s no fan of practicing against other teams, especially the Patriots, the culprits of the “Spygate” scandal.

“They are cheaters,” Williams said. “They are.”

In 2007, the Pats were fined $250,000 by the NFL and docked a 2008 first-round pick for illegally videotaping opponents’ defensive signals. Head coach Bill Belichick, who’s still the head coach, was fined an additional $500,000.

Williams, whose disdain for the Patriots goes back to his days with the arch-rival Ravens and their heated playoff showdown, said there’s no benefit to practicing against other teams, especially a team with New England’s “history.”

“You don’t wanna give any team -- I don’t care whether it’s the Patriots or it’s the the dang Bengals, whoever it is -- you don’t want to give them an opportunity to look at your stuff,” he said. “That’s just me, from a personal standpoint. I don’t want to show none of my cards.

“So to me it’s not benefiting us because they’ve already proven who they are (from Spygate), that’s their history. And I don’t like them, not only because of that, but because I just don’t like them. I played them three of four times in a row [in the playoffs].”

Williams said he also hates the Steelers, one of Baltimore’s division rivals, and is developing a distaste for other NFC East teams, but he reserved the “cheaters” label exclusively for the Patriots and noted their Super Bowl drought since Spygate penalties were levied.

“I’m trying not to go into details about it or disrespect that organization because I give that organization nothing but ... you still got to go out there and play the game,” he said. “All the credit. I give them all the credit in the world. But one fact still remains, they haven’t won a Super Bowl since they got caught.”

He then added, “You got caught. I know you’re gonna be looking at the film when we go out there. That’s just that. I don’t want to show them my card. That’s just me, not them. Not them. Every team is gonna look at it anyway. We’re gonna look at what they do too.”

Williams made his displeasure known last year, when he was booted from a joint practice after scuffling with a New England wideout. Eagles coach Chip Kelly and Belichick, coaching pals, made a prior agreement that any player caught tussling would be kicked out of practice.

The Ravens and Patriots met three times in the playoffs when Williams played for Baltimore, with the Ravens winning twice. They squared off in the AFC Championship Game twice, with New England winning 23-20 in 2011 and Baltimore prevailing 28-13 the following season.

Joint practices have become trendy around the league. The Patriots are also having combined sessions with the Redskins this summer. Last year and in 2012, the Pats practiced against the Buccaneers leading up to a preseason game.

The Eagles never had joint practices in Andy Reid’s 14 seasons. Before last year, the hadn’t practiced against another team in the preseason since working out with the Bills in 1998.

Williams said the game intensity is lost when teams practice against each other leading up.

“I like the mystery, you know what I mean?” he said. “I used to like the mystery, where you just come into camp, you do your camp, you go against those other guys and you get that itch to go hit some other guys. When you’re practicing against other guys, other teams early on, you don’t get that itch. That itch is gone.

“And then there’s certain things in practice [last year] that I didn’t agree with that went down, so I know it’s going to be the same thing this year. To me, I didn’t see how we benefited from that practice at all. And maybe it’s because I do not like the Patriots.”

Training camp is a week old, and this marks the second time Williams has sounded off about a certain topic. First, he said he likes to see fights in camp.

It's a bit of surprise considering that in the spring he said wouldn't be as outspoken given the attention it created last year.

"I don't think I'm going to change much, but I think I'll be [wiser] with what I have to say," Williams said in April. "I'll be a little bit [smarter] before I react and talk a lot more."

Never change, Cary.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Preaching to the choir Brotha Williams... but you certainly preach nothing but the truth.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yep......tragically we know all too well....the history of the CHEATriots.

Alan

Legend
Well I for one am shocked!
200_s.gif

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Patriots fans are in such denial about Spygate its rather sickening...

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
It's funny ho all these others are barely realizing what Us Rams and Jets fans have known all along!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Come on, Williams, you candy-ass. If you're going to go all in, then go all in. Don't half-ass it. Say that the Cheatriots are cheaters, and don't give this bullshit:

Cary Williams said:
I’m trying not to go into details about it or disrespect that organization because I give that organization nothing but ... you still got to go out there and play the game,” he said. “All the credit. I give them all the credit in the world. But one fact still remains, they haven’t won a Super Bowl since they got caught.

Go on and say, "They don't get any respect or credit from me. They don't deserve any."

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
They're low life scum bags. At a minimum, Bekicheat should never be allowed into the HOF, Brady either.

You know, I'm not even annoyed about the Patriots, they did what they thought was right, sure it was wrong but they got a competitive edge.

What annoys me is Goodell, no wonder they cheated when you've got him as the head guy. The Rams suffered more as a result of bountygate than the Patriots as a result of spygate there's no way that that can be right.

ABIGRAMFAN

UDFA
Name
ABIGRAMFAN
I am still bitter. Destroyed tapes.. Taped our walk through. I'd take a half a million hit and give away a first round pick for a Lombardi trophy. Ughhhhh.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am still bitter. Destroyed tapes.. Taped our walk through. I'd take a half a million hit and give away a first round pick for a Lombardi trophy. Ughhhhh.

It is BS. Total BS.

No way a game that close wasn't tilted even ever so slightly to their advantage by video taping our practice. Clear cheating.

Why destroy the tapes? Because the NFL knew they had an * champion.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
always said those seasons and SBs should at least have an asterisk next to it if not remove the records all together. If thats how it works in baseball with cheating and steroids why not football. FYI plenty of Rams players from the 2003 SB have mentioned it seemed like those cheats knew exactly what the Rams were going to do.