E.J. Gaines impressive early in preseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10405/e-j-gaines-impressive-early-in-preseason

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For those that don't closely follow Missouri football, cornerback E.J. Gaines will always be the "other" St. Louis Rams 2014 draft pick from the home state school.

Even though Gaines was drafted a round before defensive end Michael Sam, he didn't make the two-hour trip east to St. Louis with nearly the fanfare of the NFL's first openly gay draft pick.

But, a little more than two weeks into his first NFL preseason and training camp, Gaines is working quickly to make a name for himself. And his coaches have taken notice.

“He’s just been making plays," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He’s very instinctive, a very conscientious, smart player. He’s picked the defense up really well and made plays. He’s a football player. He tackles, he covers, he’s got ball skills, so we’ll continue to get him some reps.”

Gaines certainly wasn't lacking for reps in Friday night's preseason opener against the Saints. For most of camp, Gaines has quietly been creeping his way up the depth chart.

Some of Gaines' ascent has been based on injuries as top corners such as Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson,Brandon McGee and Lamarcus Joyner have all missed time at various times.

In the preseason opener, the Rams were without the services of Jenkins, Johnson and McGee, which created a starting nod for Gaines. Because the Rams were relatively thin at the position, it also meant plenty of snaps. Pro Football Focus had Gaines down for a team-high 52 plays in the game.

Gaines made the most of those opportunities, flashing the physical, instinctive approach that made him successful at Missouri. He finished with a team-high six tackles and, aside from his role in allowing Brandin Cooks' 25-yard catch and run for a touchdown, was mostly solid in coverage.

“It was crazy, kind of surreal, like a dream come true," Gaines said. "I’ve been thinking about this moment since I was really young. So coming in and being able to start my first preseason game, it felt good.”

With three preseason games to go and some of those banged up corners scheduled to return, it stands to reason that Gaines' workload will decrease a bit over the coming weeks. As a sixth-round draft pick, Gaines is guaranteed nothing in terms of a roster spot.

Jenkins, Johnson and Joyner are almost certainly entrenched in three of the spots reserved for corners and McGee looks to be in good shape for another. The Rams have often kept just five corners under Fisher's guidance but this year could be different.

Early returns indicate the Rams have more talent at corner than safety and so the usual breakdown of five at each spot could be altered. Having Joyner capable of playing both spots also gives the Rams more flexibility in terms of the breakdown in the secondary.

But even if the Rams only keep five, Gaines is playing like he's set on locking down that spot. After being drafted later than expected and living in the shadow of his history-making teammate, Gaines should have no problems finding the motivation to finish the job.

"I always play with a chip on my shoulder," Gaines said. "I think that’s what really makes me a good player -- expecting to be kind of underrated. The draft is behind me though, like I said, so I’m just trying to concentrate on making this team, try to make some plays, and hopefully prove that I can play at this level.”

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought Gaines tackled well. would have liked to see him in tighter coverage..the off coverage thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My only serious concern, was the ease in which Cooks caught that pass on him while he was covering the slot. Does he ever play bump & run? Is it a speed thing? A lot of guys in here don't mind slow 40 times. Almost impossible to play corner in todays NFL without decent speed(<4.59)....I know some do it....I just wanna know who?

SierraRam

Recreational User
Sounds like we got ourselves a baller with a "chip" on his shoulder! After adding Joyner, Alexander and E.J., I predict in a year we'll be talking about our defensive backfield as a strength instead of a liablity... maybe sooner (y)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sounds like we got ourselves a baller with a "chip" on his shoulder! After adding Joyner, Alexander and E.J., I predict in a year we'll be talking about our defensive backfield as a strength instead of a liablity... maybe sooner (y)
despite all the 7x7 & 11x11 drama, DB's looked pretty good. couple missed tackles, yeah, but coverage, decent to solid. I like Mo...TJ McD, and Jenkins, Joyner, Johnson...looks like a solid backfield. Hell, even McLeod made me smile...Gaines-Roberson-McGee should be a great battle.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was highly surprised with our 6th round rookie corner.....Friday night! he could be the best 6th round pick since FB/H-back Mike Guman in 1980, 34 yrs ago??

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I thought Gaines tackled well. would have liked to see him in tighter coverage..the off coverage thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My only serious concern, was the ease in which Cooks caught that pass on him while he was covering the slot. Does he ever play bump & run? Is it a speed thing? A lot of guys in here don't mind slow 40 times. Almost impossible to play corner in todays NFL without decent speed(<4.59)....I know some do it....I just wanna know who?

I hear your concern, but it's a small same that play. Coming out he was a guy who did a lot of things well but maybe not great. So I would not call him a bump and run or speed guy. He does everything well but nothing great if that makes sense. He is not a lock down defender and better suited in a zone coverage. He is going to be a valuable sub package player (nickel/dime). I could actually see him moving to safety at some point

Rambition

Rookie
having followed his work at MU, i'm not surprised that he's more than risen to the occasion. i figured he would make the team, and he's only reinforced that notion. keep it up, young man.

jjab360

Legend
Just to name a few, Brandon Flowers, Joe Haden, and Alterraun Verner all ran around the same or slower 40 time as Gaines (4.51), and they're all pro bowlers. They're also all around the same height as he is, Haden being about an inch taller and Flowers a few inches shorter.

So no, I'm not worried about anything regarding the kid's measurables.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just to name a few, Brandon Flowers, Joe Haden, and Alterraun Verner all ran around the same or slower 40 time as Gaines (4.51), and they're all pro bowlers. They're also all around the same height as he is, Haden being about an inch taller and Flowers a few inches shorter.

So no, I'm not worried about anything regarding the kid's measurables.

4.51 is pretty decent. No problems from me either...