E-cigarette users getting burned by exploding batteries

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bnw

Pro Bowler
http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ping-explosions-ecigarettes-battery/99686178/

Scott Becker was sitting at conference table conducting a work meeting when the lithium ion battery that powers his e-cigarette exploded in his pocket.

"It was like having a firework go off in your pocket," said Becker, 46, of Washington Township. "I threw my chair back, I started hitting my pants and my hip. I saw the sparks shooting out of my jeans."

Beckers suffered third-degree burns and a year later, they still require treatment three times a day.

Injuries like Becker's are becoming more common, said Karla Klas, managing director for injury prevention and community outreach at the Trauma Burn Center at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

The batteries can explode with enough force to knock out teeth and crack vertebrae if they fail in the mouth of the user.

636267556168383893-becker.jpeg

Scott Becker, 46, of Washington Township, suffered a third-degree burn on his right hip last year when a battery he used in his vaping pen exploded. (Photo: handout, Scott Becker)

"We've been seeing some pretty deep burns," Klas said.

Klas made a presentation on the topic at the American Burn Association's annual conference last month in Boston. While she hasn't heard of any deaths caused by exploding e-cigarettes, an informal poll of representatives from about 20 burn centers around the country tallied almost 300 recent burn cases that required hospitalization, she said.

"Not only are the burns deep, but because of the chemicals that are in the batteries, it's almost like they are having a chemical burn on top of the thermal burn," Klass said.

(continues at link)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Meh. I'll take my chances. I don't ever carry my mod in my pocket anyway. It uses two (2) 18650 3000mAh 3.7V batteries, so it's a pretty powerful unit - putting out 200W. I just stick it into an old knife sheath I had lying around, because it takes up too much space in my pocket and it's uncomfortable when I sit down.

bnw

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Meh. I'll take my chances. I don't ever carry my mod in my pocket anyway. It uses two (2) 18650 3000mAh 3.7V batteries, so it's a pretty powerful unit - putting out 200W. I just stick it into an old knife sheath I had lying around, because it takes up too much space in my pocket and it's uncomfortable when I sit down.

Perhaps some asbestos lip balm too?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
between the new AG who said, "good people don't smoke marijuana" (*eyeroll*) and news like this, I've been leery to actually try MJ as a pain mitigating alternative.

It seemed so close, but I've had therapies that worked before taken away and...I'd rather not have it than get right and have to lose it and go back to feeling awful. It doesn't feel like a respite, feels depressing.

When I went to the dispensary, vaping was BY FAR the most popular medical marijuana alternative.

Wasn't remotely close...edibles and smoking was far, far behind.

~lyser

Rookie
A few things:

If you are a MORON, then you should carry your batteries around loose in your pocket with maybe your keys, coins and other metal items. You deserve to have your balls set ablaze.

Continuing with the MORON theme, if you don't understand ohm's law, then you have absolutely NO business using a mech mod. You and the guy that sold it to you deserve to have your teeth either kicked in or blown off. Use a regulated mod and it WILL NOT BLOW UP.

You are stupid as hell if either of the the two things above happened to you. In fact, you fucking deserved it.

Also, it is easy to make your own weed juice from decent wax or crumble. If used in a regulated mod with proper battery care, this is probably the safest way to go - no combustion and smaller chance of "eating too much" which happens all the time and can be very unpleasant.

Lastly, how much of a badass is -X- - you think he is going for his combat knife and is about to get all stabby, but he comes back with just his vape and looks at you like "WTF dude, did you just shit yourself?"

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
"I threw my chair back, I started hitting my pants and my hip. I saw the sparks shooting out of my jeans."

Beats lung cancer though right.

I just stick it into an old knife sheath

Way to vape Rambo!!!!!!!!!!! Just stop already, get off the tit fer gawds sake.

You deserve to have your balls set ablaze.

You can still turn a phrase my dear friend.