Dungy Radio Interview on Niners/Rams, Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Listening to flagship SF radio station this morning, they interviewed Tony Dungy. He talked about several general things in anticipation the start of the NFL season. Then they got to the subject of the coming Monday Night Football matchup. A few notable insights from that conversation:
  • I didn't realize, but Dungy's son played for Chip Kelly up in Oregon. Dungy seems to have warm feelings for Kelly, and a general respect for him. He also believes in Kelly's coaching style, and said that he thinks he will "eventually be successful".
  • Dungy's hesitancy with predicting early success for Kelly, and the Niners, seems to be a personnel issue. He didn't knock current players, but did note that the 49ers were better equipped with Gore, Davis, Kaepernick and Crabtree, (all before they got old, or decided to start sucking) He was cautious about predicting any success for this year. (Read: in his gentlemanly way, Dungy was saying we should blow them out.)
  • On Goff, the Bay Area radio hosts asked Dungy, prefacing the question with the fact that "Here is a local boy. Grew up in Marin County. Went to Cal. A lot of people in this area following him. And he is not even going to be dressed for the first game Monday Night! :shocked: What is going on with Jared Goff?": Dungy's answer was not from this school::banghead: :help::fuelfire::headexplosion::shocked: :baghead: :eek::giveup:He was decidedly from this school: (y):cool::icare::popcorn::shades::cheers: Dungy noted that he believed Goff shows promise, and that it is a process with quarterbacks. He noted that he has made some good throws in the preseason, and has all the tools. He believes the notion that young quarterbacks should step right in and be ready to lead an NFL team is ridiculous. "Payton Manning had Hall of famer running back Marshall Faulk, Hall of Fame receiver Marvin Harrison, and he went 3-13, and threw nearly 30 picks."
  • His words echoed recently posted articles noting that there has been only one quarterback (Luck) picked in the modern era in the first round that has had a winning record as a rookie. The Rams are built to win now, and can be patient with Goff.
I'm not one that needs other people to agree with me to validate my opinion. Majority opinion, or consensus do not equal truth. But it is nice to hear sober, measured analysis cut its way through the foggy thinking that pervades lame-stream media. (Sports, politics, you name it)

I like Dungy. He is a good man.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am a huge fan of Tony Dungy. Dude is more than just a football coach, he's a great man who has a deep understanding of people. For those who haven't read his books, they're superb, and that's coming from someone who doesn't share his faith. Just an impressive dude and a great role model.

So it doesn't surprise me that he was on point with Goff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh and btw gotta give SF credit on that under the radar trade for Streater with KC. That kid was having a very good preseason.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Not a big Dungy fan, but his comments hit home. He has just upped his credibility with me.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
His words echoed recently posted articles noting that there has been only one quarterback (Luck) picked in the modern era in the first round that has had a winning record as a rookie. The Rams are built to win now, and can be patient with Goff.

That is not accurate. Here are the 1st rd QBs with winning records since 2008:
M Ryan (11-5)
J Flacco (11-5)
M Sanchez (9-7)
Andrew Luck (11-5)
RGIII (10-6)​

fearsomefour

Legend
Dungy is a class guy.
Comparing a guy like Luck who came from a pro offense to these newer QBs like Goff who have never been under center.....dumb.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I like Dungy a lot, but he wasn't exactly a QB whisperer when he was still coaching

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
M Ryan (11-5)
J Flacco (11-5)
M Sanchez (9-7)
Andrew Luck (11-5)
RGIII (10-6)​
Maybe the stat was for first overall picks. I'm just going by memory. I know he cited John Elway as one of those that failed to reach .500

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Dungy is a class guy.
Comparing a guy like Luck who came from a pro offense to these newer QBs like Goff who have never been under center.....dumb.

To the point, RGIII was the only spread QB drafted in the 1st round with a winning record. If you include all rookies that started as rookies regardless of their draft position, Geno Smith is the only other spread QB with a non losing record at 8-8.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
M Ryan (11-5)
J Flacco (11-5)
M Sanchez (9-7)
Andrew Luck (11-5)
RGIII (10-6)​

Also, Roethlisberger was undefeated as a rookie a few years prior to 2008, 13-0 during the regular season in fact, and was selected in the first round. 18th I think.

Ramatik

Starter
M Ryan (11-5)
J Flacco (11-5)
M Sanchez (9-7)
Andrew Luck (11-5)
RGIII (10-6)​

Only one of them won a Superbowl. And those were pretty good teams too. RGIII and Sanchez weren't even kept by those teams that rushed them in. Pushing them onto the field ruined their careers. That's why Ryan can't win a playoff game and everybody is still waiting on Luck. Flacco got lucky once, and fell right back.

Heh. Being sarcastic, but really, that's proof of absolutely nothing. Goff is his own man.