Duke Williams looks 'at life a totally different way' now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Duke Williams looks 'at life a totally different way' now

By Mark Inabinett

[www.al.com]

The Los Angeles Rams might have been just the right team for former Auburn wide receiver Duke Williams. Wide receiver is a position of need for the Rams, Williams has a "brother figure" on the team and Los Angeles makes every effort to get its rookies ready for life in the NFL.

Los Angeles became the last team to start Phase 3 of its offseason program when it held its first Organized Team Activity for 2016 on Tuesday, then practiced again on Wednesday and Friday. The Rams continue OTAs on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday this week before minicamp on June 14-16.

The Rams signed Williams after he attended their rookie minicamp (which Los Angeles calls "rookie orientation"
smilie3.gif
as a tryout player on the first weekend in May.

After being suspended twice before being kicked off the team at Auburn, Williams doesn't intend to give the Rams any reason to let him go.

"They gave me this chance," Williams told Jack Wang of the Orange County Register. "I'm not here to blow my chance."

Williams played in only five games and caught 12 passes for Auburn in 2015 before being dismissed from the team on Oct. 5. Coach Gus Malzahn dismissed Williams when the wide receiver was involved in an altercation outside a bar after the Tigers' victory over San Jose State on Oct. 3. The brawl left reserve center Xavier Dampeer with a jaw injury that caused him to miss the rest of the season.

During the 2014 season, Williams was suspended twice, including for the Outback Bowl.

After undergoing counseling earlier this year to help with conflict resolution and emotional control, Williams said he's not the same person that he was at Auburn.

"Now I look at life a totally different way," Williams said. "Not everybody's against me. Not everybody wants to hurt me. ... There's people out here that are cheering for me. I just look at the positives."

One of the people in Williams' corner is Greg Robinson, Los Angeles' left offensive tackle. Williams said the former Auburn standout is a "brother figure" as the wide receiver tries to break into the NFL. The Rams took Robinson with the second choice in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Before starting OTAs last week, the Rams' rookies spent the previous week listening to speakers every afternoon to prepare them for life in the NFL.

"Obviously, their coaches go through the X's and O's of what they need to do on the field to be successful," said La'Roi Glover, Los Angeles' director of player engagement. "My role is to fill in the blanks of some of those opportunities that may present themselves off the field as far as life skills, managing money and managing fame. ...

"The most important piece is there are resources. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask for them -- not just help on the football field from a football perspective, but help navigating life, help navigating family, help navigating finances, help navigating anything that comes about on or off the football field."

On the field, Williams is one of 14 receivers on the Los Angeles roster. But six are rookies, including fourth-round draft pick Pharoh Cooper of South Carolina and sixth-round pick Mike Thomas of Southern Miss. Like Williams, Paul McRoberts of Southeastern Missouri State, Marquez North of Tennessee and Nelson Spruce of Colorado are undrafted rookies.

Tavon Austin led the Rams with 52 receptions in 2015, and Los Angeles coach Jeff Fisher said Austin might double that total this season.

No other wide receiver had more than 36 receptions for the Rams last year, although Kenny Britt did lead the team with 681 receiving yards. Bradley Marquez caught 13 passes and Brian Quick caught 10 for the Rams in 2015.

Stedman Bailey caught 12 passes last season, but he has not been cleared to return to football after being shot in the head on Nov. 24. He has been at OTAs, though, helping coach the young receivers.

The other three receivers on the roster – Kain Colter, Deon Long and J.J. Worton – have never caught an NFL pass.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not many DT La'Roi Glover [director of player engagement] types entering the NFL these days....a true pro's pro(y). The Rams Org. knows how to pick good ones to help out on some of these very important outter edges.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not many DT La'Roi Glover [director of player engagement] types entering the NFL these days....a true pro's pro(y). The Rams Org. knows how to pick good ones to help out on some of these very important outter edges.

I concur and I remember when they hired Glover for this very position no doubt a major asset to the organization and an excellent role model as player, a citizen and a person. This is another area that goes somewhat unnoticed by the media and fans, Fisher & Snead have done an excellent job with some troubled athletes like Janoris Jenkins for example. So let's hope they have similar success with Duke Williams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I concur and I remember when they hired Glover for this very position no doubt a major asset to the organization and an excellent role model as player, a citizen and a person. This is another area that goes somewhat unnoticed by the media and fans, Fisher & Snead have done an excellent job with some troubled athletes like Janoris Jenkins for example. So let's hope they have similar success with Duke Williams.
In 2010, the St. Louis Rams hired Glover as the Director of Player Engagement, where he helps players make the transition to pro football and assist them with various off-field matters. Glover is a guest member on the Football Night sportscaster team of San Diego television station KNSD. Glover earned a Master of Business Administration degree from Fontbonne University in St. Louis, Mo. in 2012

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't how much Glover plays a role in this. I do know The Rams have a big Auburn connection .
-- TJ & Tre missing OTA's maybe a new system thing. Take care of your crap before you come back.

-- Funny how G.Rob is the man.He is a big man with as big of a heart.

I don't know there true relationship ,except he has a friend on his side.
That is an example of why The Rams drafted him #2 overall .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Williams fills out the #81
Jersey all right.He does stand out.

Little Aaron Green wearing Jerome Bettis 36,who scored on a nice run at the Senior Bowl.Can't believe he didn't get picked up .

Then McRoberts played well in Senior Bowl and is wearing Sam Bradford jersey.--

Nice pick ups at for UDFA

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good on Greg Robinson to be that mature. Hopefully Williams can act on his advice, stay away from bad influences, and make the roster.