Duck's 2014 Hindsight Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

duckhunter

Starter
This is just my preferences. I would think you have yours, but have at it anyway.

1. LT Jake Matthews. In spite of what the Rams say I'm concerned with Jake Long's injury and history. Wanted someone with more proven pass blocking prowess. Do not want to see Robinson or Saffold have to fill in at LT in order to keep Sam standing upright. Robinson has a higher ceiling and I like that they will start him at LG. I don't compare the pick of Robinson with Smith because I see Robinson's floor as an all-pro guard as a minimum.

1. DT A Donald. A little surprised but like the pick.

2. Slot CB Joyner. I'm ok with them going up to get him. He'll contribute early.

3. RB Mason. Not for sure if we needed him here but it was value pick.

4. FS Ed Reynolds. I'm not comfortable with McLeod. He looked better as the season went along. Reynolds has more experience and cover ability than Mo. If Mo moves to SS and McDonald to FS at some point, that can work but when and if. Mo seemed to early at 4 for me.

6. CB E J Gaines. Great pick. Gaines improved each year and has covered the best in both Big 12 and SEC. Sure I yelled at the TV early in his career at his consistency from play to play. He has his worts but the guy has the mentality of a CB. Plays off and man on both sides.

6. QB Gilbert. I expected the Rams to go a little earlier but Gilbert has the tools and now needs coaching. June Jones always gives his guys plenty of opportunities to scatter the ball around.

7. OT Van Dyke. I would think a practice squad guy with some nice tools to work with.

7. S CB Bryant. Injured in 2013. Broken foot. Looked good when he played. Worth a roll of the dice.

7. LB Christian Jones. Not comfortable with the experience behind our top 3 LBs. Jones has played all 3 LB positions and is very athletic. Instincts could have been better at times but learning a new LB position three years running might hinder a person some. He seemed like a perfect fit for us behind all three LBs and better competition can't hurt anything.

7. TE AC Leonard. 4.5 40. 1.5 10 yard split. 34 vertical for a TE. Seems like Snisher's sort of guy. Soft hands. Adds depth and competition. I realize they got a guy on the practice squad they like but the proverbial injury bug is always in my mind.

I don't like giving grades this early but if I have to, I'd say B+. That's about the max I would ever go, like D is probably the least I will give. I tweaked the Rams picks at 4 positions so that must be considered in the grade.

Mods. If this needs to be moved no problem. Chalk it up to senility.

My hindsight draft:

2 (1,2): Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
13 (1,13): Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
41 (2,9): Lamarcus Joyner, FS, Florida State
75 (3,11): Tre Mason, RB, Auburn
110 (4,10): Mo Alexander, SS, Utah State
188 (6,12): EJ Gaines, CB, Missouri
214 (6,38): Garrett Gilbert, QB, Southern Methodist
226 (7,11): Mitchell Van Dyk OT, Portland State
241 (7,26): C.B. Bryant, S, Ohio State
249 (7,35): Demetrius Rhaney, C, Tennessee State
250 (7,34): Michael Sam, DE, Missouri

duckhunter

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My hindsight draft:

You sly devil you.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
My hindsight draft:

Why flip around Rhaney and Sam? ;)

Anyway, not sure one can really do a "hindsight" draft on 2014. These dudes still haven't play a single NFL snap. It comes down to whether or not you agree with the team. And I'd say trusting the regime aside, if any of us had control, we would have disagreed with the team at some point. Just the nature of the beast.

Now a 2011 hindsight draft would result in a lot of difference... of course, there'd be no way we'd get Robert Quinn in that one.

duckhunter

Starter
Why flip around Rhaney and Sam? ;)

Anyway, not sure one can really do a "hindsight" draft on 2014. These dudes still haven't play a single NFL snap. It comes down to whether or not you agree with the team. And I'd say trusting the regime aside, if any of us had control, we would have disagreed with the team at some point. Just the nature of the beast.

Now a 2011 hindsight draft would result in a lot of difference... of course, there'd be no way we'd get Robert Quinn in that one.

This may shed some light, right or wrong. Teams don't always get it right. There's plenty of examples of that. My team, way back when, the Cardinals back in the 60s/70s, drafting a color blind QB in the first and out of the league soon afterwards. A year before or just afterwards, take a kicker in the first and then out of the league soon afterwards. It's history but no need to denigrate the organization or players.

Obviously, we don't have the info or the discussion that the FO has. It's impossible to know their thinking because they generally don't comment negatively on any player. I can only work with the info I know however limited it is. As an example, some of the players were downgraded for pee tests and conduct that may not come to light much later if ever.

It's easier to see 2 or 3 years later what the results were and then everybody and their brother will say they saw it then. Well, I'm on record, right or wrong. Sure, I could be wrong for a lot of reasons but I'll put my thoughts out there and take my chances of being wrong. I'm human and missed terribly on QB Clausen. Heck, I could have a HOFamer where they don't and they could have one where I don't. That's the fun of it for me. Hindsight drafts at least give you an opportunity to document a difference of opinion immediately rather than wiggle in later. I've seen posters be criticized for mentioning a guy as a late round prospect and then less than a month later the person who criticized the poster and player have the same player listed as high as the 2nd round because the guy is rising late and changed his mind.

I will still root for our new team players regardless of the situation and if they go elsewhere hope they do well, unless it's against us.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
This may shed some light, right or wrong. Teams don't always get it right. There's plenty of examples of that. My team, way back when, the Cardinals back in the 60s/70s, drafting a color blind QB in the first and out of the league soon afterwards. A year before or just afterwards, take a kicker in the first and then out of the league soon afterwards. It's history but no need to denigrate the organization or players.

Obviously, we don't have the info or the discussion that the FO has. It's impossible to know their thinking because they generally don't comment negatively on any player. I can only work with the info I know however limited it is. As an example, some of the players were downgraded for pee tests and conduct that may not come to light much later if ever.

It's easier to see 2 or 3 years later what the results were and then everybody and their brother will say they saw it then. Well, I'm on record, right or wrong. Sure, I could be wrong for a lot of reasons but I'll put my thoughts out there and take my chances of being wrong. I'm human and missed terribly on QB Clausen. Heck, I could have a HOFamer where they don't and they could have one where I don't. That's the fun of it for me. Hindsight drafts at least give you an opportunity to document a difference of opinion immediately rather than wiggle in later. I've seen posters be criticized for mentioning a guy as a late round prospect and then less than a month later the person who criticized the poster and player have the same player listed as high as the 2nd round because the guy is rising late and changed his mind.

I will still root for our new team players regardless of the situation and if they go elsewhere hope they do well, unless it's against us.
You have to admit George Boone was an idiot at picking early round draft choices! Clyde Duncan was the worst! Could have had Robin Cole instead!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I didn't know AC Leonard was available in the 7th....I wanted him to go to the Rams, too. I also wonder about the 4th rounder, but Fisher was a safety himself, so he must know more than us......

We are worried about a FS, Fisher is not. He must know more than us...so, I don't worry, I just think about Robinson MASHING people, and Donald slippin' gaps and then laughing with glee!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
We are worried about a FS, Fisher is not. He must know more than us...so, I don't worry,
I think this is an absolutely key point I try to keep in mind whenever the Rams don't draft the way I want them to.

There's absolutely no way Fisher (or any other Rams coach this soon after the draft) is slapping his forehead and proclaiming "Oh no! I forgot to draft a ______!" They know what we have, and what we need, and have literally spent all their waking hours thinking about it with a much better perspective than we have.

Their choice not to draft whoever we wanted was well considered and thought out in exacting detail. It still may be possible a mistake was made (and the Rams have made mistakes before), but not because Fisher wasn't smart enough to think like any of us.

duckhunter

Starter
You have to admit George Boone was an idiot at picking early round draft choices! Clyde Duncan was the worst! Could have had Robin Cole instead!

Oh my, how could I forget about that one. Little and Psizarkiwitz were right up there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My Hindsight Draft is:
1. Greg Robinson OT Auburn - While I had a slight preference towards Matthews before the draft, it seems like they have a vision and that includes Robinson at LG because Long will be ready for the season. If that's true, I'm down with Robinson. It's a win-win.

1. Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh - I love this pick. Homerun.

2. LaMarcus Joyner DB FSU - I also love this pick.

3. Phillip Gaines CB Rice - Joyner plays FS for us, Gaines plays CB. Love his movement skills, he's an elite athlete, and he has ball-skills. Think he'll pan out quite well. Scheme versatile kid. Soft and skinny though.

4. Jared Abbrederis WR Wisconsin - I've heard he has concussion issues but this kid can flat out run routes. He has more than enough speed to separate in the NFL, he has reliable hands, and he is an exceptional route runner. Sells his routes better than anyone in this draft, explosive in and out of his breaks, and highly intelligent. If he stays healthy, he'll be a productive NFL WR.

6. EJ Gaines CB Missouri - I like this pick. We need DB depth.

6. Isaiah Crowell HB Alabama State - Went undrafted due to character but this kid is an athletic HB that runs angry. #1 HB in the country out of HS, former SEC player of the year, and productive after he transferred due to legal problems.

7. Yawin Smallwood LB Connecticut - Disastrous off-season but I like the way he plays. Better athlete than his measurables suggest, can fight off blockers, and an intelligent kid. Can provide depth at SLB and MLB.

7. Eric Thomas WR Troy - Love the way he catches the football.

7. Michael Sam DE Missouri - This was a necessary pick. Love that we were the team that had the balls to make it. Props to Fisher and co.

7. Blake Annen TE Cincinnati - Freakish athlete at TE(4.41 40) that was used almost entirely as a blocker in college.

duckhunter

Starter
My Hindsight Draft is:
1. Greg Robinson OT Auburn - While I had a slight preference towards Matthews before the draft, it seems like they have a vision and that includes Robinson at LG because Long will be ready for the season. If that's true, I'm down with Robinson. It's a win-win.

1. Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh - I love this pick. Homerun.

2. LaMarcus Joyner DB FSU - I also love this pick.

3. Phillip Gaines CB Rice - Joyner plays FS for us, Gaines plays CB. Love his movement skills, he's an elite athlete, and he has ball-skills. Think he'll pan out quite well. Scheme versatile kid. Soft and skinny though.

4. Jared Abbrederis WR Wisconsin - I've heard he has concussion issues but this kid can flat out run routes. He has more than enough speed to separate in the NFL, he has reliable hands, and he is an exceptional route runner. Sells his routes better than anyone in this draft, explosive in and out of his breaks, and highly intelligent. If he stays healthy, he'll be a productive NFL WR.

6. EJ Gaines CB Missouri - I like this pick. We need DB depth.

6. Isaiah Crowell HB Alabama State - Went undrafted due to character but this kid is an athletic HB that runs angry. #1 HB in the country out of HS, former SEC player of the year, and productive after he transferred due to legal problems.

7. Yawin Smallwood LB Connecticut - Disastrous off-season but I like the way he plays. Better athlete than his measurables suggest, can fight off blockers, and an intelligent kid. Can provide depth at SLB and MLB.

7. Eric Thomas WR Troy - Love the way he catches the football.

7. Michael Sam DE Missouri - This was a necessary pick. Love that we were the team that had the balls to make it. Props to Fisher and co.

7. Blake Annen TE Cincinnati - Freakish athlete at TE(4.41 40) that was used almost entirely as a blocker in college.

Thought seriously, about working some of the same guys into my lineup, particularly Smallwood and Crowell.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Oh man...Mock drafts leading up to the draft weren't enough? Now we're doing them in retrospect???

duckhunter

Starter
Little was picked too early and then was made to do all the kicking! Coryell never wanted Zark!

Coryell gave Dallas fits in the snake pit. Back to back TDs flagged and eliminated. It got real comical. The Cards had 17 or so men on the field against them including all the refs.

The flags the Rams see today in some games remind me of then.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Bad memories there. Everybody and their Momma just knew the Cardinals were going to draft Louis Lipps that year only to hear the name Clyde Duncan.:(