DTR Draft Profile: Dorance Armstrong Jr., EDGE, Kansas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used to transport KU Football on game day in Lawrence with a Tour Bus with Mark Mangino's Jayhawks...lol. Actually four tour buses were used. I remember driving with Mangino himself in the front seat, and he wanted that bus as COLD as a meat locker, mostly cause he was so fat! When Mangino thought it wasn't cold enough, he'd tell his assistant "It's not cold enough." The assistant and Mangino were sitting right behind the drivers seat, so I heard everything. Then the assistant would repeat the words that he knew that I'd already heard "Could you make it cooler?" Meanwhile, I'm in a parka and wearing cloves while driving...lol

When driving the visiting team to the stadium, I'd get flipped off by everyone in the crowd along the route, because they knew who the occupants were....Best T-Shirt during the Mangino era? "Our Coach can eat YOUR coach." lol
LMAO Why are there so many KU ties everywhere I go! I love it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think people forget that guys like John Riggins, Gale Sayers, Dana Stubblefield, LeRoy Irvin, Nolan Cromwell, Aqib Talib, Chris Harris Jr. among others, all went there!

Only if they are young and don't study the history of the game....Not to mention, Bobby Douglass & David Jaynes!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But his raw talent you need to keep in mind just needs NFL coaching. He was on a team that won 3 games in his whole time there. Imagine how bad the coaching had to be.

Or maybe he just doesn't have the goods. That's the risk you take. Watch his film and Shaquem Griffin's film. At 6'0" 220, Griffin isn't big enough to be a full-time NFL edge rusher, but he already has a much more developed set of pass rush moves, a much better pass rush plan, and a much more developed understanding of how to attack OTs. Griffin is at UCF. It's not like he's getting NFL coaching. Griffin simply works that much harder than everyone else.

At the end of the day, if they take Armstrong on Day 3, that's fine. If he really blows up the Combine, maybe he jumps into Day 2, and that's also fine. But he doesn't look anything close to a first round talent on the field imo. The natural physical talent is there, but the technical side of the game isn't. You gotta wait for when the talent justifies the risk. However, my original opinion might have been too harsh. To be fair to him, Kansas didn't set him loose this year. That was a bad move by them.

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
So he compares with a 4-3 edge rusher?
He compares to Little as a player. He has scheme versatility in my mind. I think Armstrong can play in a 3-4 and seamlessly transition under NFL coaching.

Ram65

Legend
Interesting prospect. Seems like a pass rusher Wade could work with. Like his short area quickness. Is he a late third round pick?

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Interesting prospect. Seems like a pass rusher Wade could work with. Like his short area quickness. Is he a late third round pick?
We won't know until the combine. He's a great athlete and he could surprise people.