DTR Bye Week Mega-Show: Connor Rogers, Mike Cahill, and Nick Shook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Listeners to the Around the NFL podcast will be familiar with Nick Shook

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Connor Rodgers said:
"Sean McVay is good at scheming average receivers open. like Cooper Kupp..."

"The Rams definitely overachieved this year"

What the F*ck Jake!? Kupp is definitely NOT average in preparation, route running skill with great hands. Dude is performing really great for a rookie. And the Rams are overachievers? What??? The Rams aren't overachievers in the sense of what everyone interprets that word to mean.....mostly less talented, try hard guys. We are NOT less talented.

Mostly good podcast, tho.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike Cahill had an interesting idea about moving Alec Ogletree to OLB in our 3-4. He felt that Ogletree might become Von Miller-like in Wades system due to his athleticism and make his new contract into a bargain because the the 3-4 OLB is more valuable than a MLB in the 3-4.....

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike Cahill had an interesting idea about moving Alec Ogletree to OLB in our 3-4. He felt that Ogletree might become Von Miller-like in Wades system due to his athleticism and make his new contract into a bargain because the the 3-4 OLB is more valuable than a MLB in the 3-4.....
Thought it was interesting too. This is why we love having these guys on. You could ask everyone the same question and get 100 different answers and 100 different reasons for the answer.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Cahill struggles to see why the deep passing has tailed off the last few weeks? Um, let’s see... Richard Sherman, AJ Bouye, Patrick Peterson? So...if you’re scheming an offense to give Goff safe choices...wouldn’t it be logical to go somewhere else? Is Tom Brady a pretty good QB in spite of not having good career stats on deep passes (save when he had Randy Moss)?

Cmon man. They took some shots judiciously. Even I predicted in week 5 that that Jared could take a hit statistically the second four games and still be developing.

Also, Ogletree as a 3/4 outside linebacker HAS to be stout enough to set the edge. He needs to be able to consistently shed blocks. Yeah, he can rush the passer but there is NO WAY I want a steady diet of him out there. He’s rushing well from inside. Please, leave it alone.

With that said, I like Mike Cahill and enjoy most of his insights.

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cahill struggles to see why the deep passing has tailed off the last few weeks? Um, let’s see... Richard Sherman, AJ Bouye, Patrick Peterson? So...if you’re scheming an offense to give Goff safe choices...wouldn’t it be logical to go somewhere else? Is Tom Brady a pretty good QB in spite of not having good career stats on deep passes (save when he had Randy Moss)?

Cmon man. They took some shots judiciously. Even I predicted in week 5 that that Jared could take a statistically the second four games and still be developing.

Also, Ogletree as a 3/4 outside linebacker HAS to be stout enough to set the edge. He needs to be able to consistently shed blocks. Yeah, he can rush the passer but there is NO WAY I want a steady diet of him out there. He’s rushing well from inside. Please, leave it alone.

With that said, I like Mike Cahill and enjoy most of his insights.
I definitely hear you there. I would make the argument that Goff is being worked in slowly and is about to be unleashed in the second half of the season

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I definitely hear you there. I would make the argument that Goff is being worked in slowly and is about to be unleashed in the second half of the season

Many would argue he was unleashed v Indy and SF. McVay will attack weaknesses on defenses so I expect deep passing to always be a part of the scheme but more things have to go well on long developing plays than short ones so he will play the odds. No team has better completion rates on deep passes and I’d argue that the four minute drill at the end of the Cards game was far more important than the missed connections downfield but I’m happy to see the shots taken because it moves the 8th man out of the box.