DR's Notes: Preseason Game #2 vs. Green Bay Packers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
OK, this will just be ramblings and a quick summary of watching the game under a microscope.

The goal line fumble. I couldn't tell exactly how, but it wasn't from Sam backing out too quick. I watched this frame by frame several times from different angles. The ball seemed to catch him unawares, and kind of just went through his hands. So it could have been a bad snap angle, or Sam wasn't ready when he should have been, or his hands were not closed off enough.

Anybody ever take a snap from a real center? The ball comes in really hard and fast. Seems basic and easy, but it isn't at all. You basically have to catch and grasp at exactly the same time. Anyway, this can't happen.

Special Teams: Coverage units. They are looking better, and there are some names that stood out: Pointer; McLeod; Prince; J. Stewart. Stewart stood out for almost always being the first one down the field. He is much faster than I thought, and when in at linebacker he also played fast. He needs to break down better after sprinting downfield. That can be taught, speed can't.

Offensive Line: Barksdale played his best game by far, and he looked extremely comfortable out there. Long got beat once badly, but other times when Long was getting beat, he shows something that is truly rare...he can recover. I saw him do it a couple of times. He's special. Chris Williams looked terrible at RT, bad technique, he recovered a little after the first few plays, but doesn't look comfortable there, luck for him, Shelley Smith just looks over-matched at LG. The main problem with Smith is that he just doesn't get enough push against the big boys, and Green Bay had them. Harvey Dahl played a lot better, but didn't stand out in any way...not a bad thing.

Brandon Washington doesn't belong on the field at any position, this guy is going to get someone killed. D.J. Young has some talent, but doesn't have any technique, this guy looks as raw as raw comes. I just don't see him making it unless we elect to PS him, and Boudreau puts a lot of time in him. I was very critical of Ty Nsekhe last week. This week, he played almost flawless, and looked like a completely different player. His technique was outstanding in this game. The problems that I see is that he is obviously inconsistent from week to week, and that he can only play the left side.

Tim Barnes got some decent minutes at LG in the second half, and I was relieved to see that he played very well there. I was really having a hard time understanding how 3 "Center only" players could be awarded roster spots. I am not concerned now. I think that Barnes might be better than Smith at the Guard spot, but I need to see a larger sample size. Jones just played meh, Lee played OK, but he is just too small, and Pocic continued to struggle in his limited time on the field.

Note: There has been a lot of discussion about the run blocking, and I am sorry to report that our blocking schemes are just as vanilla as the rest of our schemes. We are pretty much talking about man blocking only. I did see some holes, but they were backside, and all of our Rb's missed some holes that were there, mostly because they were trying to slam it in there too fast. Can you blame them, they get crucified if they try to show patience?

I saw Pead make 3 exceptional blitz pickups in the game. Richardson looked great.

I want to know who the fourth TE will be after Cook, Kendricks, and Harkey. Harkey is a stud and has surprised the heck out of me, he will be Sam's best friend when he's lined up at fullback.

The WR's did a horrible job at blocking in this game, just horrible.

Helmick flashed brilliance on his catch and run. Johnson had a solid game all around. Veltung had a very good punt return, but ddropped a pass. Radway had a kick return, but dropped a pass. Nobody has separated themselves for that 6th spot. Austin is thinking too much. Quick had a nice catch. Bailey looked lost a couple of times.

Defense:

DL: Nothing real exciting to report, tough to evaluate these guys right now, but a few guys stood out. Langford was finally getting off the ball quickly, and shot the gap a couple of times. Brockers wasn't really penetrating, but was almost unmovable. Quinn is finally showing a couple of moves, and his run defense has improved dramatically. He looked possessed on a couple of plays. I'm still mad at Chris Long for jumping offsides when we had them buried. That can't happen Chris, you got more pie in your face.

Conrath will be a good player for us this year. Hayes was running WAY better than he was last week, what a difference a week makes as far as conditioning. Rivers was outstanding, and the coaches offered him a great opportunity. Rivers made the very most of it, he played nearly the whole game and he has an unstoppable motor. I saw at least four plays that very few guys could make in this league. He has that elite burst when closing on the ball. I think Rivers will be a special player for us. His movement skills, strength, and speed, are all exceptional, AND he plays with heart. We need to get him on some special teams, because he will excel there. He won't make it to the PS, he makes this roster, IMO.

Brodine was showing some versatility when he played DT, and DE. I hope he makes it to the PS, because next year with hard work, he will be a force, much like Conrath, last year. Not really impressed with anyone else.

LB: Ogletree is still thinking too much, and that is slowing him down on the field. Ray-Ray played faster this week then last, and flashed some big plays. One of his best plays was when he gave up a TD. After spinning around the wrong way, on a perfect throw to the pylon, Armstrong was able to recover and make a strong play for the ball. Stewart played really well, and he plays fast. He's starting to trust his instincts, or reads, or both. He made several good plays, and because of ST play, I think he makes the team. Bates flashed a couple of times.

Josh Hull looked dynamite out there, and I think that this is the first time that we have seen him truly healthy. he was a speed demon out there, playing fast with a purpose. He was good in coverage, and from sideline to sideline. Spoon played better than he did last week, and had a few ferocious hits.

Secondary: There were some missed tackles, but Finnegan seemed to not miss any. Pointer and McGee both looked solid, and Pointer made a spectacular special teams tackle on the punt team. That dude can change direction on a dime, and in traffic. He has a real shot at being the nickel corner if we want to leave Finnegan on the outside. This would probably keep Johnson off the field. Johnson played much better after that first missed tackle. Steeples was competitive when the ball went his way, but I don't think he makes the roster.

All of the safeties played pretty well, and McLeod could end up being the free safety. He just flies around out here making plays. Stewart missed a couple tackles, and he is constantly getting hurt. I just don't know about him now. McDonald made a couple huge hits. Daniels is really coming on fast, and seems to be the clear #2 SS. Davis will make the team, he is just a really solid player that is always in the right spot. Hall has really caught my eye the last two preseason games, but we are too deep for him to make the roster, so he will probably be asked to play on our PS.

Added: Benny scores a long TD if not whistled down. There was an obvious PI on Givens, which would have extended a drive, and on the next GB possession, a not so obvious PI that overturned an exceptional INT by McLeod. The holding call on the long Richardson run was horrible, IMO, and they missed a deep one on Quick. Refs were in mid-season form for GB.

I probably forgot some stuff, but would be happy to engage in discussion, or answer any questions any of you have. I made a preliminary 54 last night.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Really nice report, DR.

Something about the goal line fumble really bothers me.

I just wonder how many times Sam has fumbled a snap in his career, and how many of them were near the goal line.

Right now, no one will ever accuse Bradford of having ice water in his veins. I just don't want to hear that Sam got too excited. That has to stop now.

bluecoconuts

Legend
max said:
Really nice report, DR.

I just wonder how many times Sam has fumbled a snap in his career, and how many of them were near the goal line.

Right now, no one will ever accuse Bradford of having ice water in his veins. I just don't want to hear that Sam got too excited. That has to stop now.

He was pretty good in crunch time last year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
max said:
Really nice report, DR.

It just seemed to come in at a bad angle, he didn't leave early like most said. It was weird though, and Sam should have had it regardless, maybe he was still beating himself up after missing the Austin pass... Only Sam and Wells really know what happened, and I'm not sure if anybody took responsibility, or explained what happened.

I'm with you though, Sam needs to calm down a little early in games while his adrenaline is pumping hard. Remember Bulger I think it was, where his first few passes were almost always high, and then he settled down? Rodgers did that too. I think he'll be just fine, especially once scoring becomes more commonplace for the team.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Great stuff Dr.

Pointer is one of my favorite back-ups on the squad. Dude is consistantly counted out but just shows in and does what he needs to do.

Are you gonna post your preliminary roster?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
Great stuff Dr.

Pointer is one of my favorite back-ups on the squad. Dude is consistantly counted out but just shows in and does what he needs to do.

Are you gonna post your preliminary roster?
Yes. I am at a point where I can only see a couple of changes. I'll probably do it after I study the Denver game. I might open a thread on some of the fringe players, and get some input from everybody. That could be fun.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hell of a nice write up, DR.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
DR RAM said:
max said:
Really nice report, DR.

It just seemed to come in at a bad angle, he didn't leave early like most said. It was weird though, and Sam should have had it regardless, maybe he was still beating himself up after missing the Austin pass... Only Sam and Wells really know what happened, and I'm not sure if anybody took responsibility, or explained what happened.

I'm with you though, Sam needs to calm down a little early in games while his adrenaline is pumping hard. Remember Bulger I think it was, where his first few passes were almost always high, and then he settled down? Rodgers did that too. I think he'll be just fine, especially once scoring becomes more commonplace for the team.

You may be right, Sam certainly deserves to be a little excited after the garbage he has had to deal with his first 3 years.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
EEZ GEWD. :ww:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RamsONDEMAND/status/371088337173360642[/tweet]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
EEZ GEWD. :ww:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RamsONDEMAND/status/371088337173360642[/tweet]
Thanks, any other observations, or comments if you get the chance.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
DR RAM said:
OK, this will just be ramblings and a quick summary of watching the game under a microscope.

The goal line fumble. I couldn't tell exactly how, but it wasn't from Sam backing out too quick. I watched this frame by frame several times from different angles. The ball seemed to catch him unawares, and kind of just went through his hands. So it could have been a bad snap angle, or Sam wasn't ready when he should have been, or his hands were not closed off enough.

Anybody ever take a snap from a real center? The ball comes in really hard and fast. Seems basic and easy, but it isn't at all. You basically have to catch and grasp at exactly the same time. Anyway, this can't happen.

Special Teams: Coverage units. They are looking better, and there are some names that stood out: Pointer; McLeod; Prince; J. Stewart. Stewart stood out for almost always being the first one down the field. He is much faster than I thought, and when in at linebacker he also played fast. He needs to break down better after sprinting downfield. That can be taught, speed can't.

Offensive Line: Barksdale played his best game by far, and he looked extremely comfortable out there. Long got beat once badly, but other times when Long was getting beat, he shows something that is truly rare...he can recover. I saw him do it a couple of times. He's special. Chris Williams looked terrible at RT, bad technique, he recovered a little after the first few plays, but doesn't look comfortable there, luck for him, Shelley Smith just looks over-matched at LG. The main problem with Smith is that he just doesn't get enough push against the big boys, and Green Bay had them. Harvey Dahl played a lot better, but didn't stand out in any way...not a bad thing.

Brandon Washington doesn't belong on the field at any position, this guy is going to get someone killed. D.J. Young has some talent, but doesn't have any technique, this guy looks as raw as raw comes. I just don't see him making it unless we elect to PS him, and Boudreau puts a lot of time in him. I was very critical of Ty Nsekhe last week. This week, he played almost flawless, and looked like a completely different player. His technique was outstanding in this game. The problems that I see is that he is obviously inconsistent from week to week, and that he can only play the left side.

Tim Barnes got some decent minutes at LG in the second half, and I was relieved to see that he played very well there. I was really having a hard time understanding how 3 "Center only" players could be awarded roster spots. I am not concerned now. I think that Barnes might be better than Smith at the Guard spot, but I need to see a larger sample size. Jones just played meh, Lee played OK, but he is just too small, and Pocic continued to struggle in his limited time on the field.

Note: There has been a lot of discussion about the run blocking, and I am sorry to report that our blocking schemes are just as vanilla as the rest of our schemes. We are pretty much talking about man blocking only. I did see some holes, but they were backside, and all of our Rb's missed some holes that were there, mostly because they were trying to slam it in there too fast. Can you blame them, they get crucified if they try to show patience?

I saw Pead make 3 exceptional blitz pickups in the game. Richardson looked great.

I want to know who the fourth TE will be after Cook, Kendricks, and Harkey. Harkey is a stud and has surprised the heck out of me, he will be Sam's best friend when he's lined up at fullback.

The WR's did a horrible job at blocking in this game, just horrible.

Helmick flashed brilliance on his catch and run. Johnson had a solid game all around. Veltung had a very good punt return, but ddropped a pass. Radway had a kick return, but dropped a pass. Nobody has separated themselves for that 6th spot. Austin is thinking too much. Quick had a nice catch. Bailey looked lost a couple of times.

Defense:

DL: Nothing real exciting to report, tough to evaluate these guys right now, but a few guys stood out. Langford was finally getting off the ball quickly, and shot the gap a couple of times. Brockers wasn't really penetrating, but was almost unmovable. Quinn is finally showing a couple of moves, and his run defense has improved dramatically. He looked possessed on a couple of plays. I'm still mad at Chris Long for jumping offsides when we had them buried. That can't happen Chris, you got more pie in your face.

Conrath will be a good player for us this year. Hayes was running WAY better than he was last week, what a difference a week makes as far as conditioning. Rivers was outstanding, and the coaches offered him a great opportunity. Rivers made the very most of it, he played nearly the whole game and he has an unstoppable motor. I saw at least four plays that very few guys could make in this league. He has that elite burst when closing on the ball. I think Rivers will be a special player for us. His movement skills, strength, and speed, are all exceptional, AND he plays with heart. We need to get him on some special teams, because he will excel there. He won't make it to the PS, he makes this roster, IMO.

Brodine was showing some versatility when he played DT, and DE. I hope he makes it to the PS, because next year with hard work, he will be a force, much like Conrath, last year. Not really impressed with anyone else.

LB: Ogletree is still thinking too much, and that is slowing him down on the field. Ray-Ray played faster this week then last, and flashed some big plays. One of his best plays was when he gave up a TD. After spinning around the wrong way, on a perfect throw to the pylon, Armstrong was able to recover and make a strong play for the ball. Stewart played really well, and he plays fast. He's starting to trust his instincts, or reads, or both. He made several good plays, and because of ST play, I think he makes the team. Bates flashed a couple of times.

Josh Hull looked dynamite out there, and I think that this is the first time that we have seen him truly healthy. he was a speed demon out there, playing fast with a purpose. He was good in coverage, and from sideline to sideline. Spoon played better than he did last week, and had a few ferocious hits.

Secondary: There were some missed tackles, but Finnegan seemed to not miss any. Pointer and McGee both looked solid, and Pointer made a spectacular special teams tackle on the punt team. That dude can change direction on a dime, and in traffic. He has a real shot at being the nickel corner if we want to leave Finnegan on the outside. This would probably keep Johnson off the field. Johnson played much better after that first missed tackle. Steeples was competitive when the ball went his way, but I don't think he makes the roster.

All of the safeties played pretty well, and McLeod could end up being the free safety. He just flies around out here making plays. Stewart missed a couple tackles, and he is constantly getting hurt. I just don't know about him now. McDonald made a couple huge hits. Daniels is really coming on fast, and seems to be the clear #2 SS. Davis will make the team, he is just a really solid player that is always in the right spot. Hall has really caught my eye the last two preseason games, but we are too deep for him to make the roster, so he will probably be asked to play on our PS.

Added: Benny scores a long TD if not whistled down. There was an obvious PI on Givens, which would have extended a drive, and on the next GB possession, a not so obvious PI that overturned an exceptional INT by McLeod. The holding call on the long Richardson run was horrible, IMO, and they missed a deep one on Quick. Refs were in mid-season form for GB.

I probably forgot some stuff, but would be happy to engage in discussion, or answer any questions any of you have. I made a preliminary 54 last night.

This is an outstanding take on the game, I disagree with just about nothing here. I am enthused about the possibility of Davis, Armstrong and others turning into contributors next year. Just can't see several of the longshots doing much this year but we have something to build on at LB, S, DL and more. TE too

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One outstanding post DR RAM...you are one fine rambler...

Offensive Line: Barksdale played his best game by far, and he looked extremely comfortable out there.

Yes it was he does very well at his first initial move he has really improved in this area...but as the the play continues he does have issues with the speeders. The speeders do beat him on his right side. His run blocking has improved greatly I am very pleasantly surprised. This Packer game he only played ORT.

Chris Williams looked terrible at RT, bad technique, he recovered a little after the first few plays, but doesn't look comfortable there..

Chris Williams took over for Brandon Washington @ ORT & just stunk period. I even thought Washington who was awful too looked a bit better overall. Chris only played ORT this game & for only two series.

Shelley Smith just looks over-matched at LG. The main problem with Smith is that he just doesn't get enough push against the big boys, and Green Bay had them.

True but he did not make any mistakes nor did he miss any blocks he seems to loose ground a bit but there were no major breakdowns neither. But I do find myself wanting better play @ OLG.

I was very critical of Ty Nsekhe last week. This week, he played almost flawless, and looked like a completely different player. His technique was outstanding in this game. The problems that I see is that he is obviously inconsistent from week to week, and that he can only play the left side.

Ty did have a good game & handled the speeders well he does this by using his long arms and frame to steer them way back out of the play...at first it looks like he is getting beat but as the play goes on the speeder ends up yards behind the QB....not close to bothering the QB...impressive.

Tim Barnes got some decent minutes at LG in the second half, and I was relieved to see that he played very well there. I was really having a hard time understanding how 3 "Center only" players could be awarded roster spots. I am not concerned now. I think that Barnes might be better than Smith at the Guard spot, but I need to see a larger sample size.

Barnes replaced first team OLG Shelley Smith & IMO Barnes was the best performing Ram OG on the field in this Packer game! I went back and watched him ...only him until he was replaced by Ryan Lee. Barnes based on this short showing provides me some great hope that Boudreau may have found a golden nugget here by surprise. If you think I am blowing smoke here please go & watch Barnes & Ty Neskhe play that left side. This past week Barnes has been getting reps with the 2nd team @ OLG too. This bares watching from this point on.

Agree 100% Harkey just keeps getting better play after play. I am sure that all three make this master roster but McNeil has hung in there now for well over a year & has a strong lock on the 4th TE/H-Back IMO.

DL: Conrath will be a good player for us this year.
Of our 4th DT's Conrath is by far our best pass rusher.

Rivers was outstanding, and the coaches offered him a great opportunity. Rivers made the very most of it, he played nearly the whole game and he has an unstoppable motor. I saw at least four plays that very few guys could make in this league. He has that elite burst when closing on the ball. I think Rivers will be a special player for us. His movement skills, strength, and speed, are all exceptional, AND he plays with heart. We need to get him on some special teams, because he will excel there. He won't make it to the PS, he makes this roster, IMO.

Once again I agree no way they let this speeder hit the open PS market. Its going to be interesting on how Fisher works this out cuz somebody has to go to make room for Rivers. Hayes could end up moving inside along with Conrath and Cudjo may be in trouble just don't know.

Brodine played the entire game when they move in the 3rd string DT's Brodine move to RDE and just kept on coming. He is sure to land on the PS but after all that he has shown thus far in two games he will end up on another team.

Josh Hull looked dynamite out there..
Yes yes & yes Hull is a very good back up to JL. Ray Ray Armstrong & Daren Bates are also impressive! if JL-WW & Tree are our starters & we have Armstrong-Hull & Bates as our reserves we should be in very good shape @ Lb'er.

Secondary: CB Trumaine Johnson was not sharp! Potter outplayed him. I think Fisher goes with five CB's (JJ, TJ, CF, ZP & BM)

I thought that Rod McLeod was our best safety on the field in the Packer game. I believe he has already sent Stewart to the bench & no one knows it yet. Its going to be real hard not to want to keep 5 safeties. It would not surprise me that McDonald & McLeod start with Daniels, Davis & Hall all making the master roster & Stewart trade bait.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
BonifayRam said:
One outstanding post DR RAM...you are one fine rambler...

Offensive Line: Barksdale played his best game by far, and he looked extremely comfortable out there.

Yes it was he does very well at his first initial move he has really improved in this area...but as the the play continues he does have issues with the speeders. The speeders do beat him on his right side. His run blocking has improved greatly I am very pleasantly surprised. This Packer game he only played ORT.

Chris Williams looked terrible at RT, bad technique, he recovered a little after the first few plays, but doesn't look comfortable there..

Chris Williams took over for Brandon Washington @ ORT & just stunk period. I even thought Washington who was awful too looked a bit better overall. Chris only played ORT this game & for only two series.

Shelley Smith just looks over-matched at LG. The main problem with Smith is that he just doesn't get enough push against the big boys, and Green Bay had them.

True but he did not make any mistakes nor did he miss any blocks he seems to loose ground a bit but there were no major breakdowns neither. But I do find myself wanting better play @ OLG.

I was very critical of Ty Nsekhe last week. This week, he played almost flawless, and looked like a completely different player. His technique was outstanding in this game. The problems that I see is that he is obviously inconsistent from week to week, and that he can only play the left side.

Ty did have a good game & handled the speeders well he does this by using his long arms and frame to steer them way back out of the play...at first it looks like he is getting beat but as the play goes on the speeder ends up yards behind the QB....not close to bothering the QB...impressive.

Tim Barnes got some decent minutes at LG in the second half, and I was relieved to see that he played very well there. I was really having a hard time understanding how 3 "Center only" players could be awarded roster spots. I am not concerned now. I think that Barnes might be better than Smith at the Guard spot, but I need to see a larger sample size.

Barnes replaced first team OLG Shelley Smith & IMO Barnes was the best performing Ram OG on the field in this Packer game! I went back and watched him ...only him until he was replaced by Ryan Lee. Barnes based on this short showing provides me some great hope that Boudreau may have found a golden nugget here by surprise. If you think I am blowing smoke here please go & watch Barnes & Ty Neskhe play that left side. This past week Barnes has been getting reps with the 2nd team @ OLG too. This bares watching from this point on.

Agree 100% Harkey just keeps getting better play after play. I am sure that all three make this master roster but McNeil has hung in there now for well over a year & has a strong lock on the 4th TE/H-Back IMO.

DL: Conrath will be a good player for us this year.
Of our 4th DT's Conrath is by far our best pass rusher.

Rivers was outstanding, and the coaches offered him a great opportunity. Rivers made the very most of it, he played nearly the whole game and he has an unstoppable motor. I saw at least four plays that very few guys could make in this league. He has that elite burst when closing on the ball. I think Rivers will be a special player for us. His movement skills, strength, and speed, are all exceptional, AND he plays with heart. We need to get him on some special teams, because he will excel there. He won't make it to the PS, he makes this roster, IMO.

Once again I agree no way they let this speeder hit the open PS market. Its going to be interesting on how Fisher works this out cuz somebody has to go to make room for Rivers. Hayes could end up moving inside along with Conrath and Cudjo may be in trouble just don't know.

Brodine played the entire game when they move in the 3rd string DT's Brodine move to RDE and just kept on coming. He is sure to land on the PS but after all that he has shown thus far in two games he will end up on another team.

Josh Hull looked dynamite out there..
Yes yes & yes Hull is a very good back up to JL. Ray Ray Armstrong & Daren Bates are also impressive! if JL-WW & Tree are our starters & we have Armstrong-Hull & Bates as our reserves we should be in very good shape @ Lb'er.

Secondary: CB Trumaine Johnson was not sharp! Potter outplayed him. I think Fisher goes with five CB's (JJ, TJ, CF, ZP & BM)

I thought that Rod McLeod was our best safety on the field in the Packer game. I believe he has already sent Stewart to the bench & no one knows it yet. Its going to be real hard not to want to keep 5 safeties. It would not surprise me that McDonald & McLeod start with Daniels, Davis & Hall all making the master roster & Stewart trade bait.
I'm pretty much with you on everything.