Drew Brees closing in on his fifth 5,000-yard season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/25/drew-brees-closing-in-on-his-fifth-5000-yard-season/

Drew Brees closing in on his fifth 5,000-yard season
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 25, 2016

630502090.jpg
Getty Images

Saints quarterback Drew Brees is the only player in NFL history to pass for 5,000 yards in a season more than once. This year, Brees is likely to do it for the fifth time.

Brees has an NFL-high 4,858 passing yards this season, meaning he’ll almost certainly top 5,000 yards for the season in Week 17. Brees leads the league in passing by more than 200 yards over Washington’s Kirk Cousins, who has 4,630 passing yards this season, meaning Brees is a virtual lock to finish as the league leader for the seventh time in his career.

The rate at which Brees puts up yardage is unprecedented in NFL history: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Dan Marino and Matthew Stafford have each reached 5,000 yards once, and no one else has ever done it at all. If the 37-year-old Brees stays healthy for two more years, he’s likely to pass both Brett Favre and Manning and move into first place all-time in total passing yards.

It’s been a disappointing season for the Saints, who are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, but Brees has added another strong season to his Hall of Fame résumé.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
How anyone can NOT want Asshole Face for our HC is beyond me...

He took a very good QB coming off of a severe injury and turned him into a scoring terror in a WCO...which, honestly isn't the easiest thing in a league with LBs that can run and cover (think of how many times we beat the Saints when they overemphasized Graham).

And it wasn't for lack of trying to find the best defensive minds to match with Asshole Face... Then again, he never had this much talent even as undisciplined as they've been playing (they probably were more talented last year with JJ, Fairley, JL and CL)

Point being that I have NO doubt based on how I evaluate things (that whole pattern thing...) that Asshole Face would just CRUSH here.

No...I don't mean "do well". I'm not saying that.

I mean freaking CRUSH. It's about how things fit. Patterns.

What did I say in the off-season.

Well. THIS time, I'm saying that Asshole Face is THE FIT.

If anyone from the Rams FO is reading this site, hopefully, they read this. I'm not good at many things, but I get patterns (figures, all my kids are good at math except my eldest, and he is high functioning autistic with crazy good memory recall)

Just sayin'.

Demoff can do all the research he wants. And he should. It's his job. And Payton may not even be available or New Orleans may want a mint to let Payton out of his contract even though that's exactly what they seem to want and what he seems to want.

So, if not Payton, then Kyle Shanahan. Another WCO guy who's a QB whisperer, has seen Dan Quinn, a defensive guy, bring in quality coaches on both sides of the ball and make it work.

But seriously.

After that injury, Drew Brees didn't pass multiple physicals with teams and almost couldn't make a roster and now he's on the verge of passing 5k yards for the fifth time??? Like it's routine?

Goff would look like an entirely different QB. He'd be entirely unrecognizable.

I said before that the perfect offense for Goff would be the EP, especially the Pittsburgh EP, but since the chances of the Rams hiring Todd Haley are remote...and I don't really think he's the best fit... I also said the EXCEPTION to that would be Asshole Face's WCO.

Well, if he's available... let's just say that based on what I've seen the stars are aligning. And we have plenty of room on the personnel front to improve still, which is fine. But having Goff, Gurley, Austin (actually an important piece), Benny Cunningham (also important) and Britt is the beginning of a really solid O. I won't speculate about the OL. I just won't. Too many permutations too early.

But I can really see how it could play out with Asshole Face and the Rams and... it's just wow. And not wow years from now.

It's wow even before the second half of the season.

Put it too you all this way.

If the Rams sign Asshole Face, even BEFORE the draft, I'll be SERVING the Kool Aid, spiked with 100 proof Pollyanna Rum. While I'm banging the drum.

That's how sure I am about this.

See... I'm not always a pessimist... And sometimes a realist can be really optimistic, even...

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He took a very good QB coming off of a severe injury and turned him into a scoring terror in a WCO...which, honestly isn't the easiest thing in a league with LBs that can run and cover (think of how many times we beat the Saints when they overemphasized Graham).

And it wasn't for lack of trying to find the best defensive minds to match with Asshole Face... Then again, he never had this much talent even as undisciplined as they've been playing (they probably were more talented last year with JJ, Fairley, JL and CL)

Point being that I have NO doubt based on how I evaluate things (that whole pattern thing...) that Asshole Face would just CRUSH here.

If anyone from the Rams FO is reading this site, hopefully, they read this. I'm not good at many things, but I get patterns (figures, all my kids are good at math except my eldest, and he is high functioning autistic with crazy good memory recall)

Just sayin'.

Demoff can do all the research he wants. And he should. It's his job. And Payton may not even be available or New Orleans may want a mint to let Payton out of his contract even though that's exactly what they seem to want and what he seems to want.

So, if not Payton, then Kyle Shanahan. Another WCO guy who's a QB whisperer, has seen Dan Quinn, a defensive guy, bring in quality coaches on both sides of the ball and make it work.

But seriously.

After that injury, Drew Brees didn't pass multiple physicals with teams and almost couldn't make a roster and now he's on the verge of passing 5k yards for the fifth time??? Like it's routine?

I said before that the perfect offense for Goff would be the EP, especially the Pittsburgh EP, but since the chances of the Rams hiring Todd Haley are remote...and I don't really think he's the best fit... I also said the EXCEPTION to that would be Asshole Face's WCO.

Well, if he's available... let's just say that based on what I've seen the stars are aligning. And we have plenty of room on the personnel front to improve still, which is fine. But having Goff, Gurley, Austin (actually an important piece), Benny Cunningham (also important) and Britt is the beginning of a really solid O. I won't speculate about the OL. I just won't. Too many permutations too early.

But I can really see how it could play out with Asshole Face and the Rams and... it's just wow. And not wow years from now.

If the Rams sign Asshole Face, even BEFORE the draft, I'll be SERVING the Kool Aid, spiked with 100 proof Pollyanna Rum. While I'm banging the drum.

See... I'm not always a pessimist... And sometimes a realist can be really optimistic, even...
I wouldn't mind Payton I'm just not sure what they would want compensation wise and if we had the ammo to pull it off (draft pick wise )

TexasRam

Legend
What came first the egg or the chicken.

Did brees make Peyton or did Peyton make Brees.

Would Peyton lay an egg in L.A. Or will he chicken out at making the move.

Hmmm. So many tough questions.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Pardon the expression, but I get a football boner thinking about what Asshole Face might do with Tavon Austin ... not to mention what he could do with Goff. When you consider Austin's BEST OC as a pro has been Brian Schottenheimer, you have to consider that as a factor as to why he hasn't lived up to the hype.

And in short, I am 100% with you on the Payton.

Last edited:

Zodi

Hall of Fame

Just sayin'.

But seriously.

Great post, seriously.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The only thing I don't like about the idea of bringing in Peyton, is the idea of having to give-up Draft choices for him!

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
The only thing I don't like about the idea of bringing in Peyton, is the idea of having to give-up Draft choices for him!

Dave, Just get passed (like pulling a band aid quickly)
that thought and think about the next 10years of Goff and Co.