Draft strategy, post Ramsey trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Last draft the Rams chose 4 DBs, likely knowing Ramsey might have to be dealt, along with the FAs the Rams would not be able to retain. In the deal with the dolphins, the Rams not only acquired another 3rd round pick, but a little used TE.

1) this draft/off season is supposedly for rebuilding the offense. In a TE rich draft, shouldn’t the Rams be drafting one even though they just acquired one via trade?
2) the departure of ramsey does create a need at CB, but should it be a top priority? Above Edge or DL? A healthy pass rush can do wonders for a secondary.
3) how often and early do the Rams pick an OL?
4) where do you have RB, Kicker, and QB prioritized in the off season? That is, how do we go about getting them?

Bottom line, you have a 2nd and two 3rds. Those should be impact picks. What are the targets?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
A gadget wide receiver and a running back.

I honestly think we go after ER and OL. I believe the Rams will bring in a vet FA at corner.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
@fanotodd Just posted my post-JR mock draft. Edge first, then needs. Didn't draft TE. Hunter provides in-line TE we've needed. JR trade forces us to use on of the 3rds at CB.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@fanotodd Just posted my post-JR mock draft. Edge first, then needs. Didn't draft TE. Hunter provides in-line TE we've needed. JR trade forces us to use on of the 3rds at CB.

I just looked it over. I love the Edge pick. That’s my #1 guy right now. If the Rams don’t land jms at Center, then tippman is my second choice. I still think the Rams should take advantage of the TE class and grab one with one of their 3rds. This year is for building up the offense. Those young CBs are just gonna have to step up.

Man, that missing 4th round pick just looks bigger and bigger.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I just looked it over. I love the Edge pick. That’s my #1 guy right now. If the Rams don’t land jms at Center, then tippman is my second choice. I still think the Rams should take advantage of the TE class and grab one with one of their 3rds. This year is for building up the offense. Those young CBs are just gonna have to step up.

Man, that missing 4th round pick just looks bigger and bigger.

Yeah, a TE in the fourth would be perfect. LOL...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think CB late plus a cheap vet FA makes sense.

Roll with what we have at safety.

ILB late.

IDL late.

RB will be late.

TE late.

WR late.

That leaves EDGE and OL as the biggest priorities. I think those are probably the first three picks.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I think CB late plus a cheap vet FA makes sense.

Roll with what we have at safety.

ILB late.

IDL late.

RB will be late.

TE late.

WR late.

That leaves EDGE and OL as the biggest priorities. I think those are probably the first three picks.

Agree. Edge and OL are priorities. Because the Rams are saying the offense is the priority this year, TE over CB to round out the first 3 picks.

I would also like to see your prediction of IDL and RB late.
As for WR, I still think our ‘24 first rounder could be that guy.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm hopeful that the team focuses more on just selecting good football players than just trying to fill holes with rookies.

Draft strategy? Snead needs to trade down and acquire more picks in the first 4 rounds.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I'm hopeful that the team focuses more on just selecting good football players than just trying to fill holes with rookies.

Draft strategy? Snead needs to trade down and acquire more picks in the first 4 rounds.

I don’t think it’s so much about filling holes so much as it is about what the draft has to offer, what we need, and what the available talent pool will be when the Rams are up.

This draft is rich in TEs but thin at WR. There are some good Centers coming out and the Rams could use one. There wouldn’t necessarily have to be a “Tavon Austin” type reach to get a solid player at TE and Center.

But to your point, I am one who always says that picking the best player at ANY position is always a good pick. If THAT guy is there (Aaron Donald was drafted when the DL was the strongest unit on the team), grab him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

If you're looking for a draft mock with additional picks in the first 4 rounds, take a peek at post #13 of my mock, ... you may not like the players I do, but you'll get a couple extra draft picks.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Agree. Edge and OL are priorities. Because the Rams are saying the offense is the priority this year, TE over CB to round out the first 3 picks.

I would also like to see your prediction of IDL and RB late.
As for WR, I still think our ‘24 first rounder could be that guy.
Well, in order for us to take a stud WR in next years draft, I think we need to hit on a QB in this years draft. We can't afford a solid vet back up and cant afford to have Wolfy play another down for us. I'm going to keep beating the drum for Jaren Hall filling that hole. I think he's easily the most well rounded QB prospect in this draft outside of the top 3 guys who will be gone in top 5 picks.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Well, in order for us to take a stud WR in next years draft, I think we need to hit on a QB in this years draft. We can't afford a solid vet back up and cant afford to have Wolfy play another down for us. I'm going to keep beating the drum for Jaren Hall filling that hole. I think he's easily the most well rounded QB prospect in this draft outside of the top 3 guys who will be gone in top 5 picks.

Where do you think he would have to be (round/pick) for the Rams to realistically consider drafting him? The Rams DID want this offseason to be about the offense. A back up QB could be in line with that plan.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Snead learned under Dimitroff, who was a need based drafter.

As for trading back, it all depends on who is on the board at 36 and how far they trade back. He played those games with Wagner and lost a legacy type player for two nobodies. I’d rather they just go BPA at 36.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Where do you think he would have to be (round/pick) for the Rams to realistically consider drafting him? The Rams DID want this offseason to be about the offense. A back up QB could be in line with that plan.
I'd say 5th-6th round range. He's an older prospect, has had injuries, and isn't ideal size or he'd be top 100 IMO.