Draft Stock, Ceiling For Blake Bortles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=2137

ncf_a_ucfqb_cr_576x324.jpg

Blake Bortles is one of the fastest-rising prospects in the 2014 NFL draft class. He didn’t even appear in our top 32 rankings until Dec. 4, and by the time we released our first 2014 mock draft on Dec. 18, we had him going No. 3 overall.

Because of his quick emergence as a prospect, Bortles is still relatively unknown, and there are varying opinions on him. But his decision to leave Central Florida early could have a significant impact on this year’s draft. Based on what I’ve studied of him so far, I believe that he has the highest ceiling of all the quarterbacks in the 2014 class (assuming Oregon’s Marcus Mariota returns to school, as he has announced).

Bortles has an impressive set of physical tools. He has very good size, at 6-foot-4 and 228 pounds, and is deceptively mobile for somebody that big. He isn’t Cam Newton, but he reminds me a little bit of a cross between Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco in terms of his ability to extend plays with his legs and deliver throws even when defenders are hanging from his frame. Most importantly, he shows the potential to develop into a quarterback who can beat NFL defenses from inside the pocket, with good arm strength, accuracy and football IQ.

But he’s still a work in progress, which is part of what makes him difficult to project at this point in the process. He can certainly become more consistent with his mechanics as a passer. He has a bit of a three-quarter delivery and has more balls batted down at the line of scrimmage than most QBs his height. And most importantly, he has to improve his decision-making skills; right now, he forces too many throws and he must learn to make quicker, more efficient decisions when working through his progressions (past his first read).

Bortles could have benefited from another season of developing at the college level, and ideally the team that drafts him will not force him onto the field immediately. But the reality is that Bortles is likely to be a first-round pick (remember, there are several NFL teams picking at the top of the draft that need to upgrade the QB position), and first-round picks rarely get time to sit back and learn in today’s NFL.

We’ve only studied four tapes of Bortles so far this season, and there’s a lot of information still to be gathered on him (medical tests, psychological tests, personal interviews, etc.). But for now, we have Bortles ranked as the No. 2 QB prospect behind Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater, at No. 15 overall.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I love this guy and really wish the Rams would draft him. He reminds me of Vince Ferragamo who can run. I hope he ends up in the AFC because IMO this guy is the best QB of this draft class by far!

RFIP

Personally I am very leaery of "one year wonders" especially when it comes to QB's. Bortles, imo, needs a lot more reps/work and if he's thrown in day 1 next year on a bad team (Jax/Oak, etc) it would be a huge set back.

I love this guy and really wish the Rams would draft him. He reminds me of Vince Ferragamo who can run. I hope he ends up in the AFC because IMO this guy is the best QB of this draft class by far!

moklerman

Warner-phile
Personally I am very leaery of "one year wonders" especially when it comes to QB's. Bortles, imo, needs a lot more reps/work and if he's thrown in day 1 next year on a bad team (Jax/Oak, etc) it would be a huge set back.
One year wonder? His 2012 numbers compare quite favorably with his numbers this year. Two very solid years of production. He's relatively new to the position which could be a concern or a reason for optimism. He seems to just keep getting better and I assume his prospects are quite high.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Bortles strikes me as a guy who will be hurt by going to a QB-needy team at the top of the 1st. All the tools in the world, but not quite pro-ready... if he ends up on Oakland or Jacksonville where he has to start on an overall weak team, his growing pains will be epic. He would be the ideal guy to get the Aaron Rodgers treatment - sit for a couple of years behind an established, rock-solid vet QB, ready to take over when it's time.

I hate to say it, but New England would be the ultimate landing place for him. Alternatively, he'd do well behind Peyton for a year, or playing the Colin Kaepernick II role in KC behind Smith.

iced

Bortles strikes me as a guy who will be hurt by going to a QB-needy team at the top of the 1st. All the tools in the world, but not quite pro-ready... if he ends up on Oakland or Jacksonville where he has to start on an overall weak team, his growing pains will be epic. He would be the ideal guy to get the Aaron Rodgers treatment - sit for a couple of years behind an established, rock-solid vet QB, ready to take over when it's time.

I hate to say it, but New England would be the ultimate landing place for him. Alternatively, he'd do well behind Peyton for a year, or playing the Colin Kaepernick II role in KC behind Smith.

lol nm

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

I'm not saying he'll come anywhere close to being drafted by a winning team, I'm just saying I don't like the way circumstance is going to start his career.

iced

I'm not saying he'll come anywhere close to being drafted by a winning team, I'm just saying I don't like the way circumstance is going to start his career.

I actually had to responded to your post with "Denver" but then read you mentioned peyton lol.

actually i think how SF/Carolina do could heavily effect Bortles stock...say if SF or CAR make and/or win the SB...copycat league, scrambling qb's...

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

I actually had to responded to your post with "Denver" but then read you mentioned peyton lol.

actually i think how SF/Carolina do could heavily effect Bortles stock...say if SF or CAR make and/or win the SB...copycat league, scrambling qb's...
Could be, especially considering his size. He's built a lot closer to Newton/Kaepernick than he is to Wilson.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He looks like a more mobile version of Joe Flacco, I like Joe Flacco. Gotta love that big arm. I think he's my favorite QB in this draft behind Bridgewater. Johnny Football is right there, too.