Draft pick brings message of hope to alma mater

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
logoSmall.png

Jason Anderson
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sn ... 8414.story

4f9b1e5c8626d.image.jpg

STOCKTON — There's a tattoo on Trumaine Johnson's right forearm depicting the state of California with a star representing Stockton and, scrawled in cursive lettering, the words: "Never forget where you come from."

Five days after the St. Louis Rams selected him in the third round of the NFL Draft, Johnson looked very much at home Thursday while signing autographs outside Edison High School's Taggart Gymnasium. Flanked by his parents and seated under an arch of balloons, Johnson shook hands, posed for pictures and conveyed a positive message he hopes will resonate with youngsters in the south Stockton community in which he was raised.

"I'm just like these kids," said Johnson, who graduated from Edison in 2008 before becoming a two-time All-American at Montana. "I just had an opportunity and I took advantage of it. If I could tell these kids anything, it would be: Listen to your teachers, listen to the staff and take advantage of your opportunities, whether it's football or school or anything else."

Johnson, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound cornerback, is the fifth Edison graduate in the past 10 years to reach the NFL, joining Chris Henry, Lynell Hamilton, Lavelle Hawkins and Desia Dunn.

"There are a lot of athletes coming out of Stockton," said Johnson, who will return to St. Louis for minicamp next weekend. "It's not just Edison. It's Edison, Franklin, St. Mary's, Lincoln -- it's all of Stockton."

Others former Edison standouts such as Ruben Jackson have gone on to play football in college and other professional leagues such as arenafootball2.

"This is big," Jackson said. "There's a lot of talent in this community -- a lot of talent on the streets that we don't have a hold of -- but this should give kids some belief. It's right in front of you. Go get it."

Edison sophomore Ana Franco said she was inspired by Johnson's success.

"He's coming from the south side and he's making a difference," Franco said. "He's showing us that it doesn't matter where you come from. You can make it."

Rob Brown, a senior cornerback who plans to play football at Modesto Junior College next season, called Johnson a role model.

"Seeing him makes others want to achieve," Brown said.

Edison coaches and teachers looked on proudly, recounting Johnson's early years at Edison and marveling at his ascent to the NFL.

"I always knew he was going to be special," said former Edison basketball coach Ray Harris, who added Johnson to his varsity team when he was a sophomore. "He was always getting to the ball, deflecting balls, batting balls down. He's been doing it forever."

Gabe Leal, a math and history teacher who has coached at Edison in the past, said Johnson's work ethic will lead to a successful NFL career.

"Mark my words, he's going to be a Pro Bowler and he's going to make millions," Leal said. "He's not going to let anybody outwork him."

After posing for a cell phone picture with Johnson, Edison sophomore Calvin Gray exclaimed: "This is going on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, everything."

Gray later explained his excitement.

"Trumaine is like an idol," he said. "He's doing big things to make it to college and the NFL. A lot of kids around here want to be like him someday."

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I have a goooooood feeling that we are going to love this guy. Can't wait to see this team in 2-3 years. Gonna be fierce.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I kind of doubt he starts this season but that is not a knock on him as far as I'm concerned. I do look for him to pick up the game fairly quick and be a force with a season or two under his belt. Hopefully I am wrong though and he is a rookie stud.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Faceplant said:
I have a goooooood feeling that we are going to love this guy. Can't wait to see this team in 2-3 years. Gonna be fierce.

Idk. Seems like a hell of a prospect talent wise, but he is the only one I'm kinda worried about character wise. The whole house party getting tased thing doesn't bother me. He just seems like he's kinda a shit starter from his attitude/character.

Now there's nothing wrong with that as long as he's a good teammate, and can control it on the field. Don't get me wrong I like confidence, I just don't like personal penalties and divas in the locker room.

All that said I'm glad he's on the defensive side of the ball. Our secondary really could cause some fits this year, and years to come. Just hope all these guys can bond, and get along alright. Looking forward to camp.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Username said:
Faceplant said:

Idk. Seems like a hell of a prospect talent wise, but he is the only one I'm kinda worried about character wise. The whole house party getting tased thing doesn't bother me. I just seems like he's kinda a shyte starter from his attitude/character.

Now there's nothing wrong with that as long as he's a good teammate, and can control it on the field. Don't get me wrong I like confidence, I just don't like personal penalties and divas in the locker room.

All that said I'm glad he's on the defensive side of the ball. Our secondary really could cause some fits this year, and years to come. Just hope all these guys can bond, and get along alright. Looking forward to camp.

I hear you, but partying like a rockstar and being a big fish at Montana is a lot different than life in the NFL. Some players refuse to grow up (ala Pac Man), but this kid doesn't strike me as that kind of douche...at least from what I have read about him. I thought the article gave good insight as to who he really is, and I think he will be just fine.