Draft Lab: Top pass catchers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...kiper-todd-mcshay-rank-top-10-wr-te-prospects

Which pass-catchers could wind up going within the first 10 picks?

Todd McShay: I think that Clemson WR Sammy Watkins, Texas A&M WR Mike Evans and North Carolina TE Eric Ebron are all locks to be drafted in the top 17 picks, and my guess is that two of the three could go in the top 12. Even if Watkins, who is one of four elite prospects in this draft, is the only pass-catcher to go in the top eight picks, Evans and Ebron shouldn't last long after that, because the Bills (No. 9), Lions (No. 10) and Giants (No. 12) all have varying needs at receiver or tight end. All three of those guys are big-time playmakers.

Mel Kiper: I'll agree with Todd and say that the only three who seem capable of landing inside the top 10 are Watkins, Evans and Ebron. I can see Ebron dropping, but not far, perhaps to No. 12 overall (Giants). Based on what I see, it would be really tough for fewer than two to go inside the top 10. Buffalo is still lacking a premier talent at wide receiver, and I'm not convinced the addition of Golden Taint in Detroit will keep the Lions out of the mix for Evans or Ebron. I can see Cooks or Beckham pushing the top 10. If Tavon Austin was a top-10 pick last year, Cooks is at least worthy of top-15 discussion this year in a deeper draft. He could be better than Austin.

Which pass-catcher presents the biggest risk in this year's class?[+] Enlarge
Kiper: I'll say Kelvin Benjamin, the big, fast but still raw talent out of Florida State. Benjamin is going to be a big draw based on his frame and athletic ability. He is a full 6-foot-5, checks in at 240 pounds and carries it well. But I think the physical talent outpaces the receiving skills at this point, because Benjamin drops too many passes, lets the ball get into his frame too often and doesn't yet know how to set up and create separation when he's facing good DBs. There's no question the physical talent is there, but he could be overdrafted based on the traits.

McShay: I see the talent with former Oregon tight endColt Lyerla, having given him a second-round grade this offseason based on his 2012 tape and seeing his impressive performance at the combine (a 4.61 40-yard dash at 6-4, 242 pounds, good for third best among TEs, and no tight end posted better vertical or broad jump distances). However, Lyerla has some significant behavioral and emotional issues (leaving the Oregon program at midseason in 2013 and being arrested for cocaine possession weeks later) that just aren't worth dealing with, even for the potential reward his talent promises were he to straighten things out.

Who could provide value to teams in the middle or later rounds?

McShay: I like Clemson WR Martavis Bryant for this one. He has some Justin Hunter qualities to his game, at 6-4, 211 pounds with 4.42 speed and swivel hips. He didn't have a particularly productive college career (just 61 career catches) and was never a good fit in Clemson's offensive system. But he would be a perfect fit for an NFL system like the Ravens, as a big-armed QB like Joe Flacco could maximize Bryant's potential as a vertical route runner. Bryant has elite size and speed.

Kiper: I have a couple. For a middle-round guy, I'll go with Jalen Saunders, a small but savvy and quick receiver from Oklahoma who was productive over the past two seasons and has a good sense of space and how to find cracks in coverage. I can see him working the slot, but he needs to gain a little strength, as he's still listed under 170 pounds. As a deep sleeper, look forJohn Brown, another smaller but extremely fast receiver out of Pittsburg State. Brown posted a 4.34 40-yard dash at the combine, just a hundredth shy of the fastest WR 40 there, run by Cooks.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I can see Cooks or Beckham pushing the top 10. If Tavon Austin was a top-10 pick last year, Cooks is at least worthy of top-15 discussion this year in a deeper draft. He could be better than Austin.

O-RLY.jpg

RamzFanz

Damnit
"I think that Clemson WR Sammy Watkins, Texas A&M WR Mike Evans and North Carolina TE Eric Ebron are all locks to be drafted in the top 17 picks"

See, we take Clowney and still get a top receiver.

Not really. Clowney / Robinson. That's a perfect 1st round.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
"I think that Clemson WR Sammy Watkins, Texas A&M WR Mike Evans and North Carolina TE Eric Ebron are all locks to be drafted in the top 17 picks"

See, we take Clowney and still get a top receiver.

Not really. Clowney / Robinson. That's a perfect 1st round.

We'd have to give up the farm to trade up from 13 to draft Robinson. The Raiders would take him at five. If not, Atlanta at 6. etc...

RamzFanz

Damnit
We'd have to give up the farm to trade up from 13 to draft Robinson. The Raiders would take him at five. If not, Atlanta at 6. etc...

I don't know about the farm. A cow and pig maybe.

Any trade up would be contingent on him being there. If he's not, that sucks, but we have Clowney. That's worth 3 Robinsons.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I don't know about the farm. A cow and pig maybe.

Any trade up would be contingent on him being there. If he's not, that sucks, but we have Clowney. That's worth 3 Robinsons.

I take it you like Clowney. 3 Robinsons' is a lot of beef. ;)

RamzFanz

Damnit
I take it you like Clowney. 3 Robinsons' is a lot of beef. ;)

Clowney is taking the prom queen to the senior prom and nailing her after. Robinson is asking the prom queen, getting turned down, but nailing her OK looking sister after several beers. You see where I'm going?

PhxRam

Clowney is taking the prom queen to the senior prom and nailing her after. Robinson is asking the prom queen, getting turned down, but nailing her OK looking sister after several beers. You see where I'm going?

Yeah but now you are taking triplets. Who cares which one looks OK if you are nailing all three.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

I get it. You're Sean Connery.