Draft delay not good for the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After the draft prepare for the annual and ridiculous "Draft grades" articles and each team claiming they got exactly who they wanted. It's part of both the fun and the tedium of being a fan of an NFL team during the off-season.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
After the draft prepare for the annual and ridiculous "Draft grades" articles and each team claiming they got exactly who they wanted. It's part of both the fun and the tedium of being a fan of an NFL team during the off-season.
A sure fire way to get a bad grade from the "experts"... is not having a first rd pick.

Washington and Indianapolis already have a C- grade.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
A sure fire way to get a bad grade from the "experts"... is not having a first rd pick.

Washington and Indianapolis already have a C- grade.

True and the Rams will get a B+ right off the bat for having two picks in the first round.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Goodell: NFL is thinking about making the draft a 4-day event
By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

Roger-Goodell.marijuana.400.jpg

It sounds like Roger Goodell wouldn't mind adding an extra day to the NFL draft. (USATSI)

While the NFL has not announced when or where it'll hold the 2015 draft, commissioner Roger Goodell told NFL.com that the league will consider making the seven-round draft a four-day event.

The NFL moved this year's draft from April to May because of a scheduling conflict at Radio City Music Hall, but make no mistake: the league certainly doesn't mind taking up another month of the sport's landscape. That could be why the league isn't sure it wants to return to the month of April.

Also, there have been rumblings in the past about moving the draft out of New York and into another NFL-mad city.

(Hell, at this point, why doesn't the league just make the NFL draft a 30-day, 30-city event? It could go on tour every summer, just like DMB.)

As for keeping the draft in May ...

@JeffDarlington

Lovie Smith told me (and Goodell) that he's enjoyed the extra weeks before the draft -- especially as a coach taking over in a new place.

@JeffDarlington

I can't imagine Lovie's opinion is close to unanimous about May draft, but as a coach in a new job, it's more time to get to know roster.
---------------------------
Shut up Lovie! :mad:

Alan

Legend
Less time for newly drafted playerws and UDFAs to learn the playbook before TC. 2 extra weeks after the draft is a positive.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Personally it's not bothering me that it's later there is a lull in action regardless. just makes the absolute nothing lull go quicker. The only thing I find annoying is the doomsayers that are sooo resistant to change. OMG it's the end of the NFL because there draft is a month later. Give me a break sell your garbage elsewhere

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Goodell: NFL is thinking about making the draft a 4-day event
By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

Roger-Goodell.marijuana.400.jpg

It sounds like Roger Goodell wouldn't mind adding an extra day to the NFL draft. (USATSI)

While the NFL has not announced when or where it'll hold the 2015 draft, commissioner Roger Goodell told NFL.com that the league will consider making the seven-round draft a four-day event.

The NFL moved this year's draft from April to May because of a scheduling conflict at Radio City Music Hall, but make no mistake: the league certainly doesn't mind taking up another month of the sport's landscape. That could be why the league isn't sure it wants to return to the month of April.

Also, there have been rumblings in the past about moving the draft out of New York and into another NFL-mad city.

(Hell, at this point, why doesn't the league just make the NFL draft a 30-day, 30-city event? It could go on tour every summer, just like DMB.)

As for keeping the draft in May ...

@JeffDarlington

Lovie Smith told me (and Goodell) that he's enjoyed the extra weeks before the draft -- especially as a coach taking over in a new place.

@JeffDarlington

I can't imagine Lovie's opinion is close to unanimous about May draft, but as a coach in a new job, it's more time to get to know roster.
---------------------------
Shut up Lovie! :mad:
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

I don't like the 3 day draft! F this talk of 4 days.
I miss the old formula where you have to get up early, hung over and get cracked out for an entire day of drafting.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
They're voting on this issue over at PFT.
---------------------------------------------
1. The old way, in late April = 96.04% (6,309 votes)

2. The new way, two weeks later in May= 3.96% (260 votes)

Total Votes: 6,569

Alan

Legend
Prime Time with this:
They're voting on this issue over at PFT.
---------------------------------------------
1. The old way, in late April = 96.04% (6,309 votes)

2. The new way, two weeks later in May= 3.96% (260 votes)

Total Votes: 6,569
Who are those 260 people?
hillbillies-1.gif

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't really mind they when the draft is. It can be in the middle of June for all I care.

What happened is the draft suddenly the last decade has become more and more popular with guys talking about it before the season even ends. This constant talk and overanalzying plus the non stop weekly barrage of mock drafts has really made the hardcore impatient.

For me, tho I follow it, but not as hardcore. I really don't care who they take, as long as that player can contribute. Plus there's the folk that get butthurt "their guys" weren't taken. Is there realliy a point to that?

Anyway...yeah the draft is whatevs to me now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Less time for newly drafted playerws and UDFAs to learn the playbook before TC. 2 extra weeks after the draft is a positive.

This is a pretty big deal to me.

Think about Bailey and Tavon... It took them until mid season to know what was expected of them in the offense.

Same could be said for Stacy not grabbing the starting job right away.

Two less weeks for the rookies is a big friggin deal!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is a pretty big deal to me.

Think about Bailey and Tavon... It took them until mid season to know what was expected of them in the offense.

Same could be said for Stacy not grabbing the starting job right away.

Two less weeks for the rookies is a big friggin deal!
That is probably magnified if you draft underclassmen. Impact less if you go D in this draft? Very interesting.