DR RAM’s Top 10 Most Important Rams Players For 2012

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
DR RAM’s Top 10 Most Important Rams Players For 2012
By: DR RAM
July 12, 2012

Assignment:
T_Bron from www.turfshowtimes.com request from Rams analysts, on who we think are the most important players coming into the 2012 Rams season. Challenge accepted.

DR’s prognosis:

A successful Rams season will depend on these 10 players in order:

#1 - Sam Bradford: He’s the quarterback, the leader, the captain. With a new offense, the third one in three years for Bradford, to learn, Bradford will have to be able to run Brian Shottenheimers offense efficiently, if not spectacularly at times. This is Bradford’s time, and if he doesn’t show up, then Rams fandom tolerance will be at an all time low. Personally, I think fans should cut the QB some slack, because this is not only a new offense, but the roster change is significant, and some rookies will be asked to contribute immediately. Not a blueprint for success, but fans are sick and tired of excuses, even if they are valid, and the fan base is rabid for improvement.

#2 - Rodger Saffold: Saffold has to bounce back from a very sub-par year, and if he doesn’t, the Rams really don’t have a backup plan. That is why Saffold is #2. Rodger doesn’t only have to figure out how not to give up two way goes, but he has to learn how to anchor better. Hopefully, with the addition of a new OL coach, Paul Boudreau, Rodger will figure out his technical issues, as well as his confidence issues. In the numerous autopsies that I performed on the Rams offensive lines last year, one of the big problems for Saffold, was his hesitation when teams lined up in the wide 9. Rodger needs to trust his athleticism to the outside, so that he never gives up the inside. I’ve heard that Saffold has added 10 – 15 pounds of bulk in the offseason, which should help in when being bull rushed.

#3 - Janoris Jenkins: Jenkins will be asked to start immediately, and will probably be asked to be the Rams shutdown corner. That is a tall order for any rookie player, but when you are out on the edge alone, there will be nobody to help him if he struggles.

#4 - Kendall Langford: Langford will be playing in a new position for him. He will be asked to do a combination of things, like helping rookie, Michael Brockers. Langford will be depended upon to upgrade the teams worst overall group last year. Coach Fisher says Langford will be the first player off the bus.

#5 - Isaiah Pead: Pead will have a very important role this year. The Rams have been lacking in game breakers and playmakers, and this guy is both. Pead will also probably be returning punts and kicks which will give the Rams a weapon in those areas. Can you remember when the Rams had a legit return guy? Pead will spell Jackson, and give the Rams another dimension in the passing and running game.

#6 - Robert Quinn: RDE Robert Quinn will have to become a complete end this season. In his limited role last season, he proved to be a threat to the opponents quarterback, but was a bit of a liability in the run game. Quinn will have to become stouter at the line of scrimmage to stay on the field for three downs. Don’t forget Quinn’s affinity to block punts. If he continues to be a special teams stud, he will greatly improve the Rams overall.

#7 - Brian Quick: The rookie 2nd round pick will be depended on early in the season to improve an abysmal receiving core from the previous year. Part of the pressure on this young man is that the Rams traded down and missed out on Justin Blackmon. So far, Quick has impressed, both the QB’s and the coaching staff. Quick is long, strong, and, well, quick in and out of his breaks, which should make him a bona fide red zone target. Quick shows a very nice burst after the catch. Somewhat sharing this spot with him is Chris Givens. Givens is a fairly polished receiver coming out of college. He is a speed demon, and should provide some game breaking ability. Givens should loosen up the zone, and have some impact in the running game, because of his elite speed.

#8 - Michael Hoomanawanui: Yep, that is right, Big Mike. The Rams are simply a better team when he is on the field. Being on the field is the problem though. Hoomanawanui will need to stay healthy, and if he does, he is the best overall tight end the Rams have. If Hoomanawanui and Kendricks are on the field at the same time, they will create matchup nightmares.

#9 - Steven Jackson: He has to make the list, because he is still relevant to the team’s success. Coach Fisher will be relying heavily on Jackson’s ability to carry a heavy load, and to stay healthy. We all just need to hope that for the first time in several years that Jackson will be game ready by the start of the season.

#10 - Steve Smith: In Steve Smith, the Rams have a legitimate wide receiver in a sea of questions. Will DX make the team? Can the rookies have an impact? Will Salas, or Pettis develop into something good? Is Danny Amendola at 100% after his horrific injury? Smith is a bit of a question himself. He seemed to be OK coming off his knee surgery, but he will need to be more than OK, if the Rams other receivers have a problem assimilating to the NFL style of play. Smith can also be a mentor to the young players at his position, which makes him even more important to the Rams.

Honorable mention: Jason Smith; whoever starts at left guard; whoever may have to replace Jason Smith; Trumaine Johnson, who may end up starting at the other corner position; Dunbar and Macintosh at the other linebacker positions, they could finally shore up the linebacking core; and the rookie punter and kicker, Hekker and Zuerlein respectively.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Now lets just cross our fingers and hope they step up. Especially if the rest of the offense can step up, we can see a better Bradford, I think Sam can have a probowl caliber year if the team can help him out a little.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Good assessment DR.

I might swap Smith out and add Dunbar in, but other than that I pretty much agree.

My reasoning behind this is that I think we will play a lot of nickel this year with Dunbar and JL at LB to defend against the evolution of the passing game. Cortland is a great slot cover guy and a willing tackler. Move him into the slot, let Johnson/Fletcher and Jenkins cover on the out side. This will put a lot of pressure on on JL and Dunbar to stop the run. I think JL is up to the test, is Dunbar?

Thats not to say Macintosh wont get serious PT. Especially against the run heavy offenses of SanFran and Seattle. However he was a FA this late for a reason.

Opinions?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I really think Uh-Oh flies under the radar as to how important he is. When that guy is healthy he's a match-up nightmare. He's 6'4" 260lbs and moves pretty damn well. When the Rams can have 2 WR and 2 TE on the field that should be a win personnel wise all year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:
Good assessment DR.

I might swap Smith out and add Dunbar in, but other than that I pretty much agree.

My reasoning behind this is that I think we will play a lot of nickel this year with Dunbar and JL at LB to defend against the evolution of the passing game. Cortland is a great slot cover guy and a willing tackler. Move him into the slot, let Johnson/Fletcher and Jenkins cover on the out side. This will put a lot of pressure on on JL and Dunbar to stop the run. I think JL is up to the test, is Dunbar?

Thats not to say Macintosh wont get serious PT. Especially against the run heavy offenses of SanFran and Seattle. However he was a FA this late for a reason.

Opinions?
I don't disagree with what you are saying. I don't know at this point what our rotation of linebackers will be, so it was hard for me to put any of them in the top 10. We have Mcintosh, Haggan, Hull, and Dunbar competing for a couple spots, and I wouldn't rule Hoffman-Ellis out. I saw him play a lot over the last couple of years, and he is a stud. Josh Hull has been moved to SLB, so the Rams coaches may want to get him in the mix, something that I was begging for last year...

In any case, it is apparent to me, without stepping onto the field yet, that the Rams are infinitely deeper at the position, not only this year, but into the future. I just don't know, until seeing them on the field, who the impact guy will be.

To answer your other question, Haggan might be that other guy in nickel, but who really knows. Good convo though.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Warner4Prez said:
I really think Uh-Oh flies under the radar as to how important he is. When that guy is healthy he's a match-up nightmare. He's 6'4" 260lbs and moves pretty damn well. When the Rams can have 2 WR and 2 TE on the field that should be a win personnel wise all year.
Think both tight ends, Pead coming out of the backfield, and Quick teamed with Givens to stretch the field. Who will be able to cover that if these guys can run the right route and catch the ball?

Every game that I broke down that Hoomanawanui played, it jumped out at me, how much better the Rams were with him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd put Jackson and Quick a bit higher, Jenkins and Pead a bit lower, and replace Steve Smith with Greg Zuerlein (they spent a pick on him, and he will be counted on in a lot of situations). Otherwise, I have no problem with your list.

1. Bradford.

2. Saffold.

3. Quick.

4. Langford.

5. Jackson.

6. Quinn.

7. Jenkins.

8. Hoomanawanui.

9. Pead.

10. Zuerlein.

Honorable mentions: Wells, Finnegan, Brockers, Jason Smith, Harvey Dahl, outside linebackers (Haggan, Hall, Dunbar, McIntosh, and Aaron Brown).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Keep up the comments, I'm sure they are all appreciated. I know that I do.

It's not easy for a rookie receiver to play balls out his first year. Calvin Johnson had about 750 yards and only 4 TD's his rookie year. Andre Johnson had almost 1000 yards, but only 4 TD's. Smith is the only veteran receiver on the team.

Regarding Smith, I think he is a huge insurance policy. I picked Smith, which wasn't an easy choice, but I picked him because he should do a lot behind the scenes, and he could play a huge role if our young players struggle. It's too early to see how things will play out, but I think this was a solid pick up.

P.S. What I hope is that Smith never has to play a down, and Salas, Amendola, Quick, and Givens tear it up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cool write up Doc.

As much as I like Big Mike, I'd have to put Kendricks in his spot there. I really believe that if Kendricks hadn't had some screw-ups early last season, we would have seen much more of him. I think with his added bulk, better conditioning, and lack of rookie jitters, he is going to help Bradford more than possibly anyone else. I think Danny will be Danny but giving Bradford 2 reliable targets on check downs and short/medium passes makes this offense a whole other animal. Say Steve Smith steps up, and now we have speed going down the outside? Ouch! Hurt me! But I really think early ball control type passing could be key.

The other one I would at least put in as an honorable mention is Brockers. Yeah - I know, a rookie DT. The thing I am looking at is that if Brockers can use those long arms, huge frame, and superior vision on running plays to swallow up space, that will play huge dividends along the line AND free up JL. His play could really be a difference maker for virtually every aspect of the defense.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:

It's not easy for a rookie receiver to play balls out his first year. Calvin Johnson had about 750 yards and only 4 TD's his rookie year. Andre Johnson had almost 1000 yards, but only 4 TD's. Smith is the only veteran receiver on the team.

Regarding Smith, I think he is a huge insurance policy. I picked Smith, which wasn't an easy choice, but I picked him because he should do a lot behind the scenes, and he could play a huge role if our young players struggle. It's too early to see how things will play out, but I think this was a solid pick up.

P.S. What I hope is that Smith never has to play a down, and Salas, Amendola, Quick, and Givens tear it up.

Yup, I think you nailed it with Smith, DR. He's potentially extremely important to the wide receiver corp. and should he return anywhere near to his previous form, he will pay great dividends to the offense. So much seems to depend upon the quality of coaching this season. I see a lot of emphasis on correcting deficiencies (especially in the line play) that seemed to be over looked by the previous staff. There are some marvelous young athletes in this group, all they need is sound coaching, reps and a little luck in the "health" area.....simple, right? :?!:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
Cool write up Doc.

As much as I like Big Mike, I'd have to put Kendricks in his spot there. I really believe that if Kendricks hadn't had some screw-ups early last season, we would have seen much more of him. I think with his added bulk, better conditioning, and lack of rookie jitters, he is going to help Bradford more than possibly anyone else. I think Danny will be Danny but giving Bradford 2 reliable targets on check downs and short/medium passes makes this offense a whole other animal. Say Steve Smith steps up, and now we have speed going down the outside? Ouch! Hurt me! But I really think early ball control type passing could be key.

The other one I would at least put in as an honorable mention is Brockers. Yeah - I know, a rookie DT. The thing I am looking at is that if Brockers can use those long arms, huge frame, and superior vision on running plays to swallow up space, that will play huge dividends along the line AND free up JL. His play could really be a difference maker for virtually every aspect of the defense.
He should have been honorably mentioned, my bad, but I don't expect immediate dividends from him, not as much as I do from Langford. I hope he does though. It's hard to pick out just 10 guys, when you need 50 plus players to have a successful season. I know they are all important. It could be an UDFA that goes against Brockers in practice, and makes him better every day.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
ramsince62 said:
DR RAM said:

Yup, I think you nailed it with Smith, DR. He's potentially extremely important to the wide receiver corp. and should he return anywhere near to his previous form, he will pay great dividends to the offense. So much seems to depend upon the quality of coaching this season. I see a lot of emphasis on correcting deficiencies (especially in the line play) that seemed to be over looked by the previous staff. There are some marvelous young athletes in this group, all they need is sound coaching, reps and a little luck in the "health" area.....simple, right? :?!:
Easy peasy, lol.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
It's hard to pick out just 10 guys, when you need 50 plus players to have a successful season.

Damn straight.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
It's hard to pick out just 10 guys, when you need 50 plus players to have a successful season.

Damn straight.
And good coaches, FO folk. and of course, good fans.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
How 'bout Wells, the dude is a good C and I'm assumin gets the chance 2 make line calls. I think he's gonna be huge 4 the season.

Or Stewart, who needs to improve on last year and not plateu (sp).

And Bradley who apparently is alright w/ his torn ACL (was it 2 the same knee or different? I don't remember). If he's in, the top 3 CBs are gonna be beast.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Good thread Doc.

At first glace I'd have to throw Kendricks and Brockers in there. I could argue just solely on their draft status, but I truly believe they'll both have to play well for this teams success.

Kendricks should be utilized well in this offense, and he needs to become a threat in the passing game. We have great competition this year at TE. Lets face it though, Lance has the most talent, and he was drafted accordingly. He needs to fit the bill, and furthermore Sam needs weapons.

Brockers because simply this defense needs to be dominant. If the Rams have any chance of making the playoffs next year imo it will be because of a very, very solid/explosive defense. In fact I believe the whole west will have some of the strongest defenses in the league this year. Him and Langford have to fit the bill as well. I love his demeanor but he better get fuckin mean on game day.

I'm still worried as hell about the offense though. I mean bad. So just off the top of my head not even thinking, my personal list would be...

2. Jason Smith
3. Any WR on the roster
4. Saffold
5. Bradford
6. the right guard
7-10 pick anyone else on offense

They could all be interchanged in any order though. They are all key to each others success.

Oh, #1 btw

1. Brian Schottenheimer. I don't give a shit, this is it hands down. He has a huge task. Let's see what happens.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
How 'bout Wells, the dude is a good C and I'm assumin gets the chance 2 make line calls. I think he's gonna be huge 4 the season.

And Bradley who apparently is alright w/ his torn ACL (was it 2 the same knee or different? I don't remember). If he's in, the top 3 CBs are gonna be beast.

I thought about Wells, but he didn't make my top 10. I think he will make an impact, both on Sam and the young line. I left a lot of very good players off the list. I think they will perform as expected, such as Wells, Long, Laurinaitis, Finnegan, etc. Stewart is an ascending player, and he would have made my list last year. This year Matthew Daniels would be more apt to make it, but I haven't seen him play with the big boys yet. I'm hoping that he will supplant C. Dahl. I was disappointed in Fletch last year, but I didn't like the technique that the DB's were using, hopefully that changes this year.

At first glace I'd have to throw [hil]Kendricks and Brockers[/hil] in there. I could argue just solely on their draft status, but I truly believe they'll both have to play well for this teams success.

Kendricks should be utilized well in this offense, and he needs to become a threat in the passing game. We have great competition this year at TE. Lets face it though, Lance has the most talent, and he was drafted accordingly. He needs to fit the bill, and furthermore Sam needs weapons.

Brockers because simply this defense needs to be dominant. If the Rams have any chance of making the playoffs next year imo it will be because of a very, very solid/explosive defense. In fact I believe the whole west will have some of the strongest defenses in the league this year. Him and Langford have to fit the bill as well. I love his demeanor but he better get fuckin mean on game day.

Can easily make an argument for those two players. I expect Kendricks to play well, and I think Brockers could be better than almost anyone we had over the last few years, but I don't think he has the strength to dominate right now. We'll see.

If I included coaching, 3 coaches would have made the list. Shotty being #1.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
DR RAM said:

I thought about Wells, but he didn't make my top 10. I think he will make an impact, both on Sam and the young line. I left a lot of very good players off the list. I think they will perform as expected, such as Wells, Long, Laurinaitis, Finnegan, etc. Stewart is an ascending player, and he would have made my list last year. This year Matthew Daniels would be more apt to make it, but I haven't seen him play with the big boys yet. I'm hoping that he will supplant C. Dahl. I was disappointed in Fletch last year, but I didn't like the technique that the DB's were using, hopefully that changes this year.

At first glace I'd have to throw [hil]Kendricks and Brockers[/hil] in there. I could argue just solely on their draft status, but I truly believe they'll both have to play well for this teams success.

Can easily make an argument for those two players. I expect Kendricks to play well, and I think Brockers could be better than almost anyone we had over the last few years, but I don't think he has the strength to dominate right now. We'll see.

I'm with Irritable Ram on this IMO a center who can call the protections as well as Wells is like a security blanket for a QB, if you look at how the Colts struggled and Manning was hurried and harried when Saturday was hurt ,and BTW when they lost Wells look WHO GB signed,I think he's as important as the LT just not as noticeable.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thordaddy said:
DR RAM said:

I'm with Irritable Ram on this IMO a center who can call the protections as well as Wells is like a security blanket for a QB, if you look at how the Colts struggled and Manning was hurried and harried when Saturday was hurt ,and BTW when they lost Wells look WHO GB signed,I think he's as important as the LT just not as noticeable.

What is your top 10?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
DR RAM said:
Thordaddy said:
DR RAM said:

What is your top 10?
1.Bradford
2. Wells
because they touch the ball every play
3.Lauranitis
4.Brockers
center control is the key in every sport which also argues for Wells
5.SJ obvious reasons
6.Chris Long
7.Quinn
pass rush in a passing league
8. Finnegan