DR RAM's 2012 Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
DR RAM's 2012 Mock Draft

I have many versions of the draft and they are all based on the first pick, but here you go:

#6 CB Morris Claiborne, LSU. With Kalil, and Blackmon gone, the Rams go with one of the cleaner picks in this draft. Claiborne is clearly the number one corner and adds some returning skills. The Rams still need a third safety, but they tried out numerous players in the secondary last year, and have some talent on the IR. This could make the Rams secondary a real strength this year. Alternate pick: Matt Kalil if he were to drop.

#33 WR Stephen Hill, GT. Rams pick a receiver here to make sure that they get their top choice. Hill is a phenomenal athlete with excellent hands. He blew up the combine and his Pro Day, where he showed his very natural pass catching hands and his surprising route running ability. This is the deep threat that the Rams need. Alternate pick: Mohamed Sanu

#39 DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson. This was a tough choice, because Ta'amu was still on the board, but Thompson's production on the field in 2011 put him over the top. The Rams get their nose tackle, and Thompson is a load who plays with a high motor. He is best at collapsing the pocket by shoving a lineman into the backfield. Alternate pick: Alameda Ta'amu.

#65 OT Bobby Massie, Ole Miss. Very underrated tackle prospect. Needs to gain some strength, but plays with balance and has good size at 6'6" 320lbs. I think he's a steal at this point in the draft. Alternate pick: Lamichael James.

#96 RB Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati. Here's the change of pace back that the Rams have been seeking forever. He can run, catch, block, and return making him a very valuable asset. This gives the Rams another weapon who can play right away. Alternate pick: DT Billy Winn

#171 OLB Demario Davis, Arkansas State, or Terrell Manning N.C. State Both of these guys are 6' 2" about 235 lbs are great athletes who have good production. Both have double digit tackles for loss. I could see either one as a possible starter at the Will.

Rams have two 7th rounders.

Thoughts?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
One's preference. I wouldn't be angry about it (lol). I would just hope Stephen Hill is a beast and not end up like Ramses Barden...a tall guy that runs a fast 40.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
One's preference. I wouldn't be angry about it (lol). I would just hope Stephen Hill is a beast and not end up like Ramses Barden...a tall guy that runs a fast 40.
He's tougher than he looks, he fights for yards like DX does, appears to have better hands, and is a good blocker. I think he got screwed by his system, somewhat like Poe, but that's why he's a second rounder and not in the top 10.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Pretty solid. It'll be interesting to see how every mock posted on this board is going to be wrong once the draft finally rolls around. It just kinda works out that way, doesn't it? :lol:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Pretty solid. It'll be interesting to see how every mock posted on this board is going to be wrong once the draft finally rolls around. It just kinda works out that way, doesn't it? :lol:
Sure does.

I'll probably post an alternate draft closer to the day if I can get a feel on what they are going to do with the first pick.

What happened to the draft countdown? I liked it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
I'm working out the code. It was interfering with something else, so I had to take it down for a few. I should have it back up in a little bit.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
X said:

Yep, more than likely. I'm sure the Rams will shock us and take a TE in the 2nd or somethng :sly:

I could live with this draft Doc. I don't know why I like Ta'amu so much but I'd probably take him as my DT in this draft.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love your draft, man. I'd be really happy if it turned out like that.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Been meaning to ask you, Dr... Who do you think would be better for the Rams, Blackmon or Hill?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
Been meaning to ask you, Dr... Who do you think would be better for the Rams, Blackmon or Hill?
Blackmon is a better receiver hands down, and probably will always be, but based on the receivers on the team, I think you could line Hill up and ask him to take the top off on almost every play, and Hill will get better. I don't think Blackmon can do that. So, based on value, I'd go with a player like Hill in the 2nd or 3rd round. I really think Torrey Smith is a good example of the point I am making.

I don't think that Blackmon is that J. Jones, or A.J. Green type receiver. I see him as an Anquan Boldin, or Kenny Britt, or maybe a Hakeem Nicks, which is great, love to have him, but...

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Sign me up.

Id prefer Ta'amu over Thompson. Thats just personal preference tho.

I dont know a lot about some of the late round prospects, but a couple of guys to watch out for in the 7th round: Tress Way, a pretty good punter, and Jarvis Jones. Both are out of OU so I know a little about them.

Jones played OT as a senior, all along the line before that, but was never 100% due to a knee injury. He could be a nice project player. Has size 6-7 300lb and is athletic for a big guy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thanks X.

I love this Ta'amu kid, I could go either way.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd love Stephen Hill in the 2nd. Not sure if he falls that far though. I'd love to see Snead move up for it though! I think you could grab him at 20 if you give up the next 2nd rounder and the 3rd rounder. I'd be game for that move, thoughts Doc? Or do you value the other two picks more?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Warner4Prez said:
I'd love Stephen Hill in the 2nd. Not sure if he falls that far though. I'd love to see Snead move up for it though! I think you could grab him at 20 if you give up the next 2nd rounder and the 3rd rounder. I'd be game for that move, thoughts Doc? Or do you value the other two picks more?
I think we have too many holes/roster spots to fill to do that, unless you KNOW that he is the bees knees, and how do you really know that from him. A player that I would go back up for wouldn't have as many question marks. His only question mark was production, and it was a system thing, but still.

I would consider trading back up for a top 10 evaluated player that slipped, but not a 2nd rounder that you really want. I hope that makes sense. Any else have thoughts on this?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
DR RAM said:
Warner4Prez said:
I think we have too many holes/roster spots to fill to do that, unless you KNOW that he is the bees knees, and how do you really know that from him. A player that I would go back up for wouldn't have as many question marks. His only question mark was production, and it was a system thing, but still.

I would consider trading back up for a top 10 evaluated player that slipped, but not a 2nd rounder that you really want. I hope that makes sense. Any else have thoughts on this?

I'd value the picks more. This draft is decently deep and quality players can be had all the way to the top of the 3rd I think. With the Rams really needing a WR, DT, OLB, and RB not to mention another OL, they need all those first 5 picks. Of course, in my mind, I'm thinking of rebuilding this team in one year when reality says it's probably going to take another draft or two. Not having researched ahead as to who is coming out next year, I'm limited to having an opinion on the short term. It may well be prudent to get fewer but of higher quality players in this draft with sites set on the next two but my fandom won't let me think like that. Now if we wanted to get a guy in the 5th round and give away our 6th and both 7ths, I'd love that but I think every other team would love that too and that's why you more than likely won't see it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
He's tougher than he looks, he fights for yards like DX does, appears to have better hands, and is a good blocker. I think he got screwed by his system, somewhat like Poe, but that's why he's a second rounder and not in the top 10.

Yeah but screwed by system, "appears" to have better hands...how do we know he really isn't that? I wouldn't mind if he was a potential mid to late 2nd, early 3rd round pick, but w/ the 1st 3 picks we need instant impact players who we (as in Snifer) know they can be instant impact players.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:

Yeah but screwed by system, "appears" to have better hands...how do we know he really isn't that? I wouldn't mind if he was a potential mid to late 2nd, early 3rd round pick, but w/ the 1st 3 picks we need instant impact players who we (as in Snifer) know they can be instant impact players.
Seriously? Nobody knows on any prospect....Nobody KNOWS for sure.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
DR RAM said:
I'm working out the code. It was interfering with something else, so I had to take it down for a few. I should have it back up in a little bit.

It's friggin mesmerizing :lol:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

It's friggin mesmerizing :lol:
X figured it out...the game is on!