Downtown Rams Draft Profile: Penn State WR Chris Godwin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
227364_e0f3c5c97eef486b8b9081f50a6a8d81~mv2_d_2048_1363_s_2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...Rams-Draft-Profile-Penn-State-WR-Chris-Godwin

Our new massive series here at Downtown Rams will give you players that catch our eye. We will bring you bring you draft prospects, see where their fit is with the Rams and of course give you a player comparison.

Who is the 6-foot-1 and 209 pound WR Chris Godwin?
Godwin was a one man army at WR for Penn State. He flashed NFL ability all over the field and at many moments in the season he put the team on his back. Godwin had a blistering performance versus the USC Trojans in the Rose Bowl where he practically took over that game himself until USC came back to win. Godwin exploded onto the scene at the combine posting a 4.42 forty yard dash and conquering all the on-field drills with ease and showing off his natural catching ability.

Strengths
Great speed (ran 4.42 forty time)
One of the strongest WR's in this class (19 bench reps)
Good route runner
NFL receiver size
Willing to fight for every yard after the catch
The most natural hands catcher in the draft
Ability to go up and high point the ball
Shows keen awareness in adjusting to errant passes
Creates great separation that was often times underrated by the accuracy of the QB
Excellent concentration
Has a willingness to block and continue to engage
Shows tremendous ability to improvise and help out his QB
Elevates play in big games
Runs through tacklers like a running back at times
Able to quickly accelerate in and out of breaks

Weaknesses
Needs to be aggressive when blocking; can get too passive at times
He needs to consistently be an improviser; in Rose Bowl he stopped and let the cornerback undercut him for a huge game losing interception
His reckless abandon style of play could cause him to get injured often

How does he fit with the Rams?
Chris Godwin is one of the high rising WR's in this draft. He is coming off a tremendous combine performance where he basically checked all the boxes. As you can see he's a pretty well rounded WR with very few weaknesses. One of them before the combine was to see if his speed and tape matched up. He confirmed it did at Indianapolis. Godwin can start day one for the Los Angeles Rams. I believe he may not be everyone's ideal pick but this kid is clearly going to be a very good WR for a long time. Godwin is one of the more safer receivers in this draft and he comes from Penn State's offense that has shown the ability to develop solid WR's at the next level -- most notably Allen Robinson. Godwin has prototypical NFL receiver size and to go with that he runs in the 4.4's which could make him a deep threat to go with Tavon Austin and Pharoh Cooper. The Rams would sure love to add a player like this that can catch and make plays on the outside especially after being the 32nd ranked offense.

Draft Grade
2nd round

Player Comparison
Pierre Garcon
227364_c55a3294628c419fa9bdc081db842465~mv2_d_3104_2068_s_2.webp

I feel like I have already compared someone to Garcon . . . but he happens already be in the NFL so I am using my Pierre Garcon draft comparison card here for Chris Godwin. Now, Godwin didn't come from division three school like Garcon did but they both measured identically.

(6-1 , 209 lbs)Godwin vs. (6-0 , 209 lbs)Garcon
40 Yard Dash: 4.42 vs. 4.48
Bench Press: 19 reps vs 20 reps
Vertical Jump: 36 inches vs 36.5 inches
Broad Jump: 126 inches vs 125 inches
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.00 vs 4.19

Yeah, it's eerily similar if you think about it. So maybe the Rams don't need to get Garcon after all and they can just draft Mr.Godwin here. Or maybe they should double up on both? Regardless, Godwin looks primed to translate to the next level easily.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
227364_e0f3c5c97eef486b8b9081f50a6a8d81~mv2_d_2048_1363_s_2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...Rams-Draft-Profile-Penn-State-WR-Chris-Godwin

Our new massive series here at Downtown Rams will give you players that catch our eye. We will bring you bring you draft prospects, see where their fit is with the Rams and of course give you a player comparison.

Who is the 6-foot-1 and 209 pound WR Chris Godwin?
Godwin was a one man army at WR for Penn State. He flashed NFL ability all over the field and at many moments in the season he put the team on his back. Godwin had a blistering performance versus the USC Trojans in the Rose Bowl where he practically took over that game himself until USC came back to win. Godwin exploded onto the scene at the combine posting a 4.42 forty yard dash and conquering all the on-field drills with ease and showing off his natural catching ability.

Strengths
Great speed (ran 4.42 forty time)
One of the strongest WR's in this class (19 bench reps)
Good route runner
NFL receiver size
Willing to fight for every yard after the catch
The most natural hands catcher in the draft
Ability to go up and high point the ball
Shows keen awareness in adjusting to errant passes
Creates great separation that was often times underrated by the accuracy of the QB
Excellent concentration
Has a willingness to block and continue to engage
Shows tremendous ability to improvise and help out his QB
Elevates play in big games
Runs through tacklers like a running back at times
Able to quickly accelerate in and out of breaks

Weaknesses
Needs to be aggressive when blocking; can get too passive at times
He needs to consistently be an improviser; in Rose Bowl he stopped and let the cornerback undercut him for a huge game losing interception
His reckless abandon style of play could cause him to get injured often

How does he fit with the Rams?
Chris Godwin is one of the high rising WR's in this draft. He is coming off a tremendous combine performance where he basically checked all the boxes. As you can see he's a pretty well rounded WR with very few weaknesses. One of them before the combine was to see if his speed and tape matched up. He confirmed it did at Indianapolis. Godwin can start day one for the Los Angeles Rams. I believe he may not be everyone's ideal pick but this kid is clearly going to be a very good WR for a long time. Godwin is one of the more safer receivers in this draft and he comes from Penn State's offense that has shown the ability to develop solid WR's at the next level -- most notably Allen Robinson. Godwin has prototypical NFL receiver size and to go with that he runs in the 4.4's which could make him a deep threat to go with Tavon Austin and Pharoh Cooper. The Rams would sure love to add a player like this that can catch and make plays on the outside especially after being the 32nd ranked offense.

Draft Grade
2nd round

Player Comparison
Pierre Garcon
227364_c55a3294628c419fa9bdc081db842465~mv2_d_3104_2068_s_2.webp

I feel like I have already compared someone to Garcon . . . but he happens already be in the NFL so I am using my Pierre Garcon draft comparison card here for Chris Godwin. Now, Godwin didn't come from division three school like Garcon did but they both measured identically.

(6-1 , 209 lbs)Godwin vs. (6-0 , 209 lbs)Garcon
40 Yard Dash: 4.42 vs. 4.48
Bench Press: 19 reps vs 20 reps
Vertical Jump: 36 inches vs 36.5 inches
Broad Jump: 126 inches vs 125 inches
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.00 vs 4.19

Yeah, it's eerily similar if you think about it. So maybe the Rams don't need to get Garcon after all and they can just draft Mr.Godwin here. Or maybe they should double up on both? Regardless, Godwin looks primed to translate to the next level easily.

Great write up! Godwin AND Garcon! What a tough-as-nails surehanded receiving unit that would be.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great write up! Godwin AND Garcon! What a tough-as-nails surehanded receiving unit that would be.
Thank you sir! I absolutely agree. People need to stop and seriously sit down for 20 minutes and watch this guy's tape before they make any brash assumptions. You wouldn't believe the amount people that knock this guy because he's not a giant name. Actually you would... Oh how Draft Twitter has ruined the draft.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Thank you sir! I absolutely agree. People need to stop and seriously sit down for 20 minutes and watch this guy's tape before they make any brash assumptions. You wouldn't believe the amount people that knock this guy because he's not a giant name. Actually you would... Oh how Draft Twitter has ruined the draft.

We might be lucky to nab a couple receivers in the draft. If Godwin is being written off STILL, he could end up 3rd round?

Zay Jones + Godwin + Garcon :D :D :D

okay okay... sorry, I'm getting a little too excited :D

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
We might be lucky to nab a couple receivers in the draft. If Godwin is being written off STILL, he could end up 3rd round?

Zay Jones + Godwin + Garcon :D :D :D

okay okay... sorry, I'm getting a little too excited :D
Good luck stopping those 3 and thats still with Tavon, Pharoh, Higbee and Gurley to boot!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I saw this guy in the Rose Bowl, rip the Trojans a new one...Real smart guy. Tough...

But I don't want a wr in round 2....Again, I'd get a couple of unknowns later...Like Davis from Georgia S., Kenny Goliday from NIU, Chessum from Michigan, or Adeboyejo from Ole Miss.

Also if that TE, Evan Ingram is available @37....do you select him or Goodwin? Or even JuJu, who isn't in Goodwin's class IMO....

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I saw this guy in the Rose Bowl, rip the Trojans a new one...Real smart guy. Tough...

But I don't want a wr in round 2....Again, I'd get a couple of unknowns later...Like Davis from Georgia S., Kenny Goliday from NIU, Chessum from Michigan, or Adeboyejo from Ole Miss.

Also if that TE, Evan Ingram is available @37....do you select him or Goodwin? Or even JuJu, who isn't in Goodwin's class IMO....
Even as a fan of USC I am going Godwin all day. He's my WR3.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

Why though? We've already drafted unknown receivers last year and the verdict is still out. We need a LEGIT receiver that can start on day 1, that would be in the 2nd round.

With how deep the defense is in this draft, we can afford to draft a receiver in the second and fill out our defense with the rest. THAT would still solve a lot of our issues from last year.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
There are a few receivers I like in the 2nd with our pick. But if TJ watt is sitting there I am running to the podium. That's the type of guy that Wade Phillips turns into a hall of fame player.

Could we see a short trade back in the second - try to add a little more draft capital?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Why though? We've already drafted unknown receivers last year and the verdict is still out. We need a LEGIT receiver that can start on day 1,
#1Because I continue to think wrs aren't necessarily our problem. I'd rather strengthen the trenches.
#2. C'mon man....you know what happens with rookie receivers don'cha?

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
#1Because I continue to think wrs aren't necessarily our problem. I'd rather strengthen the trenches.
#2. C'mon man....you know what happens with rookie receivers don'cha?

I do... I also know what Sterling Shepard, Tajae Sharpe, Taylor Gabriel, Michael Thomas all brought to the table last year with a "lesser talented draft pool" ....Which is why I am hopeful.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Godwin I will be "banging the table for" he's an instant impact day one starter.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Godwin I will be "banging the table for" he's an instant impact day one starter.

I'll be seriously depressed if we zag insead of zig... if we draft anyone other than a receiver in the 2nd. Both Snead and McVay hinted that receivers/offense will be a major focus of the draft.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I'll be seriously depressed if we zag insead of zig... if we draft anyone other than a receiver in the 2nd. Both Snead and McVay hinted that receivers/offense will be a major focus of the draft.
Here's my thing. You only need to draft one WR. So draft Godwin. I think the Rams should convert Hemingway to WR and then you sign Garcon. Done. Nothing else to do. Garcon, Godwin, Hemingway, Austin, Cooper, Spruce, Thomas, North, Marquez left to all battle it out in the off-season.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Here's my thing. You only need to draft one WR. So draft Godwin. I think the Rams should convert Hemingway to WR and then you sign Garcon. Done. Nothing else to do. Garcon, Godwin, Hemingway, Austin, Cooper, Spruce, Thomas, North, Marquez left to all battle it out in the off-season.

I think this is a solid receiving unit and I share the same logic. What I might edit is Thomas... I think he beats out Spruce and Spruce/North/Marquez are battling it out. I could be wrong though, they could stick Thomas on Special Teams and keep Spruce in the receiving unit. That would be good.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
MAN!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL! Which 5 on the active roster????
Garcon obviously
Godwin obviously
Hemingway gives you that 6-foot-5 WR (compares very well to Kelvin Benjamin.)
Austin gets one more year to prove it because next year if he didnt pan out we can cut him save 8 million with no dead money
Finally Cooper would be the 5th one
I think they keep six and go with Spruce though
Marquez will be missed on ST
Thomas is gone
North has zero chance

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I think this is a solid receiving unit and I share the same logic. What I might edit is Thomas... I think he beats out Spruce and Spruce/North/Marquez are battling it out. I could be wrong though, they could stick Thomas on Special Teams and keep Spruce in the receiving unit. That would be good.
So you believe in Hemingway as a WR too?

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Good read! I too saw Godwin in the Rose Bowl----he had an excellent game. Was a little surprised by the speed he showed at the combine; he would be a good pick for us. There's only like 13 guys that I like with our 2nd pick, ha ha.
How fast is Hemingway?? Good article Jake!!!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Good read! I too saw Godwin in the Rose Bowl----he had an excellent game. Was a little surprised by the speed he showed at the combine; he would be a good pick for us. There's only like 13 guys that I like with our 2nd pick, ha ha.
How fast is Hemingway?? Good article Jake!!!
Thank you! I love Godwin and Awuzie for our first two picks. Working on a mock now and I'm like a deer in the headlights. So hard to decide.