Downtown Rams Draft Profile: Houston LB Steven Taylor

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Downtown Rams Draft Profile: Houston LB Steven Taylor
227364_d1c8e2d67a464e8183ea1e816d2b9c4c~mv2.webp

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-...n-Rams-Draft-Profile-Houston-LB-Steven-Taylor

Our new massive series here at Downtown Rams will give you players that catch our eye. We will bring you bring you draft prospects, see where their fit is with the Rams and of course give you a player comparison.

Who is the 6-foot-1, 225 pound LB Steven Taylor?
Steven Taylor was one half of the duo that terrorized college football with NFL draft prospect Tyus Bowser. Taylor was a four-year starter at Houston and he has a terror in the backfield. He is looking like an underdog in this draft but you can never have too many pass rushers and Taylor has a nice blend of insticts and quickness that could put him in position to succeed in more than one role.

Strengths
Four-year starter
Production
Shows versatility; played both ILB and OLB
Has impressive timing
Great awareness
Hard working and high motor
Ability to intercept passes
Swiss army knife on defense
Excels in tackling

Weaknesses
Not a great athlete
Lacks burst
Lacks long speed
Lacks the strength to hold the edge

How does he fit with the Rams?
Steven Taylor if you really think about it doesn't fit the Rams 3-4 scheme that they are about to run. However, there are players on the roster right now that don't fit the scheme either. Taylor can be a swiss army knife as a situational pass rusher, cover linebacker and even a possible in the box safety. I would expect Taylor to be like having Ray Ray Armstrong (without the penalties and athleticism) again. Armstrong is actually looking very good in San Francisco as even more than a special teams ace. I think with Steven Taylor he would be the new Rams special teams ace if he went there. There is a disclaimer however, I think the Rams might have a "Steven Taylor" in their 2016 team Rookie of the Year Cory Littleton. Take that how you will but I also think it's important not to count out Taylor, we have seen plenty of non-athletes make a name for themselves. This is a name to watch as someone who could "come out of nowhere" and end up having a real good career.

Draft Grade:
6th round-7th round

Player comparison
Deion Jones
227364_7c4d205889ee48f8a7c9f8cf919076d9~mv2.webp

Steven Taylor has nowhere near the freakish athleticism of Jones, but both were slept on in their drafts because of their "undersized" label. Jones made short work of that finishing in the top three in the Defensive Rookie of the Year voting after an outstanding season. Taylor could have the same impact, again he's not as athletic but makes up for it in other areas.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would expect Taylor to be like having Ray Ray Armstrong (without the penalties and athleticism) again. Armstrong is actually looking very good in San Francisco as even more than a special teams ace.
Never should have released Ray Ray....And he was a "decent" athlete. The reason he was move from safety to LB was partially due to his 4.7 40 time at his pro day...or was it the combine? Whatever.
Tough for guys that are not only undersized but lack elite athleticism to make it in the league. He'd have to play inside LB. Only undersized guys I know on the outside are like Dwight Freeny....speed & power demons.
It seems like U. of Houston has a scheme that really showcases outside blitzers/rushers....Remember Sammy Brown a few years ago? And he looked awesome....on tape.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never should have released Ray Ray....And he was a "decent" athlete. The reason he was move from safety to LB was partially due to his 4.7 40 time at his pro day...or was it the combine? Whatever.
Tough for guys that are not only undersized but lack elite athleticism to make it in the league. He'd have to play inside LB. Only undersized guys I know on the outside are like Dwight Freeny....speed & power demons.
It seems like U. of Houston has a scheme that really showcases outside blitzers/rushers....Remember Sammy Brown a few years ago? And he looked awesome....on tape.
Very good point ...