Downtown Rams Draft Profile: Alabama WR ArDarius Stewart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Downtown Rams Draft Profile: Alabama WR ArDarius Stewart
227364_89a1be1c98264cb486aa64f4c38ada1a~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...ams-Draft-Profile-Alabama-WR-ArDarius-Stewart

Our new massive series here at Downtown Rams will give you players that catch our eye. We will bring you bring you draft prospects, see where their fit is with the Rams and of course give you a player comparison.

Who is the 5-foot-11 and 210 pound WR ArDarius Stewart?
One half of a dynamic duo of WR's at Alabama. Stewart and fellow teammate Calvin Ridley created multiple mismatches at Alabama. Ridley will likely be a first round pick next year based off what he can do and the frame he has. However, Stewart is considered somewhat of a sleeper in this draft. Stewart is like if you combined Tavon Austin and Pharoh Cooper . . . at least that's what I see on tape. He has flashed the ability to go up and make the big play by high pointing the ball even with his 5-foot-11 height. It's safe to say Stewart excels in the ability to create plays and run after the catch.

Strengths
Strong hands that spear the football out of the air
Body control
Good speed
Accelerates well
Ability to pluck the ball at it's highest point
Violent runner
Able to make significant plays after the catch
Good tracking of the deep ball
Makes the spectacular catch look easy
Adjusts well to errant passes; had plenty of practice at that in 2016
Can be used in the backfield or end around's
Slot and outside capability
Can throw the football as more of a swiss army knife player

Weaknesses
Needs more polish in his route running
Not the ideal height for a number one WR
Always trying to take it to the house which may lead to unnecessary maneuvers that may cause him to lose yards
Not a great blocker; needs to work on that aspect of his game to become a starter

How does he fit with the Rams?
ArDarius Stewart might be Tavon Austin on steroids as my dear friend and fellow writer Tevin Broner called him. Stewart doesn't have that elite ability in anything but he's at least solid in every category. I get the feeling when you watch Stewart's tape he's the jack of all trades but master of none. Stewart strikes a comparison for a mixture of players. I finally narrowed it down to one as you can see below. Stewart can come in right away and compete for a starting job instantly. As of right now Stewart would likely start on the outside with Pharoh Cooper and Tavon Austin out of the slot all interchangeable. However, since I believe there will be more wide receiver talent when the draft rolls along Stewart might have to really work for a starting job. I think he personally could have pushed himself into a first round grade had he stayed but he unfortunately needed to come out in order to support his family. It's worth noting Stewart would hands down be the best return man on the Rams roster especially if Benny Cunningham leaves in free agency.

Draft Grade:
3rd round

Player Comparison:
Jarvis Landry
227364_15567d998ba94075bb715bdffc3e9d2f~mv2_d_3942_2520_s_4_2.webp

I had to go back and forth with Tavon Austin, Pharoh Cooper, Jarvis Landry and even Odell Beckham Jr. I don't think Stewart is dynamic in space as OBJ is for the Giants. However, one of my favorite young wide receivers Jarvis Landry happens to be the perfect comparison. What I love first off is the size comparison, both were 5-foot-11 and weighed over 200 pounds. Both actually came out of the SEC, made plays after the catch, were overlooked by many and of course had their fair share of crazy catches. I think the Landry comparison is fair but Stewart is even faster than Landry and he has all the same tools as Landry . . . except blocking. Overall I think Stewart is going to be haunting 31 teams in the NFL as the guy that got away like Landry. Expect him to break himself into the NFL with designed end around's and screens to get him going on offense. But, in year two or maybe even later into his rookie year expect him to be an impact player like Landry has become.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He plays like a tough guy...Like him....wouldn't draft him....
I absolutely love this kid. I think he is going to be like Jarvis Landry as I wrote "the guy who got away". I watched his tape and I also watched the combine religiously yesterday and I got to say he looked great yesterday. The vertical wasn't where I felt it was going to be but in the off field workouts I was floored. He has done a great job and he seems like a hell of a guy just wanting to support his family. Otherwise he would have stayed another year and dominated with Calvin Ridley at Bama.