Doug Marrone opts out of contract, done as Buffalo Bills' coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...--done-as-buffalo-bills--coach-231705211.html

There's always at least one crazy firing in the NFL offseason. Except, Doug Marrone wasn't really fired.

He just opted out.

Marrone is out as Buffalo Bills coach, and that was his choice. According to a statement by the Buffalo Bills just a few hours before the calendar turned to 2015, he opted out of his contract after two years as head coach. Marrone is now a free agent, and can pursue another job. Before Marrone opted out, there were five NFL head-coaching openings. Now there are six.

ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported that Marrone walks away with his 2015 salary of $4 million "without it counting as an offset against any future salary." The out clause in his contract activated if the Bills changed ownership, which happened when Terry Pegula bought the team.

Within minutes, there was speculation that the New York Jets would have a strong interest in Marrone. The Jets' division rivals are unexpectedly looking for a new coach.

"Doug Marrone informed me late today that he has decided to exercise the option clause in his contract and relinquish his responsibilities as our head coach," Pegula said in a statement. "We are disappointed that Coach Marrone will no longer be an important part of our organization. We thank him for all of his hard work and leadership during his tenure and wish him and his family the best with the next chapter in their lives.

"We will now begin the important process of conducting a thorough search for a new head coach as we continue to strive to reach our goal of returning to the playoffs and bringing a championship to Buffalo for our fans."

It's not often you see a coach just leave on his own, and it has to be a tough blow to the ego of the Bills, who haven't been to the playoffs since 1999. Buffalo made strides this season, finishing 9-7 and just out of the playoffs, though the retirement of quarterback Kyle Orton the day after the season ended made the 2015 outlook a little bleaker.

Marrone's time in Buffalo finishes with a 15-17 record over two seasons. Now the Bills have to start over. One would imagine Marrone has his eyes set on another opening. It's tough to believe he walked away from one of 32 NFL headl-coaching jobs without a backup plan in place.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452509/article/doug-marrone-has-opted-out-of-his-contract

Every year, there is one surprising head coaching change. It took a few extra days, but we have a stunner now.

The Bills announced Wednesday that coach Doug Marrone has opted out of his contract. And he could be staying in the AFC East. The Jets are the favorite to land him, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Expect the Jets to show "considerable interest" in Marrone, who likely wouldn't leave a head coaching job without great options. Frank Reich is one name to watch in the Bills coaching search.

"We are disappointed that Coach Marrone will no longer be an important part of our organization. We thank him for all of his hard work and leadership during his tenure and wish him and his family the best with the next chapter in their lives," new Bills owner Terry Pegula said in a statement.

It's a devastating blow for the Bills after their first winning season in a decade. The last coach to have a winning record there, Mike Mularkey, also left the team in mysterious circumstances. Marrone had a three-day opt-out clause in his contract because the team's recent ownership change. Bills team president Russ Brandon has been forced to downplay reports of conflict between Marrone and the front office.

Marrone, according to Rapoport, asked for a contract extension from the new ownership. They declined, and he opted to leave with a financial going away present. Marrone will gets $4 million as part of his opt-out, according to Rapoport.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what I heard, he asked the new ownership for an extension for him and his assistants and they told him no. Was probably worried the new owners would want to go with their own coach so he decided to opt out now when his stock his high to find the right job.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I hope Bowles or Rex jumps on this job with all those studs on defense, don't want these guys in our backyard.

FRO

Legend
This is a shocker, but I can't blame the guy. No QB, no first round pick, new owner.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I wonder if this was totally his move or if there was some pressure to do it. Not that it matters, just wondering.

Hopefully this is just another job that increases the odds that a coordinator from one of our rivals takes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Interesting. I wonder if he wants to get back to college.

His team was playing hard for him. That speaks well of him as a motivator. I don't know why the lack of an extension would worry him. He already has proven himself as a capable coach. Most coaches have an ego, so thinking he won't continue to impress is unlikely.

Maybe he feels his stock will only go down from this year to the next? I don't see why the Jets job would be more alluring. I wouldn't want that crazy pressure.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Business decision. He's banking on making millions on top of the Bills millions he's guaranteed.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Whaaat?:eek:

When you run through coaches yearly, some guys don't wanna be sctrutinized in that manner for another year. This offseason is already crazy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
From what I heard, he asked the new ownership for an extension for him and his assistants and they told him no. Was probably worried the new owners would want to go with their own coach so he decided to opt out now when his stock his high to find the right job.

I have a co-worker/friend who is originally from that area (diehard lifelong fan like we are) and he said he was going to opt out at seasons end. It's very possible that he doesn't like the new owner and was smart enough to put that clause in his contract. His agent deserves a bonus.