Don’t Sleep on the Rams’ Potential Backup QB Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Don’t Sleep on the Rams’ Potential Backup QB Sean Mannion
Posted by: Luke Schnake

http://www.101sports.com/2015/08/13/done-sleep-rams-potential-backup-qb-sean-mannion/

The Rams have a clear-cut and healthy starting quarterback in Nick Foles, but the team knows better than to bank on that being the case through December.

In a league going through a drought at the QB position, the Rams have had to dip into the reserves more than many franchises.

Two of this year’s training camp reserves wore the horns last season in Austin Davis and Case Keenum. The team decided to give itself an additional option by selecting Sean Mannion out of Oregon State in the third round of the 2015 draft.

Standing at 6-foot-6 and coming from a college that ran a pro-style offense, Mannion looks and acts the part of a player with a shot at a decent pro career.

Davis and Keenum have experience running an NFL offense, but coaches have spoken highly of Mannion and his ability to adapt. The rookie says the difference between today and when he arrived for rookie camp is night and day.

“I feel very comfortable. I feel like I’ve done a lot of good things so far in training camp.”

Mannion said. “I’m trying to be accurate, trying to make good decisions with the ball. I feel really comfortable in the offense. The biggest difference is it’s not my first time out here practicing with the guys. We got that over with in OTA’s so we could come out and hit the ground running.”

Rookie quarterbacks that ran pro offenses in college as opposed to the option ideally have an easier time adapting to the NFL. Mannion believes his time at Oregon State running head coach Mike Riley’s offense has been a big help to him in St. Louis.

“I think it’s helped a lot. Obviously there’s another level of detail with everything: protections, run game, passing concepts…all that stuff. But the good part about it is there hasn’t been much that’s been completely foreign to me.” Mannion said.

“Most of these concepts I’ve seen and ran in games in college. I think the general familiarity with formations, motions, protections…Obviously it boils down to different names and another level of detail, but there’s a great deal of familiarity having run this at some point in my college career.”

The jump has also been easier for Mannion in terms of his mechanics.

He knows he has work to do just like any rookie, but being a college pocket passer, Mannion insists he isn’t changing his approach, but sharpening it.

“(Mechanics) are not something I like to overthink. I like to think of it more as refinement than really changing things.” Mannion said. “Over the years I feel like I’ve been able to sharpen up my motion and eliminate wasted movement gradually. At the same time it’s not something I think of in terms of changing. When you’re in a game you don’t want to be thinking about how you’re throwing the ball. You should be thinking about the defense and where to put it.”

With the preseason kicking off Friday in Oakland, the quarterback depth chart will take shape. Mannion is eager for the chance to face opponents.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for me to just go out and show I can operate the offense. It’ll be nice to get into a game situation and a great opportunity for our team.”

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
He looked good for his first time out with the team and he wasn't throwing to the ones either.

RamzFanz

Damnit
He looked good for his first time out with the team and he wasn't throwing to the ones either.

Everyone who sees him says he looks good. I haven't seen or heard any criticism yet. 6'9" and his release is at the top of the arc, pretty cool. There won't be a lot of batted balls for this kid.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I prefer him as the backup QB. My thinking is if you gotta go with a lesser QB option it should be the guy who might have what it takes to start.

Best thing for the Rams would be him winning that backup role.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Everyone who sees him says he looks good. I haven't seen or heard any criticism yet. 6'9" and his release is at the top of the arc, pretty cool. There won't be a lot of batted balls for this kid.
Now THAT would be a tall QB!!

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Yeah, I really liked what I saw from Mannion. Dude has a lot of life on his passes. He looked a lot better than Keenum and Davis, imo.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why do I always put a 9 after a 6?! 6'6"
You and I both know why you do it!!:D:shades:
( for you "kids" out their .. it a number that, proves, or disproves your sexual talents!!:snicker:)

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
They were saying that he is 6' 9" on the telecast. I know that he is tall!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Said it before the draft. The kid has a few mechanical flaws but is a pretty damn good QB. I watched him all through college being that we live about 45 minutes away from the OSU campus and my son went to school there. Mannion had practically no skill players around him last year and what few O-linemen they had were injured. In his four years he had a couple players here and there but nothing like some of the top QBs. Still he set Pac 12 passing records. Think about the QBs that have come out of the Pac and that is really saying something - especially with what he has had at wideout, RB, and TE. He had Cooks for 3 years and Wheaton for 2. I believe through his entire 4 year playing career, those were the only players on offense that went to the NFL.

I'm really pulling for the guy and was jacked when we drafted him just as I was when we drafted SJ.

A55VA6

Legend
I really like Mannion's throwing motion. Real smooth and comes out fast. I like what I see from him so far.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I prefer him as the backup QB. My thinking is if you gotta go with a lesser QB option it should be the guy who might have what it takes to start.

Best thing for the Rams would be him winning that backup role.
Agree.