Don’t sleep on Rams QB Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Don’t sleep on LA Rams QB Jared Goff

The LA Rams did not hesitate to pay their young quarterback Jared Goff. Was that wise? The debate of top NFL quarterbacks happens anytime a quarterback makes headlines. We have the current debate of Patrick Mahomes’ value, now that he is worth over half-a-billion to the NFL. That means that the storylines of Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott will be next, as will Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson.

But LA Rams quarterback Jared Goff is seldom mentioned in any conversation about the NFL’s rising stars at quarterback. That concerns me. It suggests that sports reporting does not hold the objectivity I hoped for. Rather, the narrative is already decided upon, and writers cherry-pick facts to support what they had already decided to say.

Facts tell a different story

What is the problem? A reserved quarterback Goff plays for a charismatic and energetic head coach Sean McVay. When the spotlight shines on the LA Rams offense, all eyes train upon McVay. Still, the quarterback must execute the plays McVay designs, and so far Goff has done exactly that.

A recent article ranking NFC West quarterbacks placed Jared Goff last among the four quarterbacks. Last. This is after a 2019 season where he was the third-ranked quarterback on passing yards playing behind the 31st-ranked offensive line. He was the fourth-ranked quarterback in 2018. He was even the tenth-ranked quarterback in 2017. Compare those rankings to often discussed Dak Prescott, who was ranked second in 2019, 15th in 2018, and 16th in 2017. And yet, Prescott is considered a far better quarterback.

Top performer, worst perception

Since taking over for the Rams, Goff was the top-performing quarterback of the NFC West in 2019, 2018, and was ranked just one spot behind Russell Wilson in 2017. And yet, the same storyline runs over and over. If a poll were taken to rank NFL quarterbacks, Goff would not be rated even among the top 15.

And yet, Goff continues to do things like no other NFL quarterback. The latest statistic provided by Pro Football Focus is another example. Goff made the most number of “big throws” on third and fourth down of any NFL quarterback.

View: https://twitter.com/pff/status/1280638233928511489?s=21

Eventually, either Goff will fall to those low expectations at some late point of his career, and naysayers will be right there to say “I told you so!”. More likely, he will continue to perform as one of the best, and unheralded, NFL quarterbacks.

In the meantime, we hope he continues to do what he does. It may not be enough to change perceptions but should be enough to get the Rams back into the playoffs.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Haters hardest hit.

(Also, always avoid alliteration).

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Jared Goff is the Rams starting QB and this is one Rams Fan that is Very Happy and Very Proud of that fact!!! I personally believe that before his career is over he will own every Rams Passing Record (The Good One’s!) including most Super Bowl Wins!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I just pray this kid has a good line this year not to mention a good run game. I want to see him shut some of the doubters up with a massive statistical season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just pray this kid has a good line this year not to mention a good run game. I want to see him shut some of the doubters up with a massive statistical season.
As long as he Lifts Lots of Lombardis in LA!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Most of the hate is from after that "super" bowl loss, when almost no one on the offense played well. Before that, he was halfway respected.