Donnie Jones signs with Texans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Evan Silva
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nie-jones/

A league source tells Florio that punter Donnie Jones has agreed to a one-year deal with the Houston Texans.

Jones, who turns 32 before the season, spent the last five years punting for the Rams. His 37.0 net average in 2011 was the worst of that tenure, and ranked 31st in the NFL.

The Texans are in search of competition and insurance for Brett Hartmann, who is coming off torn ACL and facing a three-game suspension to open the 2012 season.

Health allowing after the suspension ends, Hartmann shouldn’t struggle to beat out Jones.

:boohoo:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
X said:
Evan Silva

A league source tells Florio that punter Donnie Jones has agreed to a one-year deal with the Houston Texans.

Jones, who turns 32 before the season, spent the last five years punting for the Rams. His 37.0 net average in 2011 was the worst of that tenure, and ranked 31st in the NFL.

The Texans are in search of competition and insurance for Brett Hartmann, who is coming off torn ACL and facing a three-game suspension to open the 2012 season.

Health allowing after the suspension ends, Hartmann shouldn’t struggle to beat out Jones.

Wow... How do you let our pro bowl level punter walk, bad move on us.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Barrison6 said:
X said:
Evan Silva

He kicked a lot of great punt returns, plus too much money. He had a really bad year.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Barrison6 said:
X said:
Evan Silva

He kicked a lot of great punt returns, plus too much money. He had a really bad year.

Yeah. I knew he had a bad year, just from watching. Didnt realized how bad it really was till I saw those stats. wow. One of the highest paid punters in the NFL ranking 31st in the most important stat is not good.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Didn't we already sign a younger punter at half of Jones' salary? Hope he's at least as good.

Edit: Tom Malone - doesn't look like he has ever had a regular season punt in the NFL. Yikes! Oh well, at least 24 will like him - He's a former Trojan. :lmao:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I thought they brought someone in already, but i can't remember who..and old vet if i remember right.

Jones failed to give us the short field...EVER last year, and it really hurt us when we had the opportunity to pin a team down. He just seemed to lose his directional kicking skills. He wasn't great the previous year either, but before that he was golden, IMO.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
I thought they brought someone in already, but i can't remember who..and old vet if i remember right.

Jones failed to give us the short field...EVER last year, and it really hurt us when we had the opportunity to pin a team down. He just seemed to lose his directional kicking skills. He wasn't great the previous year either, but before that he was golden, IMO.

Yeah - maybe we wore out his leg. :evil:

steferfootball

Starter
DR RAM said:

Agreed. He got bad quickly. In 09 he had an Andy Lee-esk season no one cared though cause he plays for the Rams, too bad he deteriorated that quickly.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
DR RAM said:
Barrison6 said:
X said:
Evan Silva

Guess I never looked at the stat-line for punters very often, now that i know this, good riddance.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Aww he's such a nice guy. At lease he went to a team I like to root for.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It seems once Massey left, Jones and Brown went downhill. Brown next?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker said:
Yes. And believe it or not, that phenomenon is commonly referred to as, "The Massey Curse." That's what happens when you release THE best long-snapper in all the league. Only one bad snap in his entire career, and he's cast aside like yesterday's gahhbage. Reap what you sow.

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:
Ramhusker said:
Yes. And believe it or not, that phenomenon is commonly referred to as, "The Massey Curse." That's what happens when you release THE best long-snapper in all the league. Only one bad snap in his entire career, and he's cast aside like yesterday's gahhbage. Reap what you sow.

Eh, I don't see the huge issue. It was due to the cap. Oh well. I could see Jones being cut by the Texans in the preseason just as easily for the Rams to draft or sign an UDFA punter who will average 40+ yards per punt.

superfan24

Starter
RamFan503 said:
Didn't we already sign a younger punter at half of Jones' salary? Hope he's at least as good.

Edit: Tom Malone - doesn't look like he has ever had a regular season punt in the NFL. Yikes! Oh well, at least 24 will like him - He's a former Trojan. :lmao:

I liked Donnie even though he didn't have a good year last season, but he usually seemed to be a pro bowl contender.
Well I'm sure there won't be an Irish punter anytime soon, their punters are absolutely awful lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lesson said:
X said:
Ramhusker said:

Eh, I don't see the huge issue. It was due to the cap. Oh well. I could see Jones being cut by the Texans in the preseason just as easily for the Rams to draft or sign an UDFA punter who will average 40+ yards per punt.
You saw the aftermath of the curse last year, did you not? Only Chris Massey can release the Rams of this plague upon their roster. So you better hope he decides to let bygones be bygones sometime soon. We're sorry, Chris. Please find it within your infinitely caring soul to forgive the sins levied against you.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
I bet Patrick Peterson was a little sad when he found out this news :hehe: :sly: