Donald and Ramsey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
By all accounts, Brandon Staley was the catalyst for the Rams D leading the league in every major category.
This season with Raheem Morris filling Staley's absence, the Rams are expected to have a very good D again, but the best in the league for a second straight season? Not really a popular prediction.

Perhaps it should be. Perhaps the Rams are clearly the best Defense in the league and it should be more obvious to everyone.
Maybe it's because of the loss of Staley, JJ3 and guys like Troy Hill and Morgan Fox. Maybe it's because the Rams under McVay are more widely known as an offensive team...

But what if last years Defense had less to do with Brandon Staley and John Johnson and a whole hell of a lot more to do with Jalen Ramsey and Aaron Donald having their first season together. Maybe Leonard Floyd was the missing link between tying the leagues most disruptive pass rush (AD) to the leagues best pass coverage (JR).

This will be the first time Donald and Ramsey and Floyd and Co will actually have a real offseason together - Maybe that results in even better defense this year? Maybe Darious Williams is the hidden gem that took us over the top last year? Could Robinson offer a big upgrade after his first full year too?

There are lots of people whose performance last season can be rightfully credited for our Defense last year. Ultimately though, it comes down to those two guys in the header, the 2 best players at their position in the NFL and the 2 best defenders in the league. Not since Ray Lewis and Ed Reed has the league seen a defensive duo of a similar comparison in talent and impact. That pairing made so many other players around them into probowlers and fronted the leagues best defense for several seasons. I believe Ramsey and Donald are completely deserving of these comparisons and the highest expectations.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I love our defense J.Johnson was really a difference maker on the back end. Troy hill can be replaced and will be but JJ idk. His range and instincts were and are elite level. I love our safeties but I don’t think none of them offer the range and instincts that JJ did.

I think the key to our safety play hinges on T. Howard’s health!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've had a similar thought. Once we traded for Ramsey, we had the best regular season defense of the Philips era. The first full off season with Ramsey, and I believe McVay was more involved with the defense as well?

Yea I definitely think it's possible that Staley's influence was overrated.

dang

Legend
The NFLs #1 defense was great last year but they weren’t perfect. IMO they had a soft middle that allowed dominant runners/ running teams and TEs to take advantage. I am hopeful Jones helps but probably not until late this year/next year. Still banging the drum for some ILB help in the meantime.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am hopeful. Even if we only have a top 5 to 10 defense but get a big offensive surge we are gonna be fine. Really we are very fortunate in that we might see a top unit in 2 or more phases.

I am crazy positive this season though, drinking kool-aid by the barrel. Think we have a perfect storm coming in 2021.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It been years since the Rams have had a perennial All Pro LB feared throughout the league. Boy I sure would love one of those sooner than later.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was thinking the other day how Mahomes sure has made Andy Reid look smarter. Donald and Ramsey have the same effect.

Earnest Jones might not come out the gate screaming as a rookie, but he’s at a position we could use a jump from 2020.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
McVay's first two years he relied on the experience of Wade Phillips. He didn't have as big a hand in the defense because of his own inexperience. They didn't bring Wade back. McVay picks a first time DC.

At some point during the DC search I read somewhere that McVay wanted to be more involved with the defense. And we all know McVay's a smart cookie. So he shows he's confident enough to pick a first time DC. A part of me thinks Staley's success was due to the genius of Sean McVay. And the talent of Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
About Earnest Jones.

I’ll feel a lot better if/when I start hearing rave reviews from beat reporters and/or coaches about Jones.
Or seeing something in preseason games.

But so far others have been getting all of the attention. Sooooo…

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
About Earnest Jones.

I’ll feel a lot better if/when I start hearing rave reviews from beat reporters and/or coaches about Jones.
Or seeing something in preseason games.

But so far others have been getting all of the attention. Sooooo…

Sometimes it's the rookies with the athletic ability to create the "wow" factor in shorts but once the pads come on and the playbook becomes a bigger deal, who we will hear about is likely to change some.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Great players always make the coaches look better. Coaches can definitely help with scheme. It really is a collaboration.

It’s great to have our franchise working and playing so well, the 90’s have almost faded away completely.

The defense has been able to move forward even with all the changes in the coaching staff. McVay has been able to plug in new guys who want to work with the talent and more talent wants to fill the holes left by guys moving on.

Once we get away from the dead money, we’ll probably see other guys wanting in. I trust Snead to filter through those guys and keep this team young and hungry.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Would've loved to have Staley stay here a few more seasons. I wouldn't expect our defense to go down the tubes, but I wouldn't minimize Staleys defense either. He was the architect. Very football smart, and he pushed conventional boundaries with his scheme last year that most DCs in the league wouldn't try. The way he deployed our safeties and mixed up his coverages made it difficult on just about every QB we faced.

I do expect our D to take at least a small step back, and it is because of the coaches and players we lost. I really liked what JJ3 brought as a safety. Nevertheless I expect our O and special teams to take a step up. Hopefully we can win as many or more games in 2021 if those two other units carry more of the load.