Dog Food

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What kind of dog food do yall use?

Some of you know, I got myself a wonderful Havanese pup a couple months ago. This little guy is my world right now. And I wanna make sure I'm doing it right.

Right now he is eating Purina Pro Plan Puppy Food. It's all he has ever had.
Screenshot_20210727-152937_Chrome.jpg

I just dont know if I can be doing better. I've never had a dog that I cared enough to give him different food. I've always had outside dogs that ate anything you gave them.

I know that Blue Buffalo is good. I believe it's comparable to the Purina Pro Plan. But wasn't sure if I should switch him over.

Any input is appreciated.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What kind of dog food do yall use?

Some of you know, I got myself a wonderful Havanese pup a couple months ago. This little guy is my world right now. And I wanna make sure I'm doing it right.

Right now he is eating Purina Pro Plan Puppy Food. It's all he has ever had.
View attachment 46766

I just dont know if I can be doing better. I've never had a dog that I cared enough to give him different food. I've always had outside dogs that ate anything you gave them.

I know that Blue Buffalo is good. I believe it's comparable to the Purina Pro Plan. But wasn't sure if I should switch him over.

Any input is appreciated.

@Neil039 said the other day he didn’t care for the taste of that one. And, it gave him constipation. He’s a wet food guy all the way. Might want to shoot him a PM….

:biggrin:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Our two dogs like the Purina One chicken and rice. I assume Purina One is better than the regular Purina because it costs almost twice as much. We did try the Blue Buffalo. But they didn't seem to like it as much. We also tried IAMS and again, they didn't care for it. They are pretty finicky eaters. Chihuahuas can be like that. The Purina One seems to be their favorite.

One thing a vet told me once, don't ever feed you dog canned dog food. Once they get used to that its all they want. And it tends to cause them to be overweight and have more dental issues. The only time a dog should have the canned food is if they have a bunch of teeth pulled and its all they can eat. We give our dogs crunchy treats with calcium and bone marrow. They like it and its good for their teeth.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
From the research I've done and advice from some knowledgeable trainers... Fromm is supposed to be #1.

My boy has a sensitive stomach... so I have to make his food myself. But he was on Fromm prior to me figuring out it was better for him to eat a nonprocessed diet.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Neil039 said the other day he didn’t care for the taste of that one. And, it gave him constipation. He’s a wet food guy all the way. Might want to shoot him a PM….

:biggrin:
You send stuff in a private IM and it’s never truly private.

Depends on my mood…do I want McDonalds
95839F06-9F36-45E2-9CA9-46F75411ABC2.jpeg

Or do I want Red Robin

ECC9E24F-1FAD-4B81-975A-199F3F47D932.jpeg

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Purina Pro plan is fine, and both coop's breeder and vet recommend it.
Costco's brand Kirkland is also good, but we went off it because it was grain free.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I use Nutro Small Bites (lamb and rice) for my soon to be 17 year old Australian Cattle Dog. It has kept him fairly healthy over the years, but Father Time is undefeated and is getting ready to call.:bigcry::bigcry:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Fromm is indeed good, so is Nulo, blue buffalo, and yeah, Purina pro plan as well. I used to work for a company that made dog and cat food, very good quality stuff, but expensive. I wont name them because the owner is a fucker, but Nulo, Fromm, Holistic, Wellness, and Orijen were our biggest competitors.

Usually when I'm looking for dog food I look at the ingredient panel. If the first ingredient is fresh meat and then followed by a meat meal of the same type (beef, followed by beef meal, etc) then it's probably pretty good.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Our standard poodles get Merrick limited ingredient (lamb or duck based). Occasional canned food as a treat.

We also give them Himalayan cheese treats. It’s a dry cheese that’s as hard as a bone. They LOVE those!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Usually when I'm looking for dog food I look at the ingredient panel. If the first ingredient is fresh meat and then followed by a meat meal of the same type (beef, followed by beef meal, etc) then it's probably pretty good
That's where I start as well.
The meat ingredient should be followed by a meat meal to supplement the meat, since most pure meat is made up of mostly water.

I also try to stay away from corn, wheat and soy.

Rice, veggies and flaxseed I'm ok with.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
We feed 4health, dry food, from tractor supply in the morning. At night feed turkey or chicken dinner we make ourselves.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Think I may switch to the Fromm after reading up on them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
NutriSource is a high quality dog food. We fed our Aussies that for several years. Then I read up a bunch about Blue Seal. It’s cheaper and got equally good four star reviews. I got some and my Diesel, who is a pickier eater, loved it. The bass grain is mostly corn. It’s a little controversial with arguments for and against on the grain choice but he seems happier with it.