Does Sean McVay Have a Playbook?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Serious question, although perhaps silly... I just don't know the answer...

Does McVay have a playbook to distribute? Does he have to build it? If so, how? Takes plays from Washington? Terminology?

I mean... I don't think he's bringing a copy of the Redskins playbook with him. So how does he do it?

:thinking:

Ram65

Legend
Serious question, although perhaps silly... I just don't know the answer...

Does McVay have a playbook to distribute? Does he have to build it? If so, how? Takes plays from Washington? Terminology?

I mean... I don't think he's bringing a copy of the Redskins playbook with him. So how does he do it?

:thinking:

Very interesting question CGI. I'm going take a guess.

I imagine he has some kind of master playbook. He took parts of that book to create a Redskins playbook that was shaped to suite the Skins players skills. So I guess he would do something similar with the Rams. I imagine it is an on going process. I read he runs his version of the west coast offensive. He went more passing do to the Skins players. I'm sure it will have similarities to the Skins playbook but, will be the Rams playbook. Will he try to keep the play terminology the same or have Goff learn new play calling terminology?

Last edited:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he will have base playbook .. from base sets run pays passing plays and I think he'll expand on it once he sees what our guys can can't do remove some plays add others it'll be some tweaking here and there

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IDK, But every coach I have ever heard of tends to create his own personal playbook as he goes from team to team. McVay started in Tampa Bay, although he was probably around his Grand-Dad's 49ers once in a while!!;)

JRobinson

MiLB
Truth be told, I believe that he will build it based upon the skill sets and talents of the players as he advocated in his pressers. Its been easy to notice what his points of emphases are: "Believing the process; being fundamentally sound and disciplined; finding and emphasizing the strengths of the players...".

This is how he will build his playbook. Whatever he thinks will makes his team successful, will be how he dictates schemes and play calling IMO

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Truth be told, I believe that he will build it based upon the skill sets and talents of the players as he advocated in his pressers. Its been easy to notice what his points of emphases are: "Believing the process; being fundamentally sound and disciplined; finding and emphasizing the strengths of the players...".

This is how he will build his playbook. Whatever he thinks will makes his team successful, will be how he dictates schemes and play calling IMO

Yes, but he will also pursue FAs and draftees to enable him to run his full playbook, to have the depth of options he knows are necessary.

So I'd guess he'll run the Jay Gruden offense, whose hallmarks are a power run game, heavy play action, and extremely consistent route running. When Gruden came aboard he had Sean install all his stuff so they wouldn't need to mess with any terminology nuances. The past two years Sean has been immersed in that, so I think he'll favor Jay's stuff with his initial install.

If you want to see what it looks like, queue up the Redskins' tape. That's gonna be very close to what we'll see, hopefully.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...posing-coaches-describe-a-jay-gruden-offense/

Jay Gruden’s offense, as described by coaches who’ve faced him often

By Mike Jones March 28, 2014
Washington’s offense will look in Year 1 of the Jay Gruden era remains a mystery, even to Gruden.

We know the playbook will feature some familiar elements, because the team retained Chris Foerster as offensive line coach, and promoted tight ends coach Sean McVay to offensive coordinator.

Things have yet to completely take shape, however, because as mentioned in this morning’s post on Gruden, Robert Griffin III and the offense, a fair amount of experimentation lies ahead.

But there are some trademarks to a Jay Gruden offense, according to coaches that in the past three seasons faced him regularly as AFC North opponents. Precision, strong fundamentals and quarterback-friendly schemes rank among them.

“First off, Jay’s an excellent coach,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said this week in Orlando. “It’s a West Coast offense. I think the Grudens have their own patent on their own version of the West Coast offense because they built it so well. But it’s based on running the ball effectively. They’re very physical up front, and three-step, controlled passing. The ball comes out quickly and it’s really hard to get to the quarterback. It’s based on probably a quick read and the ball’s out quick.

“It’s a lot of the classic West Coast principles,” Harbaugh continued. “And the thing that always strikes me, that I was always impressed with what Jay did in Cincinnati was the fundamentals were so well executed. I mean, they’re really fundamentally sound. You watch them in pregame and every one of their nine-routes is caught 42 yards, 4 yards from the sideline, which is kind of the textbook way of teaching that route. Every single guy caught the ball at that spot, so to me, that’s the sign of a good coach.”

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin agreed with Harbaugh’s assessment.

“I’m not going to speak specifically to his offense because I don’t know what he intends to do in D.C.,” Tomlin said. “But in Cincinnati, he utilized his personnel well. He’s a thoughtful guy, he keeps you off balance. He’s a good, fundamental football coach.”

Part of what makes Gruden an effective offensive coach, his peers say, is the way he views the game, and that is as a quarterback would.

“Jay sees the offense through the eyes of the quarterback, and having played the position, he has a great deal of respect for the position,” said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, Gruden’s boss for three seasons. “He’ll say these guys are the luckiest guys because he would’ve given his right arm – left arm, I guess – to have the opportunity to be an NFL quarterback. So, he really is conscientious of that. He really has things unfold through the eyes of the quarterback. When you are playing that position, you are able to have the quarterback grow that way, as opposed to someone coming in and saying, ‘We’re going to do all this today,’ and you know that’s more than anybody can handle because it doesn’t stack together that way. You have to build through it, and he’s able to build through the quarterback position.”

While Washington’s offense figures to have some differences from those Gruden ran in Cincinnati, he did say that a lot of things will remain the same.

“We have a base philosophy on offense: Trying to get everybody involved, short passing game, receivers doing a lot of the work after the catch, the good hard, play-action, taking some shots down the field, being very diverse in what we do,” Gruden said.

“But all that depends on what Robert can handle,” Gruden added. “If he can’t handle the terminology, or if he can’t handle a lot of the things, we might have to taper it back or cater to what he likes. If he’s not comfortable with the read-option as much, then we won’t run the read-option. But it’s just trying to get to know each other. I implement a system and we start from the very beginning and we go from there, and we branch off from there, moving forward, either adding more things or figuring out what he likes or what he’s good at. It’s fun.”

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I believe McVay, like all HC's/OC's/DC's, have a base philosophy they adhere to. Once they know what their players are best capable of, where their strengths and weaknesses are, he'll design a program around these players for them to succeed in the system. jmo.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I am sure he is devising a baseline planbook right now, sure the playbook will come out later.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
although he was probably around his Grand-Dad's 49ers once in a while
Yes but let's not hold that against him. It's annoying that name-dropping Bay Area Whiner-lovers like Peter King and Mike Silver will insert it everywhere they can, but heck even I am able to forgive Whiner stank two generations removed. So I'm giving McVay a clean slate on this.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm just not sure there is really an original play at this point. I think it is more how you put them together to fit your players, the timing you incorporate, the tempo you are able to dictate, etc.

Does he have his own playbook? I have to think he has a plan that he believes will work and most of it is comprised of pices of everyone else's playbooks.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I imagine he's built a base one, and it incorporates a lot of the Gruden concepts as well as the Shanahan ones he has learned. He's a very interesting mix in that aspect.

Then I imagine as he watches film and talks to Goff and sees what our players can run, what Goff likes and doesn't like, it'll further evolve.