Does O.J. Simpson have CTE?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14677428/dr-bennet-omalu-bet-my-medical-license-oj-simpson-cte

Dr. Bennet Omalu 'would bet my medical license' that O.J. Simpson has CTE
ESPN.com news services

Dr. Bennet Omalu, the renowned neuropathologist whose discovery of chronic traumatic encephalopathy in football players inspired the movie "Concussion," is willing to "bet [his] medical license" that O.J. Simpson is suffering from the disease.

"O.J. Simpson is more likely than not to suffer from CTE," Omalu told ABC News earlier this week. "I would bet my medical license on it."

CTE is believed to be caused by repeated blows to the head. It has been found mostly in athletes who play contact sports, such as football. Multiple NFL players -- including Frank Gifford and Junior Seau -- have been diagnosed with CTE after their deaths.

Omalu has not examined Simpson personally, and CTE can only be diagnosed after death via an examination of brain tissue, but he told ABC News that he can identify the tell-tale signs of CTE's behavioral symptoms, which he said include explosive, impulsive behavior, impaired judgment, criminality and even mood disorders.

The strongest evidence that Simpson may have CTE, Omalu said, is that "he was exposed to thousands of blunt force trauma of his brain" during his playing career.

Simpson, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985, played in the NFL for 11 seasons with the Buffalo Bills, where he won the 1973 NFL MVP after becoming the first running back to gain 2,000 yards in a season, and the San Francisco 49ers. He also won the Heisman Trophy at USC.

i

Dr. Bennet Omalu says O.J. Simpson "was exposed to thousands of blunt force trauma of his brain" during his NFL and college playing career and "is more likely than not to suffer from CTE." Ethan Miller/Getty Images

One of the most famous running backs in football history, Simpson became infamous after he was charged with the murder of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ron Goldman.

Though he was found not guilty in the much-disputed 1995 criminal case, Simpson lost a wrongful death civil suit brought against him by the families of Goldman and his ex-wife, and he was ordered to pay $33.5 million in damages.

In September 2007, Simpson was arrested in Las Vegas for armed robbery after attempting to steal sports memorabilia that he said belonged to him. The following year -- 13 years to the day after being acquitted in his criminal trial -- he was found guilty of robbery and kidnapping and sentenced to up to 33 years in prison.

Simpson himself once used concussions as part of a legal strategy after his conviction in the armed robbery case, but he was denied a new trial.

While Omalu stressed that CTE does not cause the criminal behavior that led to Simpson's incarceration, he wants the case to serve a reminder of the life-altering damage that can result from playing football.

"I think because of our intoxication with football, we are in some type of delusional denial," Omalu said. "But that is how serious this is."

Norman Pardo, Simpson's former business manager who has visited Simpson in prison, concurs.

"Everybody who knows him knows there's a problem there," Pardo told People magazine earlier this week. "There's something wrong with his head and there has been for a long time."

Another indicator for Omalu is the size of Simpson's head. Dave Hojnowski, who was a longtime Bills equipment manager, told NFL.com in 2011 that Simpson had "a big huge head" and had to wear a custom-sized 8¼ helmet as manufacturers during that time didn't make anything over 7¾.

"If you have a bigger head that means your head is heavier," Omalu told People. "That means the momentum of your impact would be bigger. It's basic physics."

ABC News contributed to this report.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...uld-bet-his-medical-license-that-o-j-has-cte/

Omalu would bet his medical license that O.J. has CTE
Posted by Mike Florio on January 30, 2016

zz1kowy1mda4ogzmnjixnjy4ndkxmjcyndy1mtnlm2jiyg-e1454209938392.jpeg
AP

From an awkward intersection in the entertainment world, with the Concussion film ending its theatrical run and heading toward an expected April DVD release and an FX series on the O.J. Simpson murder case set to debut this week, comes a Bill Frist-style effort in armchair diagnosis: Dr. Bennet Omalu tells ABC News he would bet his medical license that O.J. Simpson has Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.

Actually, it’s a fairly safe bet, given that Simpson played high school, college, and professional football years before the fairly recent sensitivity to CTE — and given that so many former pro football players from every era have been diagnosed with it upon their passing.

But here’s the reality. As a matter of medical science, no one knows yet what it means to have CTE. While it’s obviously better to not have it, the notion that having it automatically means the player is destined to live a shorter life and/or suffer cognitive issues during it has not yet been established.

Omalu deserves credit for discovering CTE, and for forcing the NFL to take the issue of head trauma more seriously. But with so many members of the general public not versed in the nuances of the disease (and with the medical community perhaps decades from connecting the disease and degrees of it to specific symptoms and behavior), it’s risky to throw out as speculation the three-letter diagnosis, especially when it comes to the most notorious two-initial athlete of our time.

Apart from the possibility that some will suggest that CTE in some way explains or excuses Simpson’s behavior (and, yes, in the eyes of the California civil justice system he killed two people), linking CTE to someone like Simpson has a potentially stigmatizing effect on other former NFL players. Already, many former players obsess over the possibilities that their brains are ticking time bombs. Eventually, people who interact with former pro football players will start thinking that, too.

This isn’t about the debate raging between the War on Football crowd and those who genuinely would like to see it diminish. This is about ensuring that proper care is taken to prevent the average person from thinking that CTE potentially turns former football players into sociopaths — and from likewise thinking that every former football player must have CTE.
----------
Your final paragraph is ridiculous. Dr. Omalu isn’t pretending to say either of those things. He’s simple providing the first, reasonable explanation of how this beloved, rational and high-professional sports figure/media personality could suddenly turn into a maniacal double-murderer. And, you have to admit, his theory makes a lot of sense.
----------
Lots of guys have CTE. They still don’t decapitate their ex wives.

Then again, OJ was found not guilty of that crime.
---------
So, CTE initially causes people to become irrational and beat the wife e.g. OJ. Then as it progresses he beats the wife more and more. Then after she divorces him CTE takes over his personality causing him to cut off his ex-wife’s head and stab to death an innocent guy who happens to be bringing her the sunglasses she left in the restaurant he works in.

That makes him totally unaccountable for any violent actions he commits. All contact sports athletes can commit any violence and they are not responsible because CTE is the culprit.

Makes compete sense to me.
---------
.lets just crack open his head now to confirm……
---------
Many people who have never touched a football or bumped their heads on anything committed crimes of passion in the heat of the moment. Also, OJ is a killer in more than just the eyes of the California civil system, he committed a double murder in the eyes of anybody who isn’t blind.this would be more of an explanation of why he may have stolen his memorabilia.
----------
“Hey, I have CTE too”

Aaron Hernandez
----------
This is a very ridiculous situation. Dr. Omalu, although passionate and well informed in this arena, is being completely unprofessional by “betting his license.” He is unable to do so, and when push comes to shove, would never do so. By him saying this, it somehow gives full credibility and more weight to his arguments, which now attempt to abscond OJ from his actions. It is absurd to allow CTE be the reason that players and ex players do stupid things.

The only thing that should come from CTE is to force the NFL to give lifelong pensions and medical care to ex players…other than that, case closed. If someone has CTE and kills themself, oh well, it was their choice to play professional football. If someone dies on the field of play or as a result, oh well, it was their choice to play football. The only thing they should get is lifelong coverage for having put themselves in harms way.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
tell-tale signs of CTE's behavioral symptoms, which he said include explosive, impulsive behavior, impaired judgment, criminality and even mood disorders.

Damn! I think I have CTE.

:sneaky:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So how do we take him up on this bet? If he loses, will he STFU already?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Great news. Now he can admit he killed two people and played the race card.

He is a victim in all this, set up by the evil NFL to do what he did. Not a murderer...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-testing-knife-found-at-o-j-simpsons-estate/

Report: Police are testing knife found at O.J. Simpson’s estate
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2016

zz01zmjkndy3mdmyowfhngqymjqyy2q1ywywnwq1nwe5zg-e1457108800743.jpeg
AP

With the O.J. Simpson case being revisited through an over-the-top FX series that is still be recorded by my DVR but hasn’t watched in weeks, it’s no surprise that someone, somewhere has found a way to nudge an ice-cold case forward.

Via TMZ, a “top secret” investigation has commenced regarding a knife that was found at some point between 1998 and “several years ago” on the site of Simpson’s Brentwood estate.

According to the report, the knife was discovered by a construction worker, who delivered the knife to a police officer who happened to be out on the street near the property. The police officer, who worked in the traffic division, kept it for years. In January, the now-retired officer contacted a friend in the homicide division and asked for the “departmental record” number for the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, so that the number could be engraved on a frame that was holding the knife.

The police demanded that the knife be surrendered, and it’s currently being tested for hair and fingerprints. Next week, it will be tested for DNA evidence and other biological material.

If the evidence points to O.J. Simpson, it won’t matter. He was acquitted more than 20 years ago, and he can’t be tried again for murder.

While he didn’t testify in the criminal trial, Simpson testified in the civil case that was filed against him, and he denied committed murder under oath. So, in theory, he could be prosecuted for perjury, if the knife points conclusively to proof of guilt.

A perjury prosecution would be complicated by the statute of limitations in California (three years), which prosecutors possibly would try to circumvent by arguing that the evidence only recently became available. Simpson surely would respond by arguing that the police were on notice of the knife more than three years ago, wiping out any potential claim that the clock started in January 2016.

Besides, Simpson eventually received his comeuppance via a prosecution in Las Vegas arising from efforts by Simpson to recover memorabilia that he apparently was trying to sell in a way that escaped the reach of a multi-million-dollar civil verdict. Dredging up the case in the hopes of tacking a few years onto his current sentence of nine to 33 years arguably would be a waste of resources.

None of it matters until the knife is fully tested. Ultimately, it could simply provide another item of proof for further deliberation by the jury of the court of public opinion.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I happen to think he's POS, so a more appropriate question for me would be: Do I give a fuck whether or not he does...The answer is probably pretty obvious...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
When it comes to O.J. Simpson, personally ....

IDGAF.gif
He can rot in jail for the rest of his life, I couldn't care less!!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
He does have CTE. Complete Total Entitlement.

He is a non-repentant murderer. Smells like rotten Juice.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/health/brandi-chastain-donate-brain-cte/index.html
"A 2013 study found that players who frequently headed the ball had brain abnormalities similar to people who suffered from concussions. The study found that soccer players headed the ball six to 12 times per game, while the ball was traveling 50 mph or faster. Players likely headed the ball 30 or more times during every practice.
Heading is responsible for nearly a third of all concussions reported in youth soccer, and female athletes may be more at risk. A 2015 analysis of 100 U.S. high schools found that girls were more than 1.5 times more likely than boys to experience a concussion"

Who's up next??

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He might. But so what? Is there some study I can read that links psychopathic behavior to CTE?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He might. But so what? Is there some study I can read that links psychopathic behavior to CTE?

If by psychopathic behavior you mean outbursts of violence, then yes. Btw I think I may have developed CTE from scanning through this article. Also even if this knife is linked to the killings and DNA is found from the victims and OJ, he cannot be tried again based on double jeopardy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2945234/

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy in Athletes: Progressive Tauopathy following Repetitive Head Injury

The symptoms of CTE are insidious, first manifest by deteriorations in attention, concentration, and memory, as well as disorientation and confusion, and occasionally accompanied by dizziness and headaches. With progressive deterioration, additional symptoms, such as lack of insight, poor judgment, and overt dementia, become manifest.
Severe cases are accompanied by a progressive slowing of muscular movements, a staggered, propulsive gait, masked facies, impeded speech, tremors, vertigo, and deafness..

Corsellis, Bruton, and Freeman-Browne described 3 stages of clinical deterioration as follows: The first stage is characterized by affective disturbances and psychotic symptoms. Social instability, erratic behavior, memory loss, and initial symptoms of Parkinson disease appear during the second stage. The third stage consists of general cognitive dysfunction progressing to dementia and is often accompanied by full-blown Parkinsonism, as well as speech and gait abnormalities.

Other symptoms include dysarthria, dysphagia, and ocular abnormalities, such as ptosis (29). The severity of the disorder appears to correlate with the length of time engaged in the sport and the number of traumatic injuries, although whether a single traumatic brain injury can trigger the onset of CTE remains a matter of speculation.

Common presenting symptoms included memory loss, irritability, outbursts of aggressive or violent behavior, confusion, speech abnormalities, cognitive decline, gait abnormalities, unsteadiness, headaches, slurred speech and Parkinsonism.

Five football players, including our Case 1, had neuropathologically verified CTE at autopsy. All died suddenly in middle age (age at death, range 36–50 years, M = 44.0 years, SD = 5.0) and were younger at the time of death compared to boxers with CTE (boxers age at death, range: 23–91 years, M = 60.0 years, SD = 15.2). The duration of symptomatic illness was also shorter in the football players (range 3–10 years, M = 6.0 years, SD = 2.9) compared to the boxers (range 5–46 years, M = 20.6 years, SD = 12.3).

All 5 football players played similar positions: 3 were offensive lineman, one was a defensive lineman and the other was a linebacker. In the football players, the most common symptoms were mood disorder (mainly depression), memory loss, paranoia, and poor insight or judgment (each found in 80%), outbursts of anger or aggression, irritability, and apathy (each found in 60%), confusion, reduced concentration, agitation, or hyperreligiosity (each found in 40%).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Common presenting symptoms included memory loss, irritability, outbursts of aggressive or violent behavior, confusion, speech abnormalities, cognitive decline, gait abnormalities, unsteadiness, headaches, slurred speech and Parkinsonism.
K, thanks. But here's my question. Did he have any of those violent outbursts with anyone other than Nicole before the murder or after?
I haven't read anything about that.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am generally sympathetic to mental illness - but if he has something that makes him extremely dangerous to others (and nearly beheading two people qualifies) and it is not curable, then he should be put down humanely like a mad dog.

I suspect if that were the likely result OJ would be denying CTE rather vigorously.