Does Brady SUSPENSION put AFC East up for grabs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eric-decker-says-tom-bradys-suspension-puts-afc-east-up-for-grabs/

Tom Brady became the starting quarterback of the New England Patriotsback in 2001. He took over for an injured Drew Bledsoe and the rest is (literally) NFL history. In the ensuing 15 seasons, the Patriots have won the AFC East 13 times. They've also won the division each of the last seven years.

The last time the Pats didn't finish the regular season atop the AFC East was in 2008, when Brady tore his ACL in Week 1 and didn't play the rest of the year. In every season where Brady has played all 16 games, there's only been one time where the Pats didn't win the division: back in 2002, when the New York Jets took it down.

Jets wide receiver Eric Decker is convinced that this year could see the team rise to the top yet again. Why? Because of Brady's four-game suspension.

"I think we're there, to be honest," Decker said on NFL Network this week, per the New York Daily News. "We're set up with a tough schedule ... a playoff team's schedule. You got to win your division games. With Brady being suspended four games, I think it makes that division up for grabs. I believe in this team that we're ready to make the run now."

Decker's right about that tougher schedule. The AFC East last season was matched up in the rotation with the NFC East and AFC South (also known as the two worst divisions in football), and the Jets finished 2014 in last place in the division, so they played a schedule with a collective winning percentage of 0.441 in 2015. Next season sees the AFC East matched up with the much stronger AFC North and NFC West, and the Jets finished 2015 in second place in the division, so they have a schedule with a collective winning percentage of 0.531 -- that's basically the equivalent of playing a team 1.5 wins per season better than they faced last year every single week.

The Jets are also not lucky enough to be one of the teams that plays New England within the first four weeks while Brady is serving his suspension (if it's upheld on appeal after the previous reversal). Instead, they open with five playoff teams in the first six weeks of the season and later get Brady in Week 12 and Week 16.

It's also likely that the Jets finished 2015 with a record that didn't accurately reflect their true talent level, given the wildly out-of-character performance they got from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. The career journeyman that had never shown the ability to perform at a consistently above-average level finished his age-33 season with 31 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. He seems extraordinarily unlikely to repeat that performance in 2016 ... and that's if the free agent winds up back with the Jets, as Decker himself expects. If he doesn't return to the fold, New York is looking at starting Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, or Christian Hackenberg under center. That's not exactly a murderer's row of candidates.

The thing working in the Jets' favor if the division does wind up "up for grabs" is that, well, the Dolphins and Bills aren't exactly all that great either. Unless they can get off to a super-hot start against their tough schedule, though, they're going to have to outduel Brady down the stretch of the season in order to come away with the division crown, and that's a tall order.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I capped the word SUSPENSION because he's a cheater (y)

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
No, it doesn't. Even if the Pats go 0-4, Brady will probably go 12-0 or 11-1 and nobody in the AFC east is good enough to get 12 wins.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm with legatron. Brady is still good and still has a few more years in him. As long as he is still playing good they will own the division.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I root for the Dolphins, Bills & Jets every time they play Cheatriots, well, I root for every team they play against. I'm hoping one of those teams can rise, but I just don't see with too many question marks for the teams.

1. Jets...WTH is going on at Quarterback?
  2. Bills....Rexy seems no longer to be sexy.
  3. Dolphins...Like Adam Gase, but they are not ready yet.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IF, " BIG IF!" Brady serves his SUSPENSION, he gone for 4 weeks, then his timing will be off for the first couple of games he is back! I don't think the Cheatriots can pull off a Division Win this year! Miami or Buffalo could get Lucky this year!
I'm thinking of making a small wager, here at ROD, to that effect! I'm thinking Buffalo, maybe!;)

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Much as I hate it, I think the cheatriots win the East...If Brady was gone for half the season or more, I might feel differently...I just don't think the rest are that impressive...

jap

Legend
Personally, I would love to see the Horns meet the Pats in the Big Show. It would be poetic justice seeing The Mighty One and Aaron slap the crap out of the Man named Brady or to have Mark "Dr. Death" Barron light him up on a vicious blitz. I would love to see the Gurley Express! carving his way through the Pats' D or Tavon running circles around & through their secondary.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Brady's suspension may have as big an effect on the NFC West as it does the AFC East. Arizona gets to face a Bradyless NE team in week 1 for a home Sunday night game. Rams get to go to NE in week 13. So, as much as I dislike the Cheatriots, a part of me hopes the suspension doesn't happen to negate the Rams competitive disadvantage.

Q729

Legend
Personally, I would love to see the Horns meet the Pats in the Big Show. It would be poetic justice seeing The Mighty One and Aaron slap the crap out of the Man named Brady or to have Mark "Dr. Death" Barron light him up on a vicious blitz. I would love to see the Gurley Express! carving his way through the Pats' D or Tavon running circles around & through their secondary.
Top it off with a kneel-down on the Pat's one yard line to run the clock out for the win.