Does a Stafford retirement put a QB in play with the Rams' 2nd round pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good chat guys and gals, appreciate the info.

I don't care how the Rams do it but they need to find a way to draft Caleb Williams in 2024.
They'll have to go 0-17 in 2023 in order to have a chance.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the answer is no. My answer would obviously be different had Baker not fell into our laps but with him the focus is going to be on getting the pieces right around him, which will be difficult enough as it is.

So basically if Stafford retires they use part of that money they free up to address the backup at most. But they may just spend all resources on building around him and go with Perkins as depth. Because even with a better backup if the starter goes down you're probably done.

This is why I think the Rams go with Stafford/Mayfield in 2023. Stafford is tough and will want another shot at a ring. Mayfield should get a backloaded contract that jives nicely with Stafford leaving after the 2023 season. In an ideal world for the team both players would be adults about it and would be able to agree on it and then the Rams look so much better off.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm with Jerry on Hooker looking like a real nice QB prospect that could actually fall to our pick. I'm just hopeful that Stafford shares his thoughts on playing or retiring with the Rams before the draft comes around, so we can prepare accordingly.

I'm also on the train that I'd do damn near anything to get Caleb Williams on the Rams. Living through a 0-17 season though would be utterly painful however. He will be a top 5 QB in the NFL for the next 10 years though and, much like Mahomes, will change the team that drafts him dramatically IMO

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
58 TDs to 5 Ints and completing nearly 70% of his passes in the SEC. It suffices to say that I disagree that he struggles with reads. Accurate, good decision maker, smart, very mobile, and plenty of arm. His completion percentage is also 8-10% better than the other QBs who have succeeded in that system (Lock, Milton, and Gabriel). His age and injury will cut against him, but he can play. Florida would have been a far better team if they had him instead of Richardson this year.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfAKl5xP9sA

That's one hooker that, with the right kind of seasoning, can make defenses his bitch.

:laugh4:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If Mayfield re-signs with us - which I expect will happen if Stafford retires - I don't see the need with quarterbacks. I'd still prefer Richardson over the people available if we had to take a quarterback, but I don't see it as an exceptional need.