Do you want the Rams to part ways with Williams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Like others have said, I think the team needs to let Gregg go. The problem isn't just the audio and his indefinite suspension.

The problem is that the Rams will be under the microscope on every play. If a Rams defensive player hurts someone, whether they meant to or not, Williams will be blamed, people will point fingers and players might get unfairly punished/suspended.

Also, I don't want the media attention that it would receive...it really couldn't help the team, but could serve as a major distraction. I do think that he's a good DC, but at this point, I'm not sure he can help the team. It probably would be better to sever ties, and find a new DC next year.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
No,most importantly because I want Fisher to ,stand by his friend , give him the avenue to redeem himself and demonstrate to the players that he is a loyal person behind them and willing to help them work through SOME problems.
I don't expect him to run a home for "unwed mothers" like Vermeil did with Lawrence Phillips ,but I think players return loyalty when they think they will get it.
There are few things so negative you can't turn them around and derive some positives from them and IMO we ( the Rams) can take that tac.

It is part of my assumptive world that Gregg Williams for all the protestations to the contrary is not AS ALONE in this as everyone wants to portray it.

I doubt it's a HUGE surprise to Fisher, he may have even been a part of something similar in nature and doubtless there are numerous people around the league Williams has coached with and under who have as well .
I know,I know everyone is denying it, I KNOW , but it's just not within me to believe that considering the FACT that there HAVE been bounties going back to the fifties ,to think he's the only coach to be involved goes beyond by suspension of disbelief parameters.

Let the league handle this, don't pile on, give Williams a reason to be loyal to the league so he can help them put a lid on this and the potential for litigation.
IMO football needs to circle the wagons right now,not form a circular firing squad.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Thordaddy said:
No,most importantly because I want Fisher to ,stand by his friend , give him the avenue to redeem himself and demonstrate to the players that he is a loyal person behind them and willing to help them work through SOME problems.
I don't expect him to run a home for "unwed mothers" like Vermeil did with Lawrence Phillips ,but I think players return loyalty when they think they will get it.
There are few things so negative you can't turn them around and derive some positives from them and IMO we ( the Rams) can take that tac.

It is part of my assumptive world that Gregg Williams for all the protestations to the contrary is not AS ALONE in this as everyone wants to portray it.

I doubt it's a HUGE surprise to Fisher, he may have even been a part of something similar in nature and doubtless there are numerous people around the league Williams has coached with and under who have as well .
I know,I know everyone is denying it, I KNOW , but it's just not within me to believe that considering the FACT that there HAVE been bounties going back to the fifties ,to think he's the only coach to be involved goes beyond by suspension of disbelief parameters.

Let the league handle this, don't pile on, give Williams a reason to be loyal to the league so he can help them put a lid on this and the potential for litigation.
IMO football needs to circle the wagons right now,not form a circular firing squad.

I've been thinking the same thing about Fisher showing loyalty to GW. Excellent Post there Thor,,, Way to "Drop the Hammer" :bg:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thordaddy said:

Solid take. I guess I just think as an organization we really don't have much of a tie to Williams. I suppose Fisher does but Williams left him for greener pastures before. Why in this case does Fisher owe him loyalty that might damage the team? I suppose that is somewhat of a moot point anyway. He is suspended from the NFL and can't work with the Rams until his suspension is lifted. Fisher could revisit that scenario when/if Williams is reinstated. I don't think Fisher needs to make any statements distancing himself from Williams though. Just let it go for now and let the chips fall where they may.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
RamFan503 said:
Thordaddy said:

Solid take. I guess I just think as an organization we really don't have much of a tie to Williams. I suppose Fisher does but Williams left him for greener pastures before. Why in this case does Fisher owe him loyalty that might damage the team? I suppose that is somewhat of a moot point anyway. He is suspended from the NFL and can't work with the Rams until his suspension is lifted. Fisher could revisit that scenario when/if Williams is reinstated. I don't think Fisher needs to make any statements distancing himself from Williams though. Just let it go for now and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm not trying to put too fine a point on this,but my post wasn't just about the Rams, the league or Williams and Fisher.
It was about the game itself,there are so many lawsuits on the horizon, so much science directed AT the concussion issue that the game as we know it is in a compromised situation.

Roger Goodell has taken the job of guiding the league through a friggin minefield,player safety being a provable objective of the league is what he is trying to establish AFTER the fact, when the real FACT, is the league has operated for most of it's existence largely,not totally but largely with a pretty cavalier attitude towards injury especially concussions.
Whatever happens to the league will happen to the game,IMO Gregg Williams banishment will not insulate the league from the rest of it's history,if it would I'd say cut him loose and be done, but what would happen if they did IMO he would then appear as an expert witness for the plaintiffs in many of those law suits and he would drag the league under the same bus they threw him under.And it won't matter whether what he says is true or not.
They NEVER proved silicone implants caused cancer,they made a jury believe it, same with asbestos.
What we have here is a manifestation of why "no tree grows to the sky" .
When Lyndon Johnson chose Hubert Humphrey as his running mate,some were puzzled ,Johnson and Humphrey were known to be bitter rivals who found it difficult to be civil towards one another,when asked why he made that choice Johnson said,
"It's better to have him on the inside pissin' out than on the outside pissin' in". I see Williams a lot that way.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thordaddy said:
I'm not trying to put too fine a point on this,but my post wasn't just about the Rams, the league or Williams and Fisher.
It was about the game itself,there are so many lawsuits on the horizon, so much science directed AT the concussion issue that the game as we know it is in a compromised situation.

Roger Goodell has taken the job of guiding the league through a friggin minefield,player safety being a provable objective of the league is what he is trying to establish AFTER the fact, when the real FACT, is the league has operated for most of it's existence largely,not totally but largely with a pretty cavalier attitude towards injury especially concussions.
Whatever happens to the league will happen to the game,IMO Gregg Williams banishment will not insulate the league from the rest of it's history,if it would I'd say cut him loose and be done, but what would happen if they did IMO he would then appear as an expert witness for the plaintiffs in many of those law suits and he would drag the league under the same bus they threw him under.And it won't matter whether what he says is true or not.
They NEVER proved silicone implants caused cancer,they made a jury believe it, same with asbestos.
What we have here is a manifestation of why "no tree grows to the sky" .
When Lyndon Johnson chose Hubert Humphrey as his running mate,some were puzzled ,Johnson and Humphrey were known to be bitter rivals who found it difficult to be civil towards one another,when asked why he made that choice Johnson said,
"It's better to have him on the inside pissin' out than on the outside pissin' in". I see Williams a lot that way.

Wow man. What a beautifully worded response. Seriously. I really like how you approach things. I can dig that you are looking at this from a much more global approach. Very cool and you make a lot of sense. Glad to have you posting on ROD. Other than that? I got nuthin'.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
>>"It's better to have him on the inside pissin' out than on the outside pissin' in". I see Williams a lot that way.<<

So you're sayin it's better to keep a cheat on staff, than to have him cheatin for someone else? :what:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
ramsince62 said:
>>"It's better to have him on the inside pissin' out than on the outside pissin' in". I see Williams a lot that way.<<

So you're sayin it's better to keep a cheat on staff, than to have him cheatin for someone else? :what:
Trying to put myself in the minds of NFL top brass, I'd say that its about risks to their business. And when viewing from that perspective, the NFL does not want Williams as a key witness against the NFL in a massive class action lawsuit. So, reinstate Williams and make him sign a confidentiality agreement as part of his reinstatement.

We're not talking morality here, but shrewd biz tactics.

So, yeah, Williams will be reinstated before next season and the NFL PR machine will go to work to present him as a model rehabilitated citizen.

Just take note of all those media pundits demonizing Williams right now, and watch how they will glorify him after his reinstatement.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Re:

interference said:
So, yeah, Williams will be reinstated before next season and the NFL PR machine will go to work to present him as a model rehabilitated citizen.

Just take note of all those media pundits demonizing Williams right now, and watch how they will glorify him after his reinstatement.

Mike Vick 2.0!

Warner said yesterday Williams deserves another chance in the NFL. Pretty big given that Williams basically ended Warner's career.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
ramsince62 said:

As far as cheating goes, you can call holding on every play, so I sort of discount that as being a damning factor for Williams.

And I guess I extend the act of the Rams ditching GW as an eternal ban which probably I shouldn't without saying that IF the Rams can him I don't think anyone will touch him for years if ever so it would then amount to a de facto permanent ban

I get your repulsion, I do and I emphaticaly discount the conventional "everyone deserves a second chance" some people don't , but WE deserve to be the sort of people who will give someone a second chance.

When things like this happen a feeding frenzy of outrage ensues and rhetoric escalates as each professional word smith applies his own unique form of disgust,for that reason I usually try to make up my mind way before I know the facts :shock: .

But to complete the thought about "the game" .IMO the game itself is in some danger especially if it doesn't adequately deal wihth the emerging legal environment.
College ,HS ,Pee Wee programs will ALL be rated up on insurance if the league loses a $10 billion class action lawsuit.
I've been through 4 different symposiums required by 4 different governing bodies that want to establish the legal posture that IF I act like Greg Williams or Jerry Sandusky ,it wasn't because they condone it. The courses are light go over seminars that are in the most part to give them legal cover.

Big Football is a very real emotionaly charged label that IMO is going to at some future date be used to frame the league like Big Business, Big Pharma ,Big Tobacco. IN actuality Big Football IS big ,but little football doesn't have the financial resources to be adversly impacted .

MY position vis a vis Williams and what direction he urinates is pretty well my way of saying he would be a powerful enemy and becoming vindictive instead of JUST punnitive could bring retaliatory vindictiveness and rigth now the league and the game don't need it.
JMO

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Thordaddy said:
But to complete the thought about "the game" .IMO the game itself is in some danger especially if it doesn't adequately deal wihth the emerging legal environment.
And it is this point that I think we should be focused on.... "The Game", the way most of us have played it and have gotten used to watch it, is most definitely under attack. What will happen over the course of the next few years will play a big role in defining what type of "Game" is actually played when our kids buy season tickets for their own families.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
interference said:
Thordaddy said:
And it is this point that I think we should be focused on.... "The Game", the way most of us have played it and have gotten used to watch it, is most definitely under attack. What will happen over the course of the next few years will play a big role in defining what type of "Game" is actually played when our kids buy season tickets for their own families.

OR if there will EVEN BE a game for them to watch.

I think your avatar offers a possible measure that could reduce the number of concussions ,IMO if they got rid of the face mask there would be less helmet to helmet contact,but the cosmetic costs will probably assure THAT NEVER happens,my third helmet was my first with a face mask.