Do you trust Fisher/Snead to draft our QB of the future?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
WC offense or the Paul Brown offense has worked well for fifty years. The execution of that offense is poor for this team right now.

Sure. But... A lot has changed over those years to favour a more explosive and deep passing scheme.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Do I trust them to draft a good quarterback? Sure, I believe they're fully capable of drafting one. But I don't believe they're capable of developing him into a good NFL quarterback. He might be good with another coaching staff, but not this one.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Sure. But... A lot has changed over those years to favour a more explosive and deep passing scheme.
As we have seen deep and explosive are not the same.
I mean Foles throws many deep passes that seem to be implosive.
WCO relies on timing and accuracy to produce YAC which makes it explosive without being deep.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's hard to know, which is true....Does a coach like Fisher suck so bad that he can't develop a QB? or is it that QB is what he is..regardless of draft position, will succeed no matter where?. I tend to the latter, thinking of whether to sit a rookie QB to watch and learn, or to throw his ass into the fire.....Even Aaron Rodgers sat, but he had Brett Freaking Favre in front of him, or else he would have started immediately (imho)..Tom Brady was a a sixth round QB, but he told the owner Robert Craft "You made the best decision picking me" or something to that effect, when he was a rookie....You can point to first rounders that got killed like David Carr, but we don't really know i he would have busted anyway...

Fisher had Steve McNair, which was what he was, an extremely good QB with no help from Fisher...I tend to think get the Good-Great QB if he has the right stuff, will succeed eventually, regardless of HC or draft position..Cream rises to the top and all that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Merlin
great post....Yeah, they know talent, esp. top round talent. I have no doubt if they spend a 1st or 2nd round pick, they'll be able to play. And I can guarantee they won't draft a raw QB.... LOL

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fish has some serious defensive minds coaching that side of the rock---not so much on the offensive side. The Horns need a serious injection of offensive brains.

This is the way I see it as well.

Noted above is how well they have drafted defensive talent, but the funny thing is look at a guy like Alexander... He is the defensive equivalent of Quick in that he's got outstanding talent but was extraordinarily raw coming out. After being coached up, the dude is lookin pretty darn good. If he was a WR, I'm sure by now he'd be a good special teams player who still can't run a route correctly, or have any idea what a defense is trying to do.

Fact is the coaching on the defensive side of the ball is top-notch. And Fish got there by firing the guys who weren't good enough until he brought the guy in he wanted originally. Good thing too. Williams is proven, and one of the best at what he does.

But what does Fish do on offense? Bring in a coach's kid who couldn't put up a good offense in NY. Now, that's all well and good provided you are willing to cut bait but I'm not sure Fish would have cut bait if Schotty hadn't taken that Georgia job, in which, incidentally, the offense looked terrible and the head coach was fired. Then he hires Cigs, which was very risky for him and his job security.

Thing is that I really love Jeff Fisher as our head coach. I think he's a good head coach. But in order to succeed he needs to hire an OC who can put his offense on the map. I swear man that if he had managed to get Greg Roman in here this offense would at least be solid and this team would resemble Minnesota instead of the same old Rams. Coordinators are crucial, particularly for that other side of the ball for the mortal head coaches not named Belichick.

So for me it's bittersweet if Fish gets fired. I wanted so badly to see him succeed but I just cannot stomach any more terrible offense. The dude needs to raise the bar and I'm afraid he just doesn't know how. I'm terrified he's gonna find some sorry, run-centric dude to coordinate this offense and it will be more of the same. Or he'll just keep Cigs and this staff in place in spite of the fact that their inability to field a strong offense has put him on the hotseat. It's a bad deal all the way around man with no relief in sight...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As we have seen deep and explosive are not the same.
I mean Foles throws many deep passes that seem to be implosive.
WCO relies on timing and accuracy to produce YAC which makes it explosive without being deep.

Around the league, a lot of teams have some degree of WCO in their base. I don't totally disagree with where you are coming from.

I guess it's the vertical passing element that doesn't seem as integrated or mature in our offense. That could be talent related.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Around the league, a lot of teams have some degree of WCO in their base. I don't totally disagree with where you are coming from.

I guess it's the vertical passing element that doesn't seem as integrated or mature in our offense. That could be talent related.
I ordered Madden 2016 from Game Fly, so I'll let you know how this is supposed to work in a few days.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave

Well having the backup's backup starting on the OL limits deep routes:(

jap

Legend
This is the way I see it as well.

Noted above is how well they have drafted defensive talent, but the funny thing is look at a guy like Alexander... He is the defensive equivalent of Quick in that he's got outstanding talent but was extraordinarily raw coming out. After being coached up, the dude is lookin pretty darn good. If he was a WR, I'm sure by now he'd be a good special teams player who still can't run a route correctly, or have any idea what a defense is trying to do.

Fact is the coaching on the defensive side of the ball is top-notch. And Fish got there by firing the guys who weren't good enough until he brought the guy in he wanted originally. Good thing too. Williams is proven, and one of the best at what he does.

But what does Fish do on offense? Bring in a coach's kid who couldn't put up a good offense in NY. Now, that's all well and good provided you are willing to cut bait but I'm not sure Fish would have cut bait if Schotty hadn't taken that Georgia job, in which, incidentally, the offense looked terrible and the head coach was fired. Then he hires Cigs, which was very risky for him and his job security.

Thing is that I really love Jeff Fisher as our head coach. I think he's a good head coach. But in order to succeed he needs to hire an OC who can put his offense on the map. I swear man that if he had managed to get Greg Roman in here this offense would at least be solid and this team would resemble Minnesota instead of the same old Rams. Coordinators are crucial, particularly for that other side of the ball for the mortal head coaches not named Belichick.

So for me it's bittersweet if Fish gets fired. I wanted so badly to see him succeed but I just cannot stomach any more terrible offense. The dude needs to raise the bar and I'm afraid he just doesn't know how. I'm terrified he's gonna find some sorry, run-centric dude to coordinate this offense and it will be more of the same. Or he'll just keep Cigs and this staff in place in spite of the fact that their inability to field a strong offense has put him on the hotseat. It's a bad deal all the way around man with no relief in sight...

This is why I am hoping that Silent Stan intervene. We need an offensive who can handle the modern pass/run games; one who can recognize passing/receiving talent and refine those skills even more.

Did Fish just luck out with Air McNair? The guy could throw the rock or run like a runaway FB on crack. Did Fish choose him or did someone else?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

I guess it's the passing element that doesn't seem as integrated or mature in our offense. That could be talent related.

I fixed that for you! Fisher don't like passing, thinks that it's a fad.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sounds like a good thread.
Honestly, if people played it on 'Madden' level, and substituted the same players out of the lineup that are missing now, and then simply called plays...

Everyone here would fire themselves.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Honestly, if people played it on 'Madden' level, and substituted the same players out of the lineup that are missing now, and then simply called plays...

Lol:yess:

WvuIN02

Starter
I traded Bradford for Carson Palmer in Madden 2013.

Me > Rams scouting department imo

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I traded Bradford for Carson Palmer in Madden 2013.

Me > Rams scouting department imo
Yeah, well, I brought Isaac Bruce out of retirement and made him 23 years old.
Me > you

Rookie

UDFA
I think when it's all said and done and this terrible season is behind us, this is the key question that will determine whether Kroenke keeps Fish on for his fifth year.

Foles' play has degraded to the point where he doesn't even look like a backup QB. Keenum looked just as bad in his start. Cigs might be in way over his head, at least it looks like he is getting worked over by every DC matchup now. Weinke hasn't done much for these guys either when you consider the above, looks to me like he needs to go back to takin money from the parents of rich kids.

Will Fisher even make a change at OC? Sounds crazy but I'm not sure he will and that's why I want him gone. I mean the dude could hire Martz and IMMEDIATELY have a guy on his staff who would tweak the offense the rest of the way and give him good scouting reports on the QBs in this draft (the dude KNOWS QBs) and also ensure that QB they draft and Mannion get the teaching they need. But he will probably try to keep the guys who sold him on signing Foles before the dude even played a snap in this offense.

Anyway, I digress. They key is whether this critical decision that looms this offseason is one that you want being made by a regime that has lost 4 straight seasons, in spite of more high-end draft real estate than any other over that time. When you consider that this Rams roster will be very, very attractive to any elite head coach given that they can come in and be a part of the selection of that QB of the future in a draft where there are several good options... Maybe that hastens the decision as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sometimes I do fire myself: I play the 9ers against the Rams and control them horribly. I know, I need help...