Do You Remember Where You Were, When....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon...
When the Beatles broke up...
Reagan was shot...
Space Shuttle Challenger exploded....
Sept 11...

I was 5 years old when Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon, watching Walter Kronkite hosting the moment at around 9pm on July 20, 1969. (Whittier, CA)
On April 10th, 1970. as I was climbing like a monkey up the door molding in the kitchen doorway (Whittier, CA) when I heard that the Beatles had broken up, which meant no more Yellow Submarine cartoon videos.
On March 30th, 1981, President Ronald Reagan was shot around noon time on the west coast on a Monday. It must have been announced at school (Sacramento, CA) and all I remember is wondering if Reagan would die and if he would become our generation's JFK?
I was 21 years old on January 26th, 1986 at about 9:40 am at work as a sailor on shore duty at Point Loma, California when a fellow squid was watching this tiny portable black and white TV on a work bench when the Challenger exploded just after take off, while @Selassie I was floating in the ocean watching the same thing.
I was walking with my wife for exercise (Emporia, KS) on the morning of Sept.11, 2001, when another passing walker excitedly told us that one of the World Trade Towers may have been hit by a passenger jet in a horrible accident. We went home and turned on the news when the second jet flew into the 2nd Tower in such dramatic fashion. All air traffic in the USA was stopped and there was another jet headed for Washington DC. It was clear America was under attack.

Do you have any other memorable events that you experienced after adding your when/where info ? I bet train could tell us about where he was when JFK was shot or about the Cuban Missile Crisis....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1 Not born yet, that came a bit over a year later.

2 Same as above but a few months closer

3 Eleven at the time in likely 5th grade in Arkata California oblivious to the impact this had.

4 Sophmore year in high school watching it in science class just devastated

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reagan was shot...
Sept 11...

I was 5 years old when Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon, watching Walter Kronkite hosting the moment at around 9pm on July 20, 1969. (Whittier, CA)
On April 10th, 1970. as I was climbing like a monkey up the door molding in the kitchen doorway (Whittier, CA) when I heard that the Beatles had broken up, which meant no more Yellow Submarine cartoon videos.
On March 30th, 1981, President Ronald Reagan was shot around noon time on the west coast on a Monday. It must have been announced at school (Sacramento, CA) and all I remember is wondering if Reagan would die and if he would become our generation's JFK?
I was 21 years old on January 26th, 1986 at about 9:40 am at work as a sailor on shore duty at Point Loma, California when a fellow squid was watching this tiny portable black and white TV on a work bench when the Challenger exploded just after take off, while @Selassie I was floating in the ocean watching the same thing.
I was walking with my wife for exercise (Emporia, KS) on the morning of Sept.11, 2001, when another passing walker excitedly told us that one of the World Trade Towers may have been hit by a passenger jet in a horrible accident. We went home and turned on the news when the second jet flew into the 2nd Tower in such dramatic fashion. All air traffic in the USA was stopped and there was another jet headed for Washington DC. It was clear America was under attack.

Do you have any other memorable events that you experienced after adding your when/where info ? I bet train could tell us about where he was when JFK was shot or about the Cuban Missile Crisis....
I was at my Grandparents house ( dads side) when Armstrong landed on the moon. They had the old style, all in one tv, record player, radio thing. Didn’t give two shits about the Beatles, Rolling Stones all the way baby. I was in my 4th grade class when Kennedy was shot. We were told what happened by the Principal over the intercom and then assembled outside to be sent home. Catholic kids in the neighborhood had restrictions placed on them, no playing with their toy guns for a month etc……

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was at my Grandparents house ( dads side) when Armstrong landed on the moon. They had the old style, all in one tv, record player, radio thing. Didn’t give two shits about the Beatles, Rolling Stones all the way baby. I was in my 4th grade class when Kennedy was shot. We were told what happened by the Principal over the intercom and then assembled outside to be sent home. Catholic kids in the neighborhood had restrictions placed on them, no playing with their toy guns for a month etc……
Old bastid....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Reagan was shot... I was camping with my family as a kid.
Space Shuttle Challenger exploded.... I was in English class.
Sept 11... I was working. Its all we talked about all day. I remember this whole day, practically.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Y
1 Not born yet, that came a bit over a year later.

2 Same as above but a few months closer

3 Eleven at the time in likely 5th grade in Arkata California oblivious to the impact this had.

4 Sophmore year in high school watching it in science class just devastated
You are misnamed....I dub thee, YoungSchool.....

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I was born in 1968, so... don't remember first two.

Reagan - I was in PE class in Middle School

Challenger - in college, saw on TV in dining hall

9/11 - driving to work. First reports came in claiming it was a small plane. By the time I got to work, it was clear that it was a coordinated attack.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon.............................................nope
When the Beatles broke up..................................................................nope
Reagan was shot.......................................................................................in high school , sitting in detention
Space Shuttle Challenger exploded................................................in the Navy , walking into our barracks common room, TV was on
Sept 11..........................................................................................................at work , trying to listen to the over head radio speaks in the building

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
My oldest memory was the JFK assassination. I was three years old, and standing with my mother at Woolworths when the news broke. We rushed home. My grandmother was there, and sisters came home from school. Neighbors and family were around. The TV and radio were both on.

Apparently, I was very upset and animated; and no one could understand why. I had no idea what a President was, let alone who was the President. Murder / Assassination were concepts I did not understand. So why was I upset. When my father came home hours later, I hugged him, smiled, laughed and went outside to play.

Years later, my mother told me how everyone was confused by my behavior that day. I was able to explain it to her because I remembered exactly why I acted as I did.

Something was Very Wrong. Everyone I knew was upset but right there with me. However, there was nothing wrong where we were. My three-year old mind could not understand multiple different places at one time.

There were only Two places. There was Here and There. Dad wasn't Here, so he must be There; and there was something Very Wrong There. Once my father got home and was OK, my little world was in-tact. Time to play.

9/11 ... now that's still a terrible memory. Live in Manhattan; and, one of my sisters worked in Tower 7 which was the 3rd building to fall that day (in the afternoon). She survived but when she got to the street, my sister made a terrible mistake ... she hung around ... saw some horrible things.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Moon…not born
Beatles … not born
Reagan Shot… in elementary school 2nd-3rd grade
Challenger… at home watching it on tv
911… watched the first plane on tv. Had jury duty. Sat in the court house for 4 hours due to the attacks. All state and city buildings locked down.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Wasn't born for any except 9/11, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I was in the fifth grade, a Tuesday, ready to go to school, when I saw my mom watching the news. I saw the smoke of what was a plane on one of the towers. Then I saw the second aircraft crash into the second tower, heard the newslady scream, "Oh my God!", saw my mom cry (she never cries), and my ten-year-old mind realized that people had died.

I went to school. No classes were being taught; just the television on, watching the Twin Towers - pillars of New York - tumble down. Saw the Pentagon aftermath. Saw the crashed airplane in a small Pennsylvania field.

None of us spoke. We were just stunned as our childish innocence vanished like smoke on the wind.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon.............................................nope
When the Beatles broke up..................................................................nope
Reagan was shot.......................................................................................in high school , sitting in detention
Space Shuttle Challenger exploded................................................in the Navy , walking into our barracks common room, TV was on
Sept 11..........................................................................................................at work , trying to listen to the over head radio speaks in the building
Delinquent!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Watched the shuttle disaster in a school library. They had it broadcast on one of those old school TV and VCR tray holders they would roll in on rainy days. I could barely see what happened, but it was sad.

Was getting ready to go to work and then school afterward. Those were the shitty days when you leave the house at 7AM and don't get home until 1030. I don't always watch the news in the morning, but I had it on. My mom called and we were both shocked to see one building collapse and then another. Just tragic and sad that someone would attack the United States.

nighttrain

Legend
Reagan was shot...
Sept 11...

Jr year of HS when JFK killed, bad times, had just turned 14 in '62, I remember everyone being very worried about Khrushchev, him saying "we will bury you" , it was a memorial time
train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I watched the moon landing from my living room in Canoga Park.

I didn't care about the Beatles when they broke up. I liked their music but it really didn't make it on my radar.

The assassination attempt was huge. I was a senior at Atascadero High. I left school so I could go home and watch the news. I was a big Reaganite and cried as I watched and waited for information.

I was installing carpet in a house in SLO when the Shuttle blew up. The lady had it on TV so we all stopped to watch it. I remember saying, "That doesn't look right." as the NASA guy kept giving details as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening. It was very surreal.

9/11 I was getting ready to head into work when the first report came in about it. I immediately turned on the TV's in my office to two different channels to watch as it all went down. Devastating.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched the moon landing from my living room in Canoga Park.

I didn't care about the Beatles when they broke up. I liked their music but it really didn't make it on my radar.

The assassination attempt was huge. I was a senior at Atascadero High. I left school so I could go home and watch the news. I was a big Reaganite and cried as I watched and waited for information.

I was installing carpet in a house in SLO when the Shuttle blew up. The lady had it on TV so we all stopped to watch it. I remember saying, "That doesn't look right." as the NASA guy kept giving details as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening. It was very surreal.

9/11 I was getting ready to head into work when the first report came in about it. I immediately turned on the TV's in my office to two different channels to watch as it all went down. Devastating.
”You bloody SUMBICH!“ ~ Ringo

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
7/20/69 - 5 years old, glued to a black and white TV in my living room in the thriving metropolis of Lewiston, ID.

Didn't know who the Beatles were at the time, so no memory of that one.

I didn't hear about Reagan being shot until about 3 hours after it happened, when I went to work after school.

Was at sea and actually near Florida when the shuttle exploded. Heard about it later in the day when the captain announced that the shuttle had gone down, but didn't really understand what had happened until the next day when we pulled into port and I saw it on TV.

On 9/11, I was getting ready for work and had the TV on to a news channel where they were covering the first plane that hit. I shut off my TV, went out to my car to go to work. When the radio came on right after I started the car, there was news about a second plane hitting the second tower, at which time it dawned on everyone that it was not an accident.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Reagan was shot...
Sept 11...
Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon-Best I can remember was watching it on video TV in 9th-grade class @ Johnson Jr. High Eau Gallie FL. My dad worked at the Cape for Lockheed so it was a big deal.

When the Beatles broke up... did not care, they were way too light for my small brain ....I was too busy blowing out my brains & eardrums with Mountain/ Alvin lee-Ten Years After/ Cream/ Black Sabbath & Uriah Heep. I recall the death of John Lennon far much more, was a big fan of his music/ work.

John Kenndy Assassination.. 3rd-grade classroom late afternoon in Sherwood Elementary Wickham Park Brevard County Fl.

Reagan was shot... At work @ Close Custody Prison. The inmates told us while they were raising hell/ going off & laughing. I was highly upset! Very big on RR!

Space Shuttle Challenger exploded.... It was a very cold bright sunny morning & went outside to see the smoke remains blow down range far to the SW of where I lived @ that time in Central FL.

Sept 11...At work & walked into my office, TV was on Secretary told me a small plane & hit one of the twin towers in NYC. Never seen anything like it, hope to never see it again. Just Stunned & angry!