Do we draft a RB and a PK in the 5th round or sooner?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My priority with a kicker is consistent conversion of routine ranges, since I'm not a fan of trying for super long field goals anyway with the boost in field position they give opponents (vs punting them into their end). So my special teams goal overall would be a punter who is good at directionally pinning opponents by hitting the corners of the field deep in their red zone, and a consistent kicker who can finish drives within reason.

Now our current punter doesn't seem particularly adept at pinning opponents back. Could just be I was spoiled by Hekk in that regard, but to me our teams "leg" types don't ideally suit our offense. Either way no chance I'd be thinking kicker in round 3. Fuck that. I'd rather have open invitationals for ex-soccer players every month for the next three years and scour that sector of the market than spend higher picks on that position. They are just too unpredictable.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm not saying I agree with this but I suspect Rams see Rivers as their RB 2. They prob won't look to draft more than a developmental guy from the 5th round on and since this RB class isn't that great, it'll probably be a DIV II guy we've never heard of.

I think that's likely but... who knows.
I don’t necessarily disagree.. but that’s the crux.
If Evans has improved enough to be a good #2.. they’re fine.

Otherwise.. the dropoff to Rivers is too great, imo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's definitely a long bet that Evans will turn into even a backup.
Yeah the Rams aren't fools. They won't set themselves up to count on Evans. They'll bring in some guys they like late rounds and maybe UDFA. I could see them taking the position as high as round 3 if an option they really like falls to them, but chances are rounds 5+ they'll have some guys earmarked.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope they can squeeze a decent RB into this draft. I don’t have a lot of faith in Ronnie ‘Little River Band’ Rivers to carry the load or consistently block for Stafford in the case that Kyren is injured.

Zach Evans looked completely lost at a position that usually transitions pretty well from college to the NFL.

I was hoping they’d sign a guy like Donta Foreman in free agency and put the issue to bed. In a weak RB class it seems less likely to get a good one late in the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kicker absolutely needs to be addressed. I wish they had kept Dicker around. Kicker is not a position that I ever dreamed would be a problem for a top coach like McVay.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
UFL could spit a K out, who knows?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It's definitely a long bet that Evans will turn into even a backup.
I have zero idea.
Second year.. depends on how serious he is. Could easily put on 5-10 lbs.. and who knows how much he’s learned about pass pro.

I keep going back to the fact they kept him all season.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
One trade down, one trade up ... wouldn't hate it if this fell ... 2 kids of 49ers ---

download (2).png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I mean… usually the top kickers are starting to go off the board in the 5th round…

And… Most here agree we need some depth and insurance with Williams. Can we find that if we wait later than the 5th, with reasonable certainty?

Looking at the top/favorite players… and our need to nail these two areas of the team… does that mean 2 of our top 6 picks go to depth RB and PK?

Lee Pace No GIF

That feels like a lot of our draft capital, doesn’t it?

With our first 6th round pick all the way down to 195, I think the Rams plan to trade for more picks inside the 5th.

#19 seems prime to get trade offers if there is an insane run on QB’s. Maybe thats how we do it, but looking at the need for RB and PK a trade down feels likely to me to give us more swings elsewhere.

Then again, the Rams seem to hit on 6th rounders and we have 4 of those. Just not sure I want to wait for a RB and PK there.

There is always FA too. But, just thinking about the draft.

LOL - no kicker imo(for sure)

What The Rams need is a backup RB.There are a few.This offseason seemed to be The Year of The RB.

RB’s get injured a lot & Kyren & Rivers got hurt at the same time last season. The Rams have Zach Evan’s,but Ron Gould is an excellent RB’s coach & has a good eye for talent.He also has recruited & watched film on this class that is coming out.

The Rams need depth at LBer(inside,cover Lb) I want Peyton Wilson Big Time !! Might even try to move up at the right time to draft him in the 2nd rd. That is just me though.Dude is a talent & has shown it.The Rams haven’t had a LBer like that in memory . The LBer from Hawaii ??? Like Ernest Brown being a JL55, Pua was the OLB. Wilson is faster & bigger,plus has excellent close speed & can rush the QB.

That said LBer & CB depth,plus PR guy for special teams as well.That is getting over looked. The Rams will find a FG kicker.Evan’s is no Johnny as a placeholder. He needs to get better & imo will.Plus dude can boom the football.)kicks it out of the End zone as well so will be interesting with the new rule.

I’ve been a Troy Reeder Fan,but The Rams need a starting LB.Is Christian Rozeboom your guy ??
Hoecht a DE/Lb starter ?

Defense is what The Rams really need to draft & a backup RB imo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I could see us repeating a familiar pattern and trading to take a RB before a player they like comes off the board. It all depends on how the draft plays out but Brooks, for instance, will most likely outplay most of the players drafted ahead of him (depending on his medical).

OK it would be madness to pick a RB with our first pick(s) but as the draft progresses RBs often provide unbelievable bang for the buck. What ever we do I don’t want a back up I want a player who will push for starting time just like Williams did - even if I expect him to make that extremely difficult
Agree finding a steal with 1 of 2 of last Top 100 top draft at RB.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Anybody who drafts a kicker before the 6th round should be fired on the spot.

Come on...

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd really prefer to wait to draft a kicker until the sixth at the earliest, but I could see them moving down with one of their earlier picks to get an extra fourth rounder for a running back. Our offense just doesn't work without a running threat, and when Kyren was down, we were horrible.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
The top K get drafted as high as 3rd round. Karty and Reichard are 2 of the best kicking prospects to come out recently and likely wont even make it to round 5 much less get past it.
The Rams can draft a guy in 6 or 7 which is Sam Sloman territory
Most mocks that I have seen don’t have either of those kickers before the latter part of the 6th round and beyond. Not sure if that’s because there’s no standout kicker in the draft but even if there was how many kickers that are picked early have better careers than those who were drafted later or signed as UDFA’s? I think the bust rate is around the same. There are exceptions but it’s rare for a college kicker to have immediate success. Kicker’s need time to develop. The new kickoff rules bring more strategy to the kickoff game and the return game but I think it’s more important than ever have a standout return man on the roster. I’d rather get a return man early than a kicker. College kickers have a high failure rate in the NFL.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I hate the idea of going into another year with a garbage place kicker who leaves points on the field. No matter how they do it, they have got to have a guy they are ACTUALLY confident in for under 60. None of them they rostered last year is that guy.

@So Ram who do you think is currently on the roster?

RB??? Like others, no idea where Evans is but they have to bring dome more competition in whether it is in draft or FA. Is there a FA out there anyone likes for a backup role? I just don’t see one. Maybe someone on a UFL roster???

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The only reason you draft a kicker early is if you're running Jeff Fishers offense. But I digress :)