Do the Rams REALLY need another TE?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ants

Starter
Perhaps this could go under the Draft portion of the forum, but there's also a more general point:

I read a lot on these forums that some people think we need to draft a TE fairly high in the draft. My question is, why?
Don't get me wrong - I know we need some depth.
I get the impression, though, that there is a desire for the Rams to draft a guy that's a great pass catcher - someone who turns out to be what we hoped Cook would be.

I think we tend to get too caught up in the Gronk phenomenon. But when you look at most NFL teams, their TE's are typically "serviceable" as pass catchers. Sure, some are better than others.
But we can even look at Seattle with Jimmy Graham - top-flight TE and where was he last year? He was "serviceable".

It really depends on how a team envisions the TE being used. I'm not sure the Rams need a guy that will catch 6-10 passes per game at the TE position (maybe they do - I don't know. I tend to think not, though).

I think Kendricks and Harkey are fine for what the Rams need as far as starters go.
Do the Rams need more than that? Absolutely.

Am I wrong in this perception? :thinking:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
What if Kendricks gets hurt? Yeah I think they need to add 1 and hopefully 2 new TEs to the roster.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Harkey is really a full back and he is a free agent. Cunningham can slide into that role if we don't resign Harkey. Strictly by numbers the rams need another tight end because we have 2 under contact.

The rams are primarily a two TE offense and I don't see that changing with our former TE coach becoming the fulltime offensive coordinator. So the 2nd TE is playing starter snaps so we definately need another starter. Ideally that starter compliments what we already have in Kendricks. I would look for a bigger guy with hands and the ability to threaten down the seem. Ya you can get Kendricks more involved, but generally he is inconsistent at best in the passing game.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah. I think that the Rams definitely need to have a TE added to the roster. And a serious weapon TE, at that. The more serious, the better.

Anybody watching the playoffs saw TE after TE making plays.

Cook failed us. A "weapon" TE is a necessity in today's NFL.

Now, whether to draft or take via FA? That's a different question. There are pros and cons to each strategy.

I guess we have to trust S&F to make that choice. We only have 6 picks, after all.

And better QB play would be a big help, of course. But I digress...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I want Hunter Henry because, he's big, strong and I'm a huge fan of alliteration, but the Rams need other things first so if they end up with Nick Vannett, that's fine too. Rams also might sign a tight end in free agency, but adding John Lilly to the coaching staff should give the Rams an extra edge because Lilly was a tight end coach at the collegiate ranks and should have a good feel for the players available in the draft.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
First, with a strong running game, you need 2 TE's that block well that can play inline. As of now you have Kendricks who plays inline...he blocks well but is inconsistent as a pass catcher. Second, you have Corey Harkey who is a good blocker and decent pass catcher, but he is used primarily as an H-back or move TE ; he rarely plays inline next to the Tackle. That leaves J. Cunningham. He has played inline as a back-up, but his skills are still unknown to me. I haven't seen him play much. With that said, the Rams are short 1 inline TE. This is the point I think that people agree upon.It would be great to draft a player like Hunter Henry who could become the #1 TE. His size and consistent hands would give the Rams QB a very reliable target along with being able to utilize him and Kendricks in double TE sets.

jap

Legend
Any TE acquired by the Horns should be at least a decent blocker. With our Thunder & Lightning constant TD breakaway threats dynamic duo, this should be a firm requirement. With that said, since they are gonna be on the field anyway and are legitimate receivers, they should as well possess decent hands. With TGII & Tavon commanding a ton of attention, our TEs should be able to exploit the middle of the field or anywhere else they please.

Do we need a Tony Gonzales talent? Probably not, although it never hurts to have one. I just hate to see legitimate receivers who can't, well, receive.

Ants

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've read through the responses thus far - and I get it - as I mentioned in the OP.
I know we need depth. And I know that we need guys that can block at the position.

But do you think that we need a great pass-catching TE?
...maybe it's just a perception (and an incorrect one on my part) that some people think we need a pass-catching TE.

But yes, I know we need more on the roster. :yess:

Rams43

Hall of Fame

What's your definition of "high pick" or " big money", flv?

Is #43 for a Hunter Henry too high?

And we were paying Cook $7 per year for less than mediocre production. So, is $6-8 million too much money for a FA at TE that actually is productive?

I would be fine with either alternative. Either would be a helluva lot better than what we've seen from Cook for years.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I've read through the responses thus far - and I get it - as I mentioned in the OP.
I know we need depth. And I know that we need guys that can block at the position.

But do you think that we need a great pass-catching TE?
...maybe it's just a perception (and an incorrect one on my part) that some people think we need a pass-catching TE.

But yes, I know we need more on the roster. :yess:

Yeah, we need a pass catching TE. Ants. Period.

A QB's second best friend (after Gurley).

Weren't you watching the playoffs? Those teams got to the playoffs in no small part due to pass catching TE's.

A pass catching TE is a "need", not a "want". In today's NFL, anyway.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I believe our Offense is going to be determined by the players. There just aren't that many great pass catching TEs. The fact that we overpaid for Cook is a great example of force feeding a weak position.
If we are one of the fortunate teams to land a good one, then by all means create more offensive plays for him. If not, look elsewhere for our game plans.

Every year we see guys coming out that are pinned as great TE's. Most of them never reach that ceiling.
It probably easier to find a good QB than a great TE.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
This is a good point, especially when added to the fact the Rams had the 2nd highest spending on the TE position last year in the entire NFL, and obviously did not get their money's worth.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
YES. What the Rams need is a big target for the middle of the field. Henry is perfect for the Rams, however if he is gone late first round there are still some other good options. I'd go with Williams in round 4 personally, he's a big, basketball type player with a great catching radius and the size you want. Very underrated to date IMO.

They might address that in FA, as well of course. At this point I don't know if Fleener gets to the market but man he'd be a nice pickup for this offense, and a shrewd one coming off a down year so the Rams would be buying low on him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What the Rams need are people who can run routes properly, get open running said routes and then catch the ball when the QB throws it to them. Doesn't matter if it's WR, TE or RB we need playmakers in the passing game. Henry as several have mentioned appears to be the best of them. I'd love if our second round picks are Henry and Tyler Boyd, he was just effortless running and catching today and he looks good on his game tape. If we come out of the first 2 rounds with Goff and those two I might just expire from excitement for the 2016 season. As for what we have on the roster we have Kendricks who's a servicable TE, there are teams that would love to have him as their starter. Harkey is a RFA I believe and should be back as he's great in the role of our FB and used well as an occasional receiving option. Justice Cunningham showed potential but I'd hate to roll the dice and go into the season with him as our #2 option having seen as little of him as we have.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Need to get the opposite of what Jared Cook is ....so I welcome aboard UFA ex Saint Benjamin Watson.

A serious class act NFL veteran player who @ 35 yr old TE & coming off his best season. I would offer him a nice 5.5 mil one yr deal and then use a 3rd or later draft selection to bring in the youthful pass catching TE. We need a consistent ball catcher who can also block well when needed. Ben fits that very well.

TE Watson IMO would work well with the 28 yr old TE Lance Kendricks as the LOS. lance has yet to show that he is worth his good size contract maybe teaming him with Ben for a yr will elevate his performance. Ben is an outstanding example. I would also try to make 25 yr old Full-Back Cory Harkey (who is a UFA) a decent long term contract.

Last edited:

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
The Rams fielded a running oriented offense with sets that included Jared Cook lining up at the FB spot. Yeah. . .
I hated that the Rams only carried 3 TEs on the active last year with 1 that could not block. Ideally, and guessing what the offense is going to look like next year, I'd want a multi-functioned TE added to this roster -- one that could play TE, FB, H-back, like Harkey does.
Someone like Dan Vitale, late in the draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Need to get the opposite of what Jared Cook is ....so I welcome aboard UFA ex Saint Benjamin Watson.

He's a little too old for me. I'd go with Fleener or Green, both are in their prime. Think Green is only 26 and he's done well when called upon, he'd be a real shrewd pickup for us if they miss out on Fleener.