Discriminators

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Just my thoughts on what the key discriminators are for the Rams this year. These are things that I believe are true difference makers in taking a major step up into the top tier of competition. And then some things that I believe are more noise than important.

1. Let's get this one out of the way. It's all about Bradford. Does he make this offense go? He needs to trigger splash plays in critical situations and eliminate wasted plays like batted down balls and dumb sacks. In short he needs to show that he is in command out there and show defenses that they can't fool him anymore. Sam needs to outsmart defenses, sustain drives and consistently make plays. The time is now.

2. Brockers. What exactly is he? A solid run stuffer who will make an occasion big play? Or is he on his way to being a dominant DT that offenses have to build a game plan around? If he is the latter then this defense will be brutal.

3. Is the OL really solid now? Yeah, looks much better on paper, but do they really provide a solid wall of protection for Sam, similar to what Brady has been getting for years from his OL? And can they stay healthy?

4. The receivers. Can they separate, catch, and get YAC? They don't need to do much to be light years better that last year. Seeing is believing, I just want to see it. And one of these guys needs to be a decent return guy.

5. ST's. According to Football Outsiders, the Rams had the one of the worst ST's in 2012. They need a return guy desperately. Especially a punt returner. That would make a huge difference on both sides of the ball. KO returns are more of a novelty now with the new rules, just don't lose the ball or get tackled inside the 20 and you're ok.

6. Will Ogletree be an impact rookie? LBs often come right in and make an impact. The only thing that may hold AO back is the mental aspects of the game. My hope is that Fisher keeps it simple for him so AO can simply seek and destroy.

7. The back-up QB. Yawn. Nice diversion. But let's face it, it's all about Bradford.

8. RB's. Have fun debating this subject. It's noise as far as I'm concerned. If the OL does well run blocking, the RBs will be fine.

9. The Safeties are a question mark, but as Bill Parcells said, you are less important the further you are from the ball. If the front 7 is stellar that will cover up a multitude of sins at Safety. Still, it would be nice to get a big play occasionally from the guys in the back. Fisher is talking up TJ, he owns the kid, but it would a icing on the cake if TJ was an solid player this year.

10. Fisher. He is the man. He should be worth a couple of wins all by himself. In close games I expect he will be a major difference. He has his staff all settled in now, they should give opposing teams fits. I expect Fisher to win most of his home games this year. I'll be severely disappointed with Jets and Vikes type losses this year. I don't believe he will allow that to happen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good stuff, max. Nailed a lot of the things I've been mulling over as well.

So you think the RBs are pretty much all the same? I believe it'll be a committee at first, but I think someone is gonna step up and take the bulk of the carries before too long. There's a lot of diversity among the candidates though. Some of them do things the others can't. That's why I think someone will eventually separate and become the bell-cow.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Whew, did you nail #1 or what? This about covers it bro.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:

So you think the RBs are pretty much all the same? I believe it'll be a committee at first, but I think someone is gonna step up and take the bulk of the carries before too long. There's a lot of diversity among the candidates though. Some of them do things the others can't. That's why I think someone will eventually separate and become the bell-cow.

Softli said he expects Stacy to close out games, but he won't get the majority of the carries early in the game. That makes sense to me. So I don't see a bell cow RB this year. The preseason will decided a lot. Can Richardson hold off Pead? And what about Cunningham? Reports are that Gannaway has slow feet. We shall soon see.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of the Pead/Richardson battle for control of the carries. I think one of them is going to separate from the other this year (early on). In my mind's eye, Pead is going to get the bulk of the carries, Richardson is going to spell him maybe 38% of the time, and Stacy (or Cunningham or Gannaway) will come in on short-yardage situations - but not solely to gain tough yards, because that would be telegraphing.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I still think the RB situation will work itself out well enough.

If I had one thing that I want more than anything else, outside of Bradford, and that I think is possible it's all about Brockers.

I'm really hoping he becomes the best DT in the NFL. The guy everyone is talking about by the end of the year. Big Brock's got the size and athletic ability to do it. How much does he want it?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:

If I had one thing that I want more than anything else, outside of Bradford, and that I think is possible it's all about Brockers.

I'm really hoping he becomes the best DT in the NFL. The guy everyone is talking about by the end of the year. Big Brock's got the size and athletic ability to do it. How much does he want it?
Oh I think he wants it bad.
There are rumblings that he's growing into his frame now and that he just looks "mean."
Sky's the limit with that dude, IMO.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
max said:
X said:

Softli said he expects Stacy to close out games, but he won't get the majority of the carries early in the game. That makes sense to me. So I don't see a bell cow RB this year. The preseason will decided a lot. Can Richardson hold off Pead? And what about Cunningham? Reports are that Gannaway has slow feet. We shall soon see.

Those reports you are referring to are from one of the "camp reporters". I tried to point out that he is comparing Ganaway at 240 lbs, to much smaller and quicker backs doing the same agility drills. Why wouldn't he be "slower"? But for someone his size, he is far from slow.

When he gets his number called during the 11 on 11 sessions, he is as fast as anyone else. He just isn't the same kind of back as any of the other "top 4" guys. He hits the hole, and has not looked "slow" when given an opportunity.

He is the only true "big back" they have on the roster. I will be shocked if he isn't in the mix when the roster decisions are finalized.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
Those reports you are referring to are from one of the "camp reporters". I tried to point out that he is comparing Ganaway at 240 lbs, to much smaller and quicker backs doing the same agility drills. Why wouldn't he be "slower"? But for someone his size, he is far from slow.
I don't want to speak for Jimi, but I don't think he's comparing him to our speedier backs. That would be asinine. He's scouting Gannaway (his feet, specifically) on his own merits and based on what he feels RBs in general should exhibit. You tend to get a *feel* for that based on watching a bunch of different players at the same position over the course of a few decades. It's similar to how DR RAM scouts O-linemen. He doesn't compare zone blockers to road graders - he just scouts them based on their own merits and what he wants to see out of men who play that particular position.

I hope that clears it up a little. :ww:

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
CoachO said:
max said:
X said:

When he gets his number called during the 11 on 11 sessions, he is as fast as anyone else. He just isn't the same kind of back as any of the other "top 4" guys. He hits the hole, and has not looked "slow" when given an opportunity.

He is the only true "big back" they have on the roster. I will be shocked if he isn't in the mix when the roster decisions are finalized.
I totally agree coach. That's like comparing Austin and Cook; both are receivers but way different. I know we haven't seen much if anything in games from Gannaway, but from the film I've seen on him, I like the way he hits the hole and keeps on going. Doesn't look slow at all. I think he's gonna be just fine.

GO RAMS!!!!

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Great list Max. If I could add one factor, or discriminator if you prefer, that would help them improve on last year's record it would be recovering more fumbles. They forced 14 and only recovered 4. 4 fumble recoveries on defense was tied for last. You factor in that and #5 on your list (poor punt return units, and I think you're undervaluing the kick return, but maybe a topic for another thread) and it's no wonder that the Rams were dead last in average starting field position, and subsequently had to work harder to score points than any other offense in the league.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The RB position is gonna be pretty fluid I believe.

Heck, even TAustin is gonna get a few carries per game.

iced

Safeties worry me though for the deep passing games like the saints and falcons...

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
iced said:
Safeties worry me though for the deep passing games like the saints and falcons...

Quick. Tell me who the 4 starting Safeties are for the saints and falcons. Hint. They suck.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
max said:

I'm really hoping he becomes the best DT in the NFL. The guy everyone is talking about by the end of the year. Big Brock's got the size and athletic ability to do it. [hilite]How much does he want it[/hilite]?

How much do the Rams want it? I believe we're gonna see a very hungry Rams team.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
max said:
iced said:

Quick. Tell me who the 4 starting Safeties are for the saints and falcons. Hint. They suck.

Malcolm Jenkins and Roman Harper for the Saints, Thomas DeCoud and William Moore for the Falcons. Moore is one of the better strong safeties in the league. :ww: :razzed:

But in all seriousness, yeah, the other safeties do suck.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
iced said:

He meant when we face teams like the Saints or Falcons. Their safeties might suck, but their passing games will make every other team's safeties look just as bad.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think a bigger question mark then Brockers is Langford. Will he adjust better to the 4-3 now that he has been in it for a year. Will he have a bigger impact. Will he make us have to draft another DT early?