Dirk Koetter stayed in the NFC South, moving from Atlanta to Tampa as offensive coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Koetter says Bucs have plenty of talent on offense
Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2015, 5:42 PM EST
koetter.jpg
Getty Images
While the move doesn’t have the same sizzle as Rex Ryan jumping from the Jets to the Bills, Dirk Koetter stayed in the NFC South, moving from Atlanta to Tampa as offensive coordinator.

Formally introduced on Tuesday, Koetter addressed the talent the Bucs currently possess on offense.

“Number one, it starts with the head coach,” Koetter told reporters when asked what attracted him to Tampa. “It starts with Lovie Smith and his reputation as a leader and a head football coach in the NFL. And then, secondly, just the talent they have on offense. I mean, you look at the two 1,000-yard receivers [Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans], two or three really good young running backs, a good young tight end [Austin Seferian-Jenkins] — there’s some good skill guys there to build around. Every team in the NFL has some areas they’d like to improve and nobody has 11 starters that they’re in love with from the very first day, so it’s a work in progress. But, trust me, Tampa Bay, personnel-wise, is in better shape than one on the outside might think.”

The Bucs also have a pair of quarterbacks under contract.

“All I will say is Josh [McCown] has played some good football in his career and when Tampa drafted Mike [Glennon], I’ve watched Mike from afar — from the other side of the ball here in Atlanta – and from afar, I thought he had some of the same attributes as Matt Ryan,” Koetter said. “But that’s me looking at it from the outside, and until I get on the inside and get a chance to look at the tape and spend some time with those guys, I can’t give you much more than that.”

How Koetter eventually feels about McCown and Glennon could go a long way in determining whether the Bucs use the first overall pick in the draft on another one. If Koetter’s assessment of Mike Glennon proves to be accurate, they may be able to trade down and stockpile picks.